Are my cats replacing me?

Clro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since i started school ive been spending less time at home however i try my best to attend my cats. I wake up an hour earlier just to feed em and play with them, as soon as i come back from school i give them a few cuddles if they want to and put some food, i also play w them a bit ( couldn't this few past days because they broke our toy lmao ), i also give a few treats a day. they would always follow me and they still do but im low-key noticing that theyre beginning to spend more time with my mom, earlier my cat was purring and cuddling with me and she moved and sat on my mom?? I don't understand it as im always sweet with them and my mom yells and scares them for fun.. she just lets them outside but i do that as well!! Im confused about what im doing wrong, I also give them alone time. Maybe im just jealous but theyre the only creatures that give me some company and im afraid to lose them oops.
Its true that my mom sometimes gives them some yummy food but not quite often

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Phew, for a second there I thought this was another instance of cats building a humanoid robot, ala Stepford Wives.

Think of it like a video game. Cats have a separate relationship meter for their relationship with each human. Feeding the cat, spending time around the cat, petting the cat, all make the meter go up. Not spending much time with the cat makes the meter go down, as does yelling. Your mom's relationship meter is going up some because she is there while yours has some downward pressure due to not being home as much. You can both potentially score a "great" relationship meter score though -- your mom improving doesn't mean you automatically go down. Sure, the cat can only pick one lap, and it might sting if its mom's, but that doesn't mean you don't still have a "great" meter score, and maybe next time it will be your mom thats envious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just saw this thread. It does make a difference in terms of how much time someone is 'around'. Feeby has always preferred me to my husband given when he was working, he was out of the house for at least 14 hours a day. Now that he has retired and spends more time with her than ever before, sometimes she 'gravitates' to him. It's all good, I think of it this way - she has two people to share time with, all the better for her!