Are Boy Cats (or) Girl Cats; Better At Sharing The House With A Dog?

RoofTopPigeon

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are Boy Cats (or) Girl Cats; Better at Sharing the House with A Dog?
(or) Does That depend more on the Individual Cats Personality?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, there are no confirmed differences between timely spayed & neutered cats at all. You will find lots of very experienced people that do believe there are certain differences, but no real consensus.

Make sure to read the cat - dog introduction guide in the articles tab above.

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would depend on the individual cat. My friend had eight cats, a service dog, and a non-service dog. Her cats and dogs get along. She had five females and three males. My cats have been around her service dog. Of my nine, one male and two females hate the dog. We have to keep Simon in a separate room because he has attacked it.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think a young kitten will accept a dog more readily. That said I think a lot of it comes to the training of the dog, catifying your home and the temperaments of the animals involved. Whenever people post about adopting a cat or adding a cat to a house with dogs I refer them to a show on Animal Planet called Cat vs Dog. Look it up on YouTube; it should help you.

:goodluck:

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
It isn't sex based, but it can be breed related. Maine Coons, for example, have a reputation for doing a bit better with dogs, probably due to their size and temperament.

The breed of the dog matters, a lot, too. Some breeds are especially bad with cats (Terriers, for example are not recommended, as I recall)

So, start them young, use breeds that are known for getting along (both the cat and the dog), and have low expectations. ;)

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just depends on the dog and cats! I’ve only had boy cats and they’ve all gotten along with dogs. There was some tail slapping occasionally but we were able to train the cats to not do that anymore. Our dogs never minded the tail slapping as they had a good temperament but all dogs have different personalities so make sure interaction is supervised!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hunting dogs do not do well with cats. When I was a kid we had Norwegian elkhounds & they tried to hunt/kill everything that was in the backyard! Or the bad husky who was playing/hunting Nick when he tried to pull him out of a tree and de-gloved the bottom 1/3 of his tail!!!! Nick now has a short tail but is all healed up.

So train your dog on obedience, catify & remember a medium/large dog can kill a cat in seconds! So when in doubt, keep them separate!

esco98

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Btw the dogs that didn’t mind the tail slapping were a large pit bull, all 3 of my labs, a dachshund, and our German Shepard mix(:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience totally individual on the cat's part. And the dog's part. I wouldn't have a cat with a greyhound or other dogs with the strong chasing prey drive that hasn't been cat tested though.
Both male and female cats in the past have been fine with my past dogs.