Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

· Are Cats Better Pets Than Dogs ?

Discussion in 'The Cat's Meow' started by JamesCalifornia, Jun 5, 2019.

1. JamesCalifornia

JamesCalifornia Thread Starter TCS Member Top Cat

Apr 1, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Lari purraised this.

2. Katie M

Katie M TCS Member Top Cat

Jun 1, 2017
    Kingwood, WV
    I certainly do :catrub:

3. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    Yes. Of course they are. :dancingblackcat::dancingblackcat:

4. GaryT

GaryT TCS Member Alpha Cat

Feb 4, 2019
    Northeast USA
    I don't know why but I simply like cats more than dogs. Dogs, like all animals, seem to like me (you should see how a couple of my friends dogs mob me when I visit) But, cats are more laid back and easier to have around. IMHO

ItsMaryann and JamesCalifornia purraised this.

5. mightyboosh

mightyboosh TCS Member Top Cat

Jul 19, 2017
    Burnley, UK
    I have two dogs and three cats and the cats are far far easier as pets. The only problem with the little cat critters is the scratching of furniture etc. Apart from that....perfecto.

ItsMaryann and GaryT purraised this.

6. neely

neely May the purr be with you Staff Member Forum Helper

Dec 22, 2005
    There's definitely a lot of truth in this article. However, having both cats and dogs I consider myself an equal opportunity animal lover. ;) I don't personally think one is better than the other since they both have unique qualities/characteristics but I would agree cats are easier to care for than dogs.

In addition to getting a good amount of exercise with my dog I felt he was better than any security alarm on the market, e.g. always alerting me to someone near the house and chasing solicitors away. Both cats and dogs can read your emotions and offer comfort. I do not allow my dog on the furniture but my cat can go anywhere he chooses. :biggrin:

Maria Bayote purraised this.

7. kittyluv387

kittyluv387 TCS Member Top Cat

Sep 10, 2015
    Cats are definitely better for someone like me. I'm introverted and lazy. Need I say more? Lol

kunoichi9280, vince and Jem purraised this.

8. Willowy

Willowy TCS Member Top Cat

Mar 1, 2009
    South Dakota
    Certainly depends what you want to do with your pets. Cats aren't going to go jogging with you :D.
    :yeah:

neely purraised this.

9. amethyst

amethyst TCS Member Alpha Cat

Nov 25, 2016
    Alberta, Canada
    Well I agree with most things on the list, it does seem to depend on the cats and dogs, some don't really fit what was said for or against them. I have cats that have no respect for personal space, one that screams when she wants something, my dogs are pretty quiet unless there is a reason they don't bark all the time, etc. It also depends on where you live, your lifestyle, and what you want in a pet. Someone could easily make the same kind of list of why dogs are better. I have both cats and dogs, and both are useful in their own ways because they service different purposes.

10. aliceneko

aliceneko TCS Member Top Cat

Dec 28, 2017
    London, England
    Whilst I'm a cat owner (I would love to be a dog owner too, but my schedule doesn't suit a dog) I agree. I think dogs and cats both have their own quirks and perks that makes them good pets - and it does depend on the individual animal, too. Just like humans, cats and dogs have different personalities (just like we all don't fit the personality of our star signs, cats and dogs don't all fit the personalities we expect of them or their breed). I think a more unique perk of cats though is that they are less "demanding" than dogs in the sense that they don't need daily walks etc, which appeals to many people, like me, who don't have the right lifestyle to accommodate a dog.

kunoichi9280 purraised this.

11. Animal Freak

Animal Freak TCS Member Super Cat

Mar 18, 2016
    I really don't see how anyone can say one is better than the other. Cats and dogs are two completely different creatures with different ways of thinking and behaving. Which one is better is up to the individual. I personally don't believe everyone can get along with either cats or dogs just as we can't get along with every human we come across. We all have different ways of thinking and behaving. I love both and couldn't imagine my life without having both of them.

Honestly, the majority of the things on that list are way too generalized. My 8lb cat takes up more space in my bed than my 14lb dog. Not to mention litter boxes, cat trees, and scratchers that take up space. Costs depends on the health of the animal and where you get them from. I'm pretty sure one of my cats has cost more in vet bills alone than the other two cats and the dog combined have in vet bills and initial costs. Some cats are louder than others and some dogs are quieter than others, so that depends on the individual cat and individual dog you're comparing. After living in a trailer for the majority of my life, I found cats did not keep rodents away. Moving to a real house did. Lack of litter boxes is one thing I actually prefer about dogs. If you have a backyard then you just kick them out there for a few minutes every now and then. Cats understand their personal space, yes, but I wouldn't say they understand ours. And they both provide health benefits. Cats might purr, but dogs get you up and moving more.

Maria Bayote purraised this.

12. Lari

Lari TCS Member Top Cat

Nov 18, 2017
    I have never had to take my cat outside for a walk or to use the bathroom during a polar vortex. You can't beat that!

JamesCalifornia purraised this.

13. Maria Bayote

Maria Bayote Mama of 4 Cats, 3 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans Super Cat

Jan 15, 2018
    Doha
    As what some said, there should be no comparison. Being a Mama myself of both cats and dogs (and even birds!), each one is different on its own, and also depending on the kind of lifestyle a pet owner has.

I grew up with dogs, and only several years back that I started my love affair with cats. I do not prefer my life any other way, or to prefer a dog from a cat or vice versa. :)

neely purraised this.

14. amandawinit247

amandawinit247 Catpuccino Love Kitten

Tuesday
    I don't want to say one is better than the other, but I do love cats more. I prefer the calmness of cats (even the more skittish cats can be calm around you if they trust you). It helps my anxiety.

15. solomonar

solomonar TCS Member Alpha Cat

Jan 13, 2017
    Romania
    In my view, humans lost in time the feeling of being part of the Animal Kingdom.

Love for pets looks then to me like sparks from the original Fire to which all Creatures Souls are part of.

From this perspective, love for a certain taxa of pets (e.g. Canidae or Felidae) is a matter of reasoning to an individual mindset rather than a matter of matching lifestyle or a matter of taste (in the sense one likes tomatoes and another one - cucumbers :-)).