Are cats with more whiskers more skittish?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an 8 month old home-raised kitten that is very fond of us. She is still rather skittish with us, however. She will run to the bed if I go into the bedroom, but she doesn't like to be too close, and will scoot a bit further way after some petting. She likes to come on the back of my desk chair, and will stay there and get petted indefinitely. She won't do the lap, but had a short phase where she would allow me to hold her against my chest with one hand and pet her. She will meow for attention, and then run to the living room chair where she will sit on the back of it. Its all good, just trying to figure out a bit I guess. She has a lot of extra whiskers in various places, like the ears and such. I know thats normal, but do cats with that get so much more sensort info that they are more skittish? Admittedly, that maybe isn't the best explanation, as she will stay in close proximity in some situations but not others.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t think so. It’s just the underlying personality of some cats to be more nervous and cautious than most. I have has this with kittens I have gotten very young so I know it isn’t always caused by early trauma. They just are the way they are. But of course she may change as she ages, you never know.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think, along with susanm9006 susanm9006 , that this is "just your cat." They have such individual personalities, ranging from "I own this place" to "OH SPIT HOW DID I GET HERE?" And everything in between!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think the whiskers could be a factor. The whiskers are super sensitive sensors. Not only do they indicate to the cat a sense of space but they catch air currents and even vibrations. It’s an interesting theory and I can see that, possibly, the more whiskers, the more in tune to surroundings. As a kitten this might be stimulating but I would think that with reassurance and gentle handling as the kitten learns, it will adjust and understand those tingly feelings are okay and the skittish reaction will settle. Very interesting observation. I am going to check my cats and their whiskers!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think its the personality really more then the whiskers. An under socialized kitten is going to be more fearful and sensitive to things while a kitten who was well socialized and used to loud noises and such won't be scared at all. Some kittens are always a bit more timid then others I find to. 8 month old kittens are in the teenage stage so they tend to be less cuddly I find. My girl Ceriah is 9 months old and she loves to be petted but is only a lap kitten every once and awhile to. As they get older they tend to become more cuddly. It will take time and lots of love, but your baby will come around :)