Are my cats too aggressive with eachother?

ladyanat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats, Triton, and Lancer who is about ten months younger. I got Triton about ten months before Lancer, but right from the begining Lancer has been the dominant one. They snuggle and play and do cat things, but lately when they have been snuggling together I'll hear this muffled sort of yowl and one cat would be attached to the others neck. I wasnt too worried about it until this morning when I picked Triton up and saw a piece of his face behind his whiskers about 1/2 cm in diameter was missing. Whenever I tried to pet him near it he would try to bite or scratch me. The only thing I can figure is that him and Lancer were fighting (they are indoor cats) and they got too agressive. Any feedback would be appreciated.
LadyAnat

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd try Feliway spray. It works and a lot of people here will agree its useful for agression. Spray it twice a day on the furniture where the cats, especially the aggressive one like to sit or sleep. Or get the plug-ins. Don't spray it near a scratching post or litter box. You can read up on it at www.feliway.com. Some pet stores sell it. Expensive but worth it in many cases.

3cathouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it gets worse you may want to talk to your vet about the behaviors. Turns out our Max warranted Elivil for aggression. He was fighting w/ the other cats & peeing on the carpet. The vet started asking other questions like does he bonk his head on *everything* (yes, I don't know how he didn't have a concussion), etc. Anyway, he has been on the meds for over a year and it really helps.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some of my cat buddies play with each other by throwing their arms around each other's necks and biting them. They usually land in pile tossing and turning and yowling at each other. Next thing you see is the 2 of them laying together either grooming each other or sleeping.

If the cats didn't like each other, they wouldn't be cuddling with each other and playing. The scratch may be just an anomoly, but I would watch both of them closely for a while. If it starts happening consistently, or they lose their bond with each other, then start to worry.

How old and are they neutered?

hiwatt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

Some of my cat buddies play with each other by throwing their arms around each other's necks and biting them. They usually land in pile tossing and turning and yowling at each other. Next thing you see is the 2 of them laying together either grooming each other or sleeping.?
ditto for my two cats.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hammie & Snickers (both neutered; ages 3 & 14) will fight like they are truly interested in a Duel to the Death. There have been many times I've had to break up a 'fight' or separate them, only to see minutes later, they're hanging out by the back door talking to the birds together.

They are just playing... it's never serious... even though, I will find tufts of Snickers long black fur stuffed inbetween Hammie's toes, and vice versa with Hammie's orange fur!

I know my boys don't hate each other cuz at nighttime they cuddle way too close to each other on my bed to hate each other. They're just used to being Alpha Males & they try to duke it out on occasion.

My mom's cats are doing this, too. Both males. Maybe it's Spring Fever?