aprox. 3 week old Vietnamese kitten --EMERGENCY__

thekittykeepers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have similar issues regarding finding homes for our rescues. We fall in love with them so easily, it is impossible to let them go. We have tried to find new homes for a few of the kittens, but nobody seems to have the conditions that we would feel comfortable releasing the them too.

So we have every cat we ever rescued, still with us. We have stopped trying to find homes for them, and will keep them all to ourselves. We just don't believe they will ever be lived the way we live them. And 30 cats is a huge challenge, but well worth it to us.

Glad you found a vet that will take care of his needs. There dewormer should be done at least twice, at 14 days interval. To be safe, 3 times is best. The dewormer we buy from the vet, is seemingly very effective, natural, and as long as the dosage is right causes no distress for the kids. They actually like it. A bottle costs a few dollars in the Philippines, I can't imagine it being much more in Vietnam.

Our vet locally, has always done free check ups of all our rescues, she understands that we have our hands full, so we appreciate any help we can get. But we bring them a steady supply of funding for all their needs, so I think it is a very fair relationship. They are even helping us out with the cost of spaying so many cats, which we have to do in groups of two or three at a time. It will take til the end of the year to have them all done. We get the boys neutered, so we don't have any more litters.

Anyway, good luck with your new baby, please update us with some photos if of can, would love to see how he is making progress in his new home.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Short tails are really common in Japan too. I guess it's just an Asian thing. Actually short tailed cats are preferred here, there's some silly superstition about long tailed cats being demons.

People are fairly tolerant of cats, I live in a very rural area and quite a few people feed them. TNR is almost unheard of though, people seem to think that letting kittens die if disease or get killed on the road is a sufficient way of controlling the population.

@Thekittykeepers  I have trouble finding good homes for my rescues too. I think I've rehomed about a dozen kittens, but I have 23 cats living with me now.

@MeaganAndAlbert  how long are you going to be in Vietnam?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,

The little man had his first check-up today. I took a poop-sample with me and it's being tested for worms. 

Firstly, i'd like to say what an excellent and caring man the vet (Hai) was. Not only did he take his time getting to warm up to kitty first he also refused to charge us he said "You saved his life, without you he would have died and I will not charge you for that" Eventually we forced him to take a 100,000dong donation which is about $6 but covered all his treatment and a lot more. I just find it pretty disgusting that the same thing in Aus would cost me $200+ but thats the way of the world I suppose.

Kitty got:

- A multi-vitamin shot (He pretty much chewed my finger off during it)

- Eye drops to treat the eye infection

- Worming tablets 

- Ear cleaning

- Some kitten food ( I had some already but he gave me a full bag)

He's a bit out of it at the moment, recovering from a long day and having a nice nap. 

The vet showed me some of the worms collected from other cats including tape worms about 10cm long inside a kitten. He explained how fast they grow here and has offered me a job at his new facility which will be opening permanently in Hue so I can continue my training in veterinary nursing. I'm very excited :)

Once again,

THANK YOU. If it weren't for you guys i couldn't have come up with those life-saving alternatives and we may have been in an awful position. I owe each and every one of you for your support and advice. I will post new pics tomorrow so you can see him :) 

To answer some of your questions, getting a cat into Australia is expensive because Australia does not have a rabies issue so they are very strict about letting outside animals in because of disease that could kill native fauna. It's $1200 just for a permit +10 days quarantine + Veterinary costs + travel to a different country as vietnam is not on their list of animals allowed to enter + Passport for Kitten. 

However, I don't feel comfortable in letting him live with someone who doesn't provide the same love we do, as bad as that sounds I do not want him going from us doting over him to living as a street cat again.

If we can't find a home then we will just have to stay longer and save money. I miss my other cats greatly but I know they are safe and happy with my mum (where they've always lived) and won't forget me ;) They will have a new little brother hopefully next year unless we find a fitting home.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a wonderful report with tons of upbeat information!

You found a truly caring, empathic vet who also sounds well-trained. He treated your cat for free, and offered you a job. It's great that you now have a competent vet you can go to. And all of that would cost a pretty penny in the U.S. as well. Thankfully, he took your donation, which will help him to treat other animals in the future.

That is quite a lot of expense and red tape to go through to take your little guy home to Australia, but I'm hoping that you will make it happen. Cats live long, so it will be worth the investment if you do.

Looking forward to the new pictures! Thank you for all you are doing for the little man! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Hello everyone,

The little man had his first check-up today. I took a poop-sample with me and it's being tested for worms. 

Firstly, i'd like to say what an excellent and caring man the vet (Hai) was. Not only did he take his time getting to warm up to kitty first he also refused to charge us he said "You saved his life, without you he would have died and I will not charge you for that" Eventually we forced him to take a 100,000dong donation which is about $6 but covered all his treatment and a lot more. I just find it pretty disgusting that the same thing in Aus would cost me $200+ but thats the way of the world I suppose.

