Are bonito flake pet treats any different to normal bonito flakes?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all! Recently bought a bag of bonito flakes from Cat-Man-Do when ordering some other stuff internationally, and both my cats go crazy at having some flakes a few times a week. As they're branded for pets and I have to import 'em, it works out fairly expensive, as compared to bonito sold for cooking. Other than the shape of the flakes (the ones I've seen sold locally for cooking look much more like wood chips in shape, rather than the thin sheets the cat-man-do fakes are sold in), is there any actual important difference between the two, nutritionally?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Items made for human consumption can have seasonings or preservatives that the cat version may not have. If the Bonito flakes you find at the supermarket don't have any additional ingredients then they should be fine for your cat. I'd actually try a small piece and make sure they taste similar too to ensure there isn't something that got lost in translation on the label if it is coming from overseas.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome, I was hoping as much! Bonito flakes are essentially just flakes of smoked fish, so I imagine most won't contain preservatives or other additives, but I'll be sure to double check everything.