Are Allergies Usually Caused by Main Protein Or Secondary/Filler Ingredients?

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! Enzo has IBD so foods are tricky. I’ve read some articles that made me wonder if instead of the main protein causing his symptoms (chicken, turkey etc) it could be a filler or secondary ingredient like eggs or pea protein. I know for a fact that green mussels in Ziwi Peak and Koha are definite allergens for him, and I had previously blamed the protein in those foods (venison, lamb). I’m wondering if it might be okay for me to try proteins that I had previously ruled out, if it’s true that the secondary ingredients could be the cause.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Food allergies can be caused by anything in the food. Protein is a common culprit but sometimes it's another ingredient that causes it. A cat could eat chicken of one brand just fine but another similar food may cause a reaction because it contains an ingredient that triggers the reaction.

It's helpful to keep track of the ingredients in the foods you feed and symptoms. Then take a look and see if there is a common ingredient that might be a trigger. That's how TCS member Cheeser started tracking her cat's multiple food allergies. That log is the basis of this chart.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know for a fact that green mussels in Ziwi Peak and Koha are definite allergens for him, and I had previously blamed the protein in those foods (venison, lamb). I’m wondering if it might be okay for me to try proteins that I had previously ruled out, if it’s true that the secondary ingredients could be the cause.
Yes, do try the proteins again, in simpler recipes. Just keep track of ingredients, as LTS3 LTS3 suggested. It can also be really helpful to keep a "catlog" with adverse incidents: that's what helped me figure out one of our cats had problems with green mussels.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, do try the proteins again, in simpler recipes. Just keep track of ingredients, as LTS3 LTS3 suggested. It can also be really helpful to keep a "catlog" with adverse incidents: that's what helped me figure out one of our cats had problems with green mussels.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ty3535

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I was super bummed about the green mussels because it seems most of the highest quality foods contain them. I was keeping a log but I was mainly tracking proteins. I’ve had him on kangaroo which he did great with but unfortunately the company that made the food changed the recipe and added a whole bunch of fillers including carrageenan, so I had to switch to the Nutro. I think eggs/egg products are another issue. Thanks so much again!

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! I was super bummed about the green mussels because it seems most of the highest quality foods contain them. I was keeping a log but I was mainly tracking proteins. I’ve had him on kangaroo which he did great with but unfortunately the company that made the food changed the recipe and added a whole bunch of fillers including carrageenan, so I had to switch to the Nutro. I think eggs/egg products are another issue. Thanks so much again!
You're welcome! I know what you mean about the mussels: they're in lots of good foods. There were a couple that had both mussels and agar-agar, which bothered our other cat (most likely both cats since Edwina barfed less after we got rid of agar-agar but didn't stop until we took her off the supplement with the mussels, too), so you might want to keep an eye on that one, too.

I am really crossing my fingers that we never have a problem with eggs!