Are my cats playing or fighting?

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a video of my two cats, I couldn’t figure out another way to put it here. The black cat is Diego, male, about 13 years old. The gray one is Niko, also male, around 3yrs. I was laughing when I took the video but now I am a bit concerned that they may be actually fighting and not just playing. Diego was declawed by his previous owners so sometimes I am worried about him. Thank you!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just realized the video is still processing... sorry about that I don’t know when it will be ready to watch

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Here are my cats playing:

https://thecatsite.com/media/20170902_210227.420658/
https://thecatsite.com/media/vid_70290101_083332_894.421929/

As you can tell from my videos "playing" can vary between cats depending on their own personality and relationships. One key thing to remember with playing is that it technically is practice for fighting. Sometimes it can cross what humans would describe as play simply because it can be more serious or aggressive then what fun has become for us.

That aside, some key questions:
  • Is there blood or fur after play? Accidents do happen, but if you are frequently finding blood or fur then it is fighting.
  • Are either cats avoiding the other regularly? My cats can play a little rougher at times but they still butt heads, sniff butts and my girl still nudges her brothers to encourage them to groom her (pushy little girl really). Cats who are still civil outside of games are playing, cats who go out of their way to avoid each other are fighting.
  • Do they walk around with tails up around each other? Tails up indicate confortable which indicates play. Tails tucked under the body around each other can indicate discomfort or fear, so fighting.
  • Are they comfortable eating together? If so, playing. If not, could be fighting and they don't feel safe enough around the other to eat.
  • Do they puff up dramatically? Cats puff up to make themselves larger, so one puffing up is more likely fighting. Although ... my girl has jumped on one of the boys from a hidden spot, scaring him enough that he puffed. In that case, she started the game badly so I stepped in, separated and let them restart as play.
  • Are ears back? Most times, ears tucked back to protect them from damage indicates fighting because the cat fears damage. BUT, some cats, like my girl (she's special), tuck their ears down even in play.

Its basically one of those things of knowing your cat, their style and the relationship. Most of the time, there won't be one clear cut sign of pkay versus fighting in an established household. Its a combination of factors and knowing the cats. If introducing two cats, assuming you did slow steps, its letting them push the boundaries a little more ecah time they meet. They have to figure out how to get along which means letting them step on each other a little and figure out boundaries but stepping in if anyone is too upset or gets hurt.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catthecatlover

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here are my cats playing:

https://thecatsite.com/media/20170902_210227.420658/
https://thecatsite.com/media/vid_70290101_083332_894.421929/

As you can tell from my videos "playing" can vary between cats depending on their own personality and relationships. One key thing to remember with playing is that it technically is practice for fighting. Sometimes it can cross what humans would describe as play simply because it can be more serious or aggressive then what fun has become for us.

That aside, some key questions:
  • Is there blood or fur after play? Accidents do happen, but if you are frequently finding blood or fur then it is fighting.
  • Are either cats avoiding the other regularly? My cats can play a little rougher at times but they still butt heads, sniff butts and my girl still nudges her brothers to encourage them to groom her (pushy little girl really). Cats who are still civil outside of games are playing, cats who go out of their way to avoid each other are fighting.
  • Do they walk around with tails up around each other? Tails up indicate confortable which indicates play. Tails tucked under the body around each other can indicate discomfort or fear, so fighting.
  • Are they comfortable eating together? If so, playing. If not, could be fighting and they don't feel safe enough around the other to eat.
  • Do they puff up dramatically? Cats puff up to make themselves larger, so one puffing up is more likely fighting. Although ... my girl has jumped on one of the boys from a hidden spot, scaring him enough that he puffed. In that case, she started the game badly so I stepped in, separated and let them restart as play.
  • Are ears back? Most times, ears tucked back to protect them from damage indicates fighting because the cat fears damage. BUT, some cats, like my girl (she's special), tuck their ears down even in play.

Its basically one of those things of knowing your cat, their style and the relationship. Most of the time, there won't be one clear cut sign of pkay versus fighting in an established household. Its a combination of factors and knowing the cats. If introducing two cats, assuming you did slow steps, its letting them push the boundaries a little more ecah time they meet. They have to figure out how to get along which means letting them step on each other a little and figure out boundaries but stepping in if anyone is too upset or gets hurt.
Thank you! Based on your advice, I think I can safely say that they are just playing :) at one point they were kind of staring each other down but their tails were up and flicking around so it seemed pretty playful. They’re comfortable enough to sleep together and steal food from each other’s bowls so I don’t think I have much to worry about! Thank you!