Are Cats Really Nocturnal?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my female cats, Cucumella, who crossed the bridge a year ago at 16 years of age and 4 years old Sombra, adopted 7 months ago, have always slept throughout the nigth with me on my bed without waking me up or disturbing me in any way.

Now then I have often HEARD and even read that cats are nocturnal. I cannot imagine that Cucumella and Sombra are exceptions. So I would very much appreciate some information on other members experience and opinions on this matter if only to be able to reply to people who insist that "ALL cats are nocturnal so that mine must also be". :frown::argh:

It occurs to me that perhaps it is the feral cats who are nocturnal because that is when they can hunt their preys? :runningcat:

smosmosmo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are technically crepuscular, which means they're most active at dusk. I've noticed exactly the same as you with the kitties in my life - none of them have had serious issues sleeping most of the night, minus some nighttime craziness. My Smo is more active around bedtime but will settle into bed with me once I'm ready to sleep, then continues to sleep until morning.

Dusk is a different story though, as soon as the sun goes down she's ready to be craaazy.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
eah, they're crepuscular, but I feel like kittens tend to be more nocturnal (or maybe it's just that they're always hyper).
I think that is due to instinct. Feral cats are more nocturnal because their food (prey) comes out at night whereas domestic cats don't need to spend so much of their energy on hunting. House cats also mimic our patterns of activity and adjust their schedules to fit with ours.

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of my cats, even my previous cat, liked when I turned the light off so for as long as I can remember I sleep with my bedside lamp on. :rolleyes2: I'm only allowed to turn it off when a bit of light begins to come in through the curtains so this is the story of how my sleeping schedule is a complete mess because of cats!