Are my cats fighting? Uploaded video...

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my first time ever owning two cats, i had the one cat for three years. So i have no idea when cats are fighting.

What my cats do in the video, they do it all the time, for a few seconds, and then lie down near each other.

By the way, thats my mom telling our dog to go lie down and leave the cats alone. lol

the3rdname

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IMO, no, they aren't fighting.  It almost looks as if they're gearing up for a fight, but then the action stops and they relax.  Cats that are fighting generally end up rolling around in a lightning quick blur of fur, there's a lot of noise (but not always), blood may be drawn, there will be tufts of fur on the floor and the cats will want to distance themselves from each other afterwards.  Fights are usually preceded by aggressive/defensive posturing, hissing, growling, fur standing on end; a real knock-down-drag-out doesn't start spontaneously.  

Rarely, a couple of my kitties will get into a little slap fight when they're feeling annoyed by each other.  It's always preceded by some sort of communication, though- a hiss, an intense stare, posturing- and I didn't see any of that in your video. 

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nah, it's just a little rough play.  Actual fighting would be very noisy, they would be very vocal, growling and the like, this is more slapping around.  How long have they been together?  I know you said you had the one for a while, and this is the first time with two, so just wondering how long they have been together.  They could be just feeling each other out a bit. 

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I'll third the others - that's just a game. Around here we call that a "whap-fight" They whap at each other for a few seconds to see who can get who and then they're done. Nothing to worry about. Random does this with his sister - she sits in the cat tree and he hops up and tries to whap her. She wins 99% of the time, then he climbs up next to her and they both sit in the tree looking out the window. 

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally agree with what the other members wrote. To me it just looks like play-fighting or "mock fighting".

There is more about actual fights here in the "Article" section...under the tab called "Cat Behaviour"..and then "Breaking up Cat Fights"....http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

The things that  @the3rdname wrote about real cat fights having "posturing" beforehand, hissing, growling, fur standing on end...are just not there in your video.

The only thing I saw was the ears laid back, and even this was minor, and changed in less than 30 seconds.

Your grey and white, seemed to just want to play with your other cat, and a short boxing/swatting match happened. 

It even looks like the cat in the box, was not bothered since he went to scratch his ear, and then jumped up to think about his next move on the grey/white.

I really am glad you posted your video, since it may show other members, what play fighting looks like..and what cues to look for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Nah, it's just a little rough play.  Actual fighting would be very noisy, they would be very vocal, growling and the like, this is more slapping around.  How long have they been together?  I know you said you had the one for a while, and this is the first time with two, so just wondering how long they have been together.  They could be just feeling each other out a bit. 
Ive had her maybe a month? They have only been together all day for the past couple of weeks. And thanks for the info! They are never noisy when they slap each other. She is noisy and hisses at the dog, she does this weird high pitched alarm noise. But she is starting to get along with him better.

And thanks everyone!

I totally agree with what the other members wrote. To me it just looks like play-fighting or "mock fighting".

There is more about actual fights here in the "Article" section...under the tab called "Cat Behaviour"..and then "Breaking up Cat Fights"....http://www.thecatsite.com/a/breaking-up-cat-fights

The things that  @the3rdname wrote about real cat fights having "posturing" beforehand, hissing, growling, fur standing on end...are just not there in your video.

The only thing I saw was the ears laid back, and even this was minor, and changed in less than 30 seconds.

Your grey and white, seemed to just want to play with your other cat, and a short boxing/swatting match happened. 

It even looks like the cat in the box, was not bothered since he went to scratch his ear, and then jumped up to think about his next move on the grey/white.

I really am glad you posted your video, since it may show other members, what play fighting looks like..and what cues to look for.

Thanks for the info, i will check out the link just for reference. The cat in the box is Kitty, she has been in my house with two other dogs for three years, i adopted her when she was 3 months old. I think she is trying to get used to play fighting, because in the beginning she would seem startled when my other cat Elsa would slap at her. lol

I'll third the others - that's just a game. Around here we call that a "whap-fight" They whap at each other for a few seconds to see who can get who and then they're done. Nothing to worry about. Random does this with his sister - she sits in the cat tree and he hops up and tries to whap her. She wins 99% of the time, then he climbs up next to her and they both sit in the tree looking out the window. 
That sounds hilarious! lol Thats pretty much what my cats do, they slap each other, and go lie down.

