Are my cats playing or fighting?

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 2 year old cat and we got a 12 week old kitten 2 weeks ago, they were doing excellent together. The older cat keeps biting the kitten now. I can't tell if this is play or fighting. Someone help

I have a video of the behavior but can't figure out how to post it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i put the video on youtube so that was i could post the video. help would be great.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for posting a video - very helpful! That's playing! The hops by older cat look playful and kitten doesn't run and hide - just lays there. Just be around in case big cat doesn't know his/her own strength or gets too wild.

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you very much for the help. i didnt know they would bite eachother during play like that.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's playing! Yep, they play-bite. ALL play in cats is practicing for the all-important hunt! And, your kitten isn't the least afraid of your cat, which he would be if it were a fight.

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So today I noticed loki the big cat. Jumping on the little ones back, biting hard, and the kitten meows and runs away and hides when loki let's him go.

tiggerwillow

Meowmy to Tigger and (Queen) Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
So today I noticed loki the big cat. Jumping on the little ones back, biting hard, and the kitten meows and runs away and hides when loki let's him go.
When you said he bit hard, was there blood drawn?

It still doesn't sound like Loki meant business, he wouldn't easily let the kitten run off if he really meant to hurt the kitten

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He does chase the kitten and does this repeatedly until the kitten gets to one of the multiple "safe spots" around the house. I just get nervous because loki does have a little history of getting play aggression and sometimes taking it too far with my wife. While he has been much better for a while now with that, I just want to make sure he isn't taking things too far.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Having those safe spots is important when the other cat is maybe overstimulated. Can you give Loki a verbal scold to let him know that behavior is bad? I know, cats do what they want, but have to at least let him know. Can you maybe stop or interrupt the play before Loki gets a bit too wild?

eddie02780

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what we do. But I'm just worried if we don't see or hear them.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So long as the kitten is not actively hiding from Loki when Loki is NOT playing rough, you're pretty much ok. Play between cats always looks much worse than it is, especially when there is a size difference. IF the kitten ever approaches Loki, that's your answer...he knows it's play, even when he has to hide sometimes.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For me, i dont allow this even if no blood. I remove the biting cat and guide to a kicker toy

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is he drawing blood, or is this more of an older kid giving a younger one a "noogie?" It makes a difference. But if you can distract the older one with a kicker toy, BY ALL MEANS, do so!