Are changes after neutering normal?

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
A bit of background info I have eight cats that all have a cat room and they’re with each other 24/7 recently I had two of my males fixed my boy Wuggy is a year old and the younger one is Dexter and he is five months old they’ve never really been interacting with each other until now, I’ve had them crated together since the surgery and now Waggy has been mothering/fathering Dexter I guess I’m just curious if that’s normal or if it’s just because they’re close to each other now also after being neutered well he has been a lot more loving towards me and a more “friendly “cat he’s never been mean he’s just to himself most of the time but it seems like neutering him changed him a little bit? I obviously don’t really mind I think it’s super sweet that he cleans his little brother but really just curious, thanks !

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since the surgery? If it has been a little while, yes it could be put down to the hormones leaving his body and taking with it some of his aggression and the need to be alone. If he started being nice right away, it could be the trauma they both experienced, like war buddies. They clung to each other because they were so scared and unsure of what was going on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cattycoves

Following mama kitty
Young Cat
Purraise
How long has it been since the surgery? If it has been a little while, yes it could be put down to the hormones leaving his body and taking with it some of his aggression and the need to be alone. If he started being nice right away, it could be the trauma they both experienced, like war buddies. They clung to each other because they were so scared and unsure of what was going on.
It’s been 5 1/2 days, he’s never been a mean cat he’s just not too interested in his siblings or playing he always seemed like the type of cat that slept a lot and ate and went back to sleeping but last night was the first time he’s even tried to play with me I’ve had them both almost 2 months and he’s never done that before! Maybe it’s in my head but I think having him fixed really let him calm down, he acts like a cat now and not so standoffish at first I thought it was just his personality but after this I dunno, I just thought I’d ask to see what others thought ! Thank you ! If anything I’m happy if he’s happy :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A bit of background info I have eight cats that all have a cat room and they’re with each other 24/7 recently I had two of my males fixed my boy Wuggy is a year old and the younger one is Dexter and he is five months old they’ve never really been interacting with each other until now, I’ve had them crated together since the surgery and now Waggy has been mothering/fathering Dexter I guess I’m just curious if that’s normal or if it’s just because they’re close to each other now also after being neutered well he has been a lot more loving towards me and a more “friendly “cat he’s never been mean he’s just to himself most of the time but it seems like neutering him changed him a little bit? I obviously don’t really mind I think it’s super sweet that he cleans his little brother but really just curious, thanks !
There is no way to know for sure what caused it. I think 6 days is too soon for hormones to lower a lot but that can vary from cat to cat maybe. It could also be as mentioned them having had procedures and bonding due to that and his not feeling good brought out the mom in his brother.

It is typical for both males and females to calm down and become more social after neuter/ spay.

That is cute they have become buddies and he is being a mom to Waggy. My Wizard was a mom to a foster kitten Ari who defended him against the wrath of Sybil. They were bff. Wizard had already been neutered for a long time and Ari was as I recall maybe. But Wizard was a sweetie before neuter too. He was so gentle and loving with Ari. It broke my heart when they were separated and I never fostered again after that.

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unaltered cats are always in competition for mates, even when young. Neutering takes away the biological drive to compete for mates.

Now that your males are both neutered, they no longer have the need to compete and expend their energies forging relationships with other cats instead of trying to out compete them.

Yes, neutering DOES change behavior. That's one of the main reasons why we do it.
I think that you are seeing the beginnings of these changes and, if things keep going on the path they are on, I think you'll have some happy, healthy cats in your family! :)