Last edited:

charlismom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's what I was thinking, as my Charli and my two kittens had some smacking around going on until they got to know what each other was all about.  It wasn't fighting, it was kind of playing with a little edge, like your video and what you are seeing.  I initially was intervening, then realized I really need to let them see for themselves what they are all about.  It did stop after a couple of weeks.  They do play rough now, but it's the tussling, chasing kind of playing, and when one gets too much for the other, there is usually a squeal and then it all stops on their own, they know their limits.  They did take some time to feel each other out.  My Charli was only 10 months at the time, but I had her since she was 6 weeks, so she didn't really have that give and take play long enough with littermates and learning what to do from her mama.  So when I caught the two feral kittens, there was some learning to do both from them, Charli, and from me.  But there was a little slapping, and what you show in your video, that did go on for a few weeks at times.  They really don't do that anymore, it's more of play fighting, chasing, wrestling now.  I would just watch them to be sure it doesn't get out of hand.  I did (and sometimes still do) find myself loudly clapping to break something up that seems a bit rough to me, but they all just turn and look at me like, what?  WHAT?   LOL    If you hear growling and nastiness, you'll know it, and that's when you'll have to deal with it.  But what they seem to be doing in the video you shared is normal kitty getting to know kitty, I believe.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

That's what I was thinking, as my Charli and my two kittens had some smacking around going on until they got to know what each other was all about.  It wasn't fighting, it was kind of playing with a little edge, like your video and what you are seeing.  I initially was intervening, then realized I really need to let them see for themselves what they are all about.  It did stop after a couple of weeks.  They do play rough now, but it's the tussling, chasing kind of playing, and when one gets too much for the other, there is usually a squeal and then it all stops on their own, they know their limits.  They did take some time to feel each other out.  My Charli was only 10 months at the time, but I had her since she was 6 weeks, so she didn't really have that give and take play long enough with littermates and learning what to do from her mama.  So when I caught the two feral kittens, there was some learning to do both from them, Charli, and from me.  But there was a little slapping, and what you show in your video, that did go on for a few weeks at times.  They really don't do that anymore, it's more of play fighting, chasing, wrestling now.  I would just watch them to be sure it doesn't get out of hand.  I did (and sometimes still do) find myself loudly clapping to break something up that seems a bit rough to me, but they all just turn and look at me like, what?  WHAT?   LOL    If you hear growling and nastiness, you'll know it, and that's when you'll have to deal with it.  But what they seem to be doing in the video you shared is normal kitty getting to know kitty, I believe.
Yes, i was intervening in the beginning too! lol I was like, why is this new cat slapping my baby? XD They didnt seem to want to hurt each other. But i just wanted to make sure I wasnt making a mistake by letting them fight like that, and that I could be pushing them into a real fight by not intervening. I am glad its just play fighting. Thanks for the help!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
[thread="292717"]Are My Cats Fighting Uploaded Video#post_3695818  [/thread][thread="292717"]Are My Cats Fighting Uploaded Video#post_3695818With this type of play fighting, it is actually good for the cats, since it gets them to exercise, and enjoy each other's play.[/thread]Ahh, so it's Elsa, that is the little play starter, and Kitty, who has to keep a lookout.  I don't blame Kitty, for being surprised for that out of the blue swat. 

Kitty looked to be comfortably sleeping, or resting in her box, and then out of no where, Elsa wants to play.

I do think that Kitty will get Elsa back, though, ....when Elsa is least expecting it. 

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 [thread="292717"]Are My Cats Fighting Uploaded Video#post_3695818  [/thread][thread="292717"]Are My Cats Fighting Uploaded Video#post_3695818With this type of play fighting, it is actually good for the cats, since it gets them to exercise, and enjoy each other's play.[/thread]
Ahh, so it's Elsa, that is the little play starter, and Kitty, who has to keep a lookout.  I don't blame Kitty, for being surprised for that out of the blue swat. 

Kitty looked to be comfortably sleeping, or resting in her box, and then out of no where, Elsa wants to play.

I do think that Kitty will get Elsa back, though, ....when Elsa is least expecting it. 

Yes, I know, i stopped intervening because i wanted to see what they would do. But i wanted to make sure they werent fighting.

I am seeing Kitty who is 3 years old, more active these days and running around. It makes me so happy.

Yeah, Kitty does get her back, she hides in corners, pounces on her, slaps her, and runs away.

Just want my girls to be happy, and safe.

Last edited: