Are Blue Buffalo and Taste of the Wild good foods?

rubythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now, I am feeding Ruby (my 12 year old turkish angora) Taste of the Wild dry cat food, and Blue Buffalo wilderness canned cat food. Are these two good foods? I can switch to Wilderness Core very easily if these two foods aren't good :)

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, one thing that they both have going for them is that both are a bit pricey.

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Both are higher in plant protein than meat protein. Very starchy.

In the same price area are better foods such as Nature's Variety.

Have you thought about going 100% wet?

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Interesting point,Manx.

I just counted the protein sources in the Blue Buffalo Basics dry food, Turkey Limited Ingredient recipe.  Of the first 20 ingredients, only two are animal protein.  Lots of vegetables, pumpkin, alfalfa, flax seed etc.  And it's 32 bucks for a 11lbs bag!!! Gag me!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both are higher in plant protein than meat protein. Very starchy.

In the same price area are better foods such as Nature's Variety.

Have you thought about going 100% wet?
Ruby refuses to switch to wet only... do you suggest that I switch the wet food to Nature's variety? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubythecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Interesting point,Manx.

I just counted the protein sources in the Blue Buffalo Basics dry food, Turkey Limited Ingredient recipe.  Of the first 20 ingredients, only two are animal protein.  Lots of vegetables, pumpkin, alfalfa, flax seed etc.  And it's 32 bucks for a 11lbs bag!!! Gag me!!!
I will probably drop blue buffalo once I use up all of my 60 cans 
 After that, what wet food do you suggest I start feeding instead? 

manx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ruby refuses to switch to wet only... do you suggest that I switch the wet food to Nature's variety? 
Yes, if possible.

I also recommend Fancy Feast Classics and Purina ProPlan Free Nature pates. They are grain free and have very little plant matter, also cheap. Don't be concerned with byproducts...cats eat organs and everything in the wild, it doesnt bother them! :)

Weruva, Tiki Cat, Koha, ZiwiPeak, Feline Naturals, Fussie Cat, Wellness CORE, Nutro, and Nature's Logic also make good wet foods.

My only issue with the TotW cat food is that all formulas have a lot of fish. A lot of fish in a cat's diet isn't good for them. High in starch too.

Nature's Variety Instinct and Ultimate Protein are okay dry foods. All dry food is going to be high in starch but there are some with less.

Rawz and Tiki Cat make good dry too. ZiwiPeak also.

Last edited:

thegreystalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wet/canned Suggestions...by cost; lowest to highest

Friskies Poultry Platter

Friskies Cat Concoction Salmon & Chicken Liver

Sheba Pate

Triumph

Natural Value

Max Cat Pate

Purina Pro Plan True Nature Classic

Purina Beyond Pate

oldgloryrags88

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They're both good brands. I prefer Taste of the Wild (especially the river canyon one). I also prefer the Blue Buffalo Wilderness varieties and their Freedom lines. I don't use their Healthy Living anymore or their Basic lines -- too high in carbs-- those two are not very good options in my mind.