Are my cats haunted?

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, hello, making an early morning post for a little incident that happened at 3:30 am, just a little while ago.
I was lying in bed after getting up to get some water and make sure my two 8 week old kittens were eating the food I left for them, and I heard this soft weird high pitched growly noise outside my door. I keep it closed so they don’t come exploring in here, and peeing, which has happened more than a few times already.
I open my door after realizing it was the cats, phone flashlight in hand, and see both of them underneath the stairwell that leads to the loft. They’re both poofed up and making odd noises, like you’d hear in a video of a cat fight, when they’re having their stand-off and making warning noises. They’re standing right next to each other facing the same direction, the stairs that lead up to the second floor, where we are.
Now, I’m not paranoid, but my mind usually goes to an unpleasant scenario such as, there’s someone in the house. However, I heard no noise, not even of the cats tussling about, which they’re doing in my room right now, because I didn’t want them to feel I abandoned them outside my room when they were freaked out by something. I mention not hearing them play-fighting because I though that was the next logical conclusion for why they were the most freaked out I’ve ever seen them.
Again, I’m not a paranoid person, nor am I one to say to anyone I meet, “ghosts are real.” But in media across the world, it’s said that cats are able to sense things that humans can’t, dating back to less modern times, so it’s something I keep on the mind.
This isn’t a very serious post, I just thought I’d share this story and see if anyone had anything to say. Do your cats do this at home too or do I have a haunted house?

additional bonus factoid I found doing a little research in a semi-spooked state, 3 am is know as the witching hour.

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had my ex feral len a couple of weeks after having my beautiful boy put to sleep. Len had just started coming into the living room, one evening he suddenly sat bolt upright, stared up at the ceiling...walked over and jumped on the sofa and lay on my chest with his head snuggled in my neck , which was my old boys favourite place..he stayed there for about 20 seconds, then jumped down. I’ve had len for a couple of months and he’s never done it again. I know at the time I was so sad and guilty about getting another cat so soon, but I took it as a sign that Pilch was ok with the new cat. What really happened idk, but it helped me at the time.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats have great hearing and noses but aren't geniuses. Your house could have been creaking in the wind, your AC could have been coming on or off, they could hear a dog barking outside, a mouse in the wall or 100 other things. Most cats wouldn't puff up for such things, but these are kittens that just got to your home and arent fully settled in yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
walked over and jumped on the sofa and lay on my chest with his head snuggled in my neck , which was my old boys favourite place..he stayed there for about 20 seconds, then jumped down. I’ve had len for a couple of months and he’s never done it again. I know at the time I was so sad and guilty about getting another cat so soon, but I took it as a sign that Pilch was ok with the new cat.
I’m tearing up a little, that sounds so sweet of your kitty. I’m glad you don’t feel guilty about taking in the feral because you’re really improving his life and giving him a loving home and, from what I could tell, it seems like Pilch also approved of it:redheartpump:

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Cats have great hearing and noses but aren't geniuses. Your house could have been creaking in the wind, your AC could have been coming on or off, they could hear a dog barking outside, a mouse in the wall or 100 other things. Most cats wouldn't puff up for such things, but these are kittens that just got to your home and arent fully settled in yet.
These two are definitely not up there on the genius scale, I can say for sure. They've actually been here for about 3 weeks so far as fosters. They’ve had time to hear the AC go on and off, cars pass by, and other neighborhood noises. So maybe we have a ghost problem or a mouse infestation...I’m not entirely sure which one is worse.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of things can spook a kitten. Eight weeks is pretty small to be roaming a house with everything looming over them. I would put ghosts at the bottom of the list of things.

I did think for a very long time that my girl Willow was seeing a ghost. For the first year she was with me she spent hours staring at one particular spot on the ceiling. Having just lost by 19 year old cat a week before I adopted her, I was thinking that she was sensing her presence. So months later I felt pretty silly when I discovered what she was actually staring at was a dangling cobweb.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the opposite experience. Came in contact with a ghost cat. I was downstairs in our basement (finished) and looked over to see the shadowy image of a cat walking in the room. It sat down and then disappeared. Of course, I ran upstairs and told my husband. I figured it was our former cat as at the time that was the only one we had that had passed. He didn't believe me. Until.... months later, he was down there and saw the same thing!! Then all of a sudden, it was true. :lol:

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Aww, I think having a ghost cat would be nice, as long as it didn’t knock things off of tables and counters in the middle of the night.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, I think having a ghost cat would be nice, as long as it didn’t knock things off of tables and counters in the middle of the night.
Never did that. Would just sit on the floor and then vanish. Haven't seen it in years though. I think once we got the two cats after her, she felt her guard duty was over and left. :ohwell:

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s even more cute, she must have loved you guys so much to stay for a while longer! Cats really are great :bluecat:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s even more cute, she must have loved you guys so much to stay for a while longer! Cats really are great :bluecat:
She loved my husband, not me. :lol: I was the "other woman" to her and she was not happy that I was sticking around.

She basically came with the house my husband was building before I met him. He'd see her every once in a while when he'd be there checking on the progress. Not long after we moved in (I met and married him within 3 months of us meeting), he was at work and I was home. I opened the door and she walked in and sat on our couch. I shooed her out because I didn't know if she had fleas or whatever.

We decided to keep her so I took her to the vet. She had been somebody's pet and dumped because she was already fixed and she had no fleas so she must have been inside somewhat. She was an indoor/outdoor cat because she wasn't accustomed to being totally indoors. We made the mistake of going on a long weekend soon after getting her and she trashed our house because she wasn't used to be locked inside all day.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s a little funny, your competition was a cat! Glad she made it over to your house instead living on the streets for the rest of her life, maybe her former owners dumped her or wandered too far :ohwell: Also, my condolences for your trashed house

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
These two are definitely not up there on the genius scale, I can say for sure. They've actually been here for about 3 weeks so far as fosters. They’ve had time to hear the AC go on and off, cars pass by, and other neighborhood noises. So maybe we have a ghost problem or a mouse infestation...I’m not entirely sure which one is worse.
I'd prefer the ghost. They don't reproduce🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁🐁

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am with A ArtNJ that there are a million good explanations for what a kitten reacts to, all of which are probably in the physical realm. Personally, I have never had any experience with anything like a spirit. However, I moderate a support group for GSD owners whose dogs all have the same incurable genetic illness, all guaranteed to die in the end from it, and there have been several stories about seeing ghost dogs from some very sensible and rational members.

Years ago I had an animal communicator come to the house, mostly just because I was curious for her to "talk" to my GSD. She did report that others of my deceased pets were in the room and seemed to be able to identify them. There were no pictures anywhere in the house and she had no connection to me through anyone who knew anything about my past pet ownership, like a vet or friend.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
That’s pretty cool that she knew that, and also very sad for all those dog lovers :frown: but lovely you’re all willing to stay with them through it.
The AC unit has been making an odd noise this afternoon so I’m not thinking it might have generated a weird noise from one of the vents and spooked the kitties. However, I still like to entertain the idea cats are more sensitive to other-worldly things, just because it’s a little cool.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the first few days i brought my cat home every noise spooked her. toilet flushing, water faucets, AC, fans, my computer noise. hell i have to 100% play games with headphones because videogame noises scared her.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Aw poor thing, was she a stray before you got her?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yeah, she spent the first few days 80% under the bed. nowadays she's out most of the time except if i turn on my car. i think she already associate cars with vet visit lol.

LilyandFosters

Kitten Foster
Young Cat
Purraise
Lol, it’s like the opposite of dogs hearing their owner shake their leash. My fosters haven’t had much time to get traumatized by the vet yet, so I think it’s going good so far

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i took her directly from the street to the vet and it was shocking lol. i already interacted with her before adoption and she's very affectionate and tolerate most other humans and love people who feed her. the first time it was unexpected and she ran zooming around the vet office and just terrified generally.