are cats attracted to humans of the opposite gender?

salsanchips

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wanted to throw this out there and get some opinions. I have three cats, two males and a female. Of the three, the female is by far the most affectionate, the one who sleeps with me and comes looking for attention every morning when I sit down at the computer to work (the lap time "belly stomp").

The two males, not so much, although one of them, Doodad, does occasionally sleep with me or come up to me doing the "back arch" thing with the tail straight up ("pet me NOW!"). The other male, Ponce, is more reclusive, allows me to pet him, but tends to put the ears back and leave if I do it for more than a few seconds (I love him anyway).

Recently, a female friend of mine came over to sit them for a few days. She reported that Ponce was all over her, wanting attention, getting in her lap, etc. ("he's my new boyfriend now!" she said). That is totally unlike how he behaves around me. And on top of that, the female, Moonbat, totally avoided her.

Okay, so opposite behavior from my cats between opposite human genders.

I am just wondering if other people have noticed this as well, if it is a "known, known" regarding cat behavior.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I think it depends on the personality of the cat. My female clings to me and I am female. My male is a bit more aloof. Rarely does he get affectionate though he does let me pet and hug him

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm male and both my male cats stick to me like glue and will hardly let me leave a room without them running in front to keep guard.

x2006nkg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a male cat, but he's a love bug so he will be all over anyone, regardless of their gender. But, my friend has a male cat who seems to be more affectionate towards males (soo .. not quite what you asked, but since he seems to prefer one gender I thought I'd comment). Four of us used to live together (three females and one male) and the boy kitty much preferred our male roommate. He'd kind of just leave us females alone, and we'd see him cuddling on the couch with our male roommate. 

catbehaviors

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm female, my male cat sleeps and my bed and is a real sweetheart, but he is also quite aloof sometimes. Should I say that he pretty much hates men? Or at least plumbers with heavy boots on. :lol3:

meuzettesmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have eight cats now. I have had fifteen. Each was different. That is what I keep telling the cat haters around me. You can't say you hate cats. Because each cat is different. night and day some. There is a cat out there that will connect to you. You and he/her will have to find each other. Then the magic begins.

People don't beleive me that there is nothing better than to have a friendship with a cat. The tight one. I have had a few. male/ female it didn't matter about that.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, well I have 5 and I am not convinced it is the sex of the cat that determines which sex in humans they prefer.  My oldest, Piper, loves only me but she will let other WOMEN pet her.  She hisses and snarls at men!   Phoebe (her younger sister) loves EVERYONE!  She can be a huge flirt with men, though.  I call her my little hussy!  Haha!!  Paige, again only seems to like women.  She seems afraid of men and will hide if a man is around.  They even talk nice to her but she won't have anything to do with them.  King Arthur loves me and only me.  He will let men pet him but other women, he shy's away from.  Morgan La Fay likes both sexes equally. 

I think it is more the personality of the cat, as well. 

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's a bit of the personality of the cat, and conditioning as well.  For instance, if they came to you older, and had a bad reaction to a male or female, regardless of the cat's gender, they may respond poorly to anyone of that gender.  As for the first; personality - cats just like some people better than others as is always evidenced and I don't think it has anything to do with gender in that case at all.

My male cat, Casper, loves my BF and I equally but I do think he has a deeper bond with my BF because he's been around the house more than I.  But he seeks us both out, is affectionate with both of us, trusts us both to flop over for belly rubs, and depending on his mood; if we're in separate rooms will spend time with which ever one of us interests him more at that moment.  Casper came to us from a male friend, with a son so I do think he was more used to being around male energy but in general he likes everyone he comes in contact with.  He's an equal opportunity kitty! 

kcjpwinn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it depends on the person and the cat. We have a male cat, who is very affectionate to both my husband and I. But when both of us are present, he would stay by my husband vs me. Our newly adopted female cat, she would spend the equal amount of time with each of us, then runs away to play or lay in her bed.   

mingking

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think maybe some cats like a certain way a person may talk and pet them. I've watched a few shows about cat behaviour and they've advised a few times to speak to a cat a certain way to calm them. 

dillon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
  I would like to add an thought, because I find these sorts of studies interesting.  I have found that they have (cats) as many, and as profuse a variety of characters as human beings. I believe it is the amount of loving attention these, and some other varieties of creatures receive that dictates the depth of their characters, and the loving endorsement, they give back to their human companions.