Kitty got:

- A multi-vitamin shot (He pretty much chewed my finger off during it)

- Eye drops to treat the eye infection

- Worming tablets 

- Ear cleaning

- Some kitten food ( I had some already but he gave me a full bag)

He's a bit out of it at the moment, recovering from a long day and having a nice nap. 

The vet showed me some of the worms collected from other cats including tape worms about 10cm long inside a kitten. He explained how fast they grow here and has offered me a job at his new facility which will be opening permanently in Hue so I can continue my training in veterinary nursing. I'm very excited :)

Once again,

THANK YOU. If it weren't for you guys i couldn't have come up with those life-saving alternatives and we may have been in an awful position. I owe each and every one of you for your support and advice. I will post new pics tomorrow so you can see him :) 

To answer some of your questions, getting a cat into Australia is expensive because Australia does not have a rabies issue so they are very strict about letting outside animals in because of disease that could kill native fauna. It's $1200 just for a permit +10 days quarantine + Veterinary costs + travel to a different country as vietnam is not on their list of animals allowed to enter + Passport for Kitten. 

However, I don't feel comfortable in letting him live with someone who doesn't provide the same love we do, as bad as that sounds I do not want him going from us doting over him to living as a street cat again.

If we can't find a home then we will just have to stay longer and save money. I miss my other cats greatly but I know they are safe and happy with my mum (where they've always lived) and won't forget me ;) They will have a new little brother hopefully next year unless we find a fitting home.
Im getting the idea and vision, the vet thought, perhaps subconsciously -   you - a westerner and a foreigner, did saved the life of his compatriot, a little vietnamese, not thinking on efforts nor costs.

So he recognized your efforts and was grateful for it, and wanted you to spare at least some of the costs.

And also gave you the chance for the job for good measure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so pleased...with all of it!  And I'm thrilled that he offered you a job!  What a nice, nice man!  I am so hoping that you can find some way to keep this little guy.  He is so much a part of your life already.    You know, a GoFundMe campaign for permits would work, as well.  Be sure you post it in the SOS forum, and link to it if you decide to do this..I have lots of cat-loving friends on FB, and will be glad to post it there, if it will help get him back to Australia with you,  You can PM me and let me know if that becomes a viable option.

roguethecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
what a story... just putting my few cents worth in: you are definitely in an advantage in Vietnam if you chose to feed him raw meat (no grinding, just kitten-sized chunks of whatever you can find. The usual recommendation is, over time, 5% liver of any kind, 5% small bones like chicken wings or quail, 5% secreting organs like kidney, the rest any meat the cheaper the better.) There is a huge amount of information if you want to google.

As for curly tail, my Grisou has one. He looks like a potbellied pig. He doesn't mind.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone!

I just thought I'd share some updated photos of the little warrior. He's doing well. After the wormer he did a big roundworm poo (just one worm?) and a lot of other smaller white worms came out also in a separate poo. He still gets bloated but he poos a few times a day. One day I saw some bloody mucus in his poo and the vet suggested some antibiotics so he gets 2 a day for 3 days. He had runny poo last night all over my bed (he didn't mean to it just came out :( ) but that stopped today and he's doing soft dark poos now. His energy has increased a lot and he's acting more kitten-y now. I know he's not all clear yet and we have a ways to go but I think he's out of the life-threatening woods now and we will have to just keep deworming in a few weeks :) His eyes are looking much better and he's gained some weight. He seems bothered by his tummy sometimes and likes a belly rub but i'd say with all the meds (worming/Antibiotics) he's probably feeling a bit unwell in there for such a young kitty. 

All in all, positive news and a road to recovery. I will keep updating and let you know in a few days how he's going. 

after a bath(Looks a bit ratty :p)/walk around the house exercise time.

eyes are much clearer

play time 

belly has gotten smaller but still has a ways to go.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww! He looks a lot better. The size of his ears is crazy! I wonder if he'll grow into them or always have big ears. . .

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks so much better!! You are doing a great job!  Lucky kitty, when I think what his outcome would have been if you had no come along, I shudder.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my!  Those ears!  Well, my Gran always said cats with big ears are the mousers, so you shouldn't have any rodent problems...once he gets bigger than the mice!

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
He's adorable! He's such a little trooper. Most of the feral kittens I've taken in had tummy problems to start with. I think is a combination of parasites, poor diet and then the meds I gave them to try and help those problems. It will take a while, but with regular food his tummy should settle down.

There were probably a lot of round worm eggs in his system as well as the adult worm. Did the vet say anything about a second dose of wormer? My vet recommends another dose 4 weeks after the first just in case anything is left in their digestive tract.

meaganandalbert

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He has an appointment in one month for his second treatment :). The vet looked at the poo and found lots of stage 3 round worms. 

I will be doing some work there in between my other job which is so exciting. 

I just hope either we can find him a loving home or get the funds together to go to Canada next year where we can get him set up for entry into Australia as the aus government doesn't allow direct import from Vietnam.

It's going to be a costly venture :( but he's our baby.

We have also given him a name. He is now Sebastian :) 

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love the name Sebastion.  It is a proud name, and a strong one, and he has certainly earned it!