Are Cat shelters w/ one or 2 doors better?

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I heard w/ 1 door it is safer, as a predator can catch a kitty if it runs out another back door. The Kitty Tube I have says this, as part of why it has only front door.

Others say, a back door keeps kitty from being trapped/cornered should a predator get it.

But a coyote can't fit in the Kitty Tube & here in AZ they're a worry as maybe other dogs too. Anyone chime in here as to what is best?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Two doors/openings are better and safer.

Yes, one opening keeps the kitty trapped with no way out should a predator enters the shelter. A cat is very fast to get away if threatened and they have the agility and are able to jump up on objects and climb up trees to escape danger.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Uh oh. He's been in his Kitty Tube 2 yrs now. Hmm, maybe time to rethink this on my end.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I noticed that the ferals here, if given a choice, went into shelters with more than one exit. I have seen cats choose one exit if it was pointed upwards, as in a box or crate. I think that could keep them trapped though. One exit only helps if it is easily defended. Coyotes can’t climb trees. Any chance you can put the tube up high enough that the coyotes and dogs cannot reach it? Perhaps a very narrow walkway leading up to it would help if the kitty is an older cat.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well being we're 2nd flr unit & its lowered daily to 1st flr unoccupied unit for the 2yrs now, I can't get it anywhere else really, as apt mngr already has a fit if they see it during daylite hrs.

So until we hopefully move out soon this coming next few months, I'm needing leave it there. But back door on unit on 1st flr (under us) is open, so he has entire unit to hide should he need it.

So until we go from here I'll keep close watch on him, even more so than I do already. TY all for the info so far. :)

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has an entire unit? That sounds like a great hiding place. You’re doing a lot already to keep him safe. Wow! If this has been working for 2 years, then hoping it’s all good until you move. Bravo for going to such lengths to save him!

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always started out with 2 openings and once the cats were comfortable inside the shelter, I would patch the second hole up. I did the purely to keep them warmer in the winter. Yet none of my feral cats would go into a shelter and stay with only one hole. If he has been there the entire time with one hole, I would think he's just fine and feels safe. Most feral cats will not hang out where they do not feel safe.

movinintime

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
TY everyone!:)

Yes, the apt under us has to be renovated. So they left it open in case of leaks, etc. He goes in but it has concrete floors as rugs are out. He hides in places in it but mostly he stays outback in the yard. It has a patio slab & that's where his Kitty Tube sits along w/ the food I give him at least 3-4 times/day.

He eats alot, I feed him raw Stella & Chewy's Selects both chick & turk. Also morsels of their raw Rabbit but not much of this, as it has bones in it & thus not good for potential kidney probs. He is unfortunately SDMA positive, meaning has the genes for poss kidney disease down the rd or earlier kidney disease. Unsure tho if/when he'd get it. Let's hope he never gets kidney probs.

Also being FiV pos. I am soon getting him to vet again, hopefully next Wed. 1/29 & he will stay 2 nites & come home Fri. 1/31 after his neuter surg on 1/30 & his recovery overnite til the day of the 31st. He has his house & thus he seems ok & safe in it. Rain last 2 nites but it is dry & warm inside. He has 2 Snuggles Safe microwave heat pads I heat up prior to dark every nite & I reheat the following day, repeating this.

All in all I'm lucky he's stuck around for almost 3yrs of feedings now. He came about Mar.-Apr. '17 (tho we think we saw him come & go about 4 yrs or so ago we think) & amazingly has come & settled in the yard down there as a fixture daily. In the warm s. AZ sun by day & in Tube by nite. More as I know it re his journey. ;)