April 2021 book of the month club

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For April we’re returning to fiction, with a novel by international best-selling author, Ken Follett. Released in 1978, this book was the winner of the Edgar Award for Best Novel in 1979 and is currently # 4 on Goodread's Best Books of 1978 (117 books) list.

The book for April 2021 is

Eye of the Needle by Ken Follett

1614604554880.png

We will be reading it between April 1st and April 21st
Discussion will begin around April 22nd

Everyone is invited to read along with us. You can RSVP that you're going to read it, by posting in this thread.

The book can be purchased at Amazon:
Eye of the Needle
Reader reviews can be read at Goodreads: Eye of the Needle

I think that covers everything, however, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Additional reviews:
"Top-notch suspense . . . a terrific thriller . . . spellbinding." —The Miami Herald
"Great . . . one of the twelve best thrillers from the last fifty years." —Rocky Mountain News
"Extraordinarily satisfying . . . a truly suspenseful novel . . . heart-stopping, nerve-freezing terror." —Los Angeles Times
"A spy novel of the highest order." —The Baltimore Sun
"Really thrilling." —The New York Times Book Review
"An absolutely terrific thriller, so pulse-pounding, so ingenious in its plotting, and so frighteningly realistic that you simply cannot stop reading." —Publishers Weekly

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I've read Eye of the Needle several times and have watched the film several times as well.
Really good story. In the film, Donald Sutherland plays "Die Nadel", a crafty, cunning German spy.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess I didn't actually state that I'll be reading this, but I will be. :read:

Anyone else considering joining us in April ?

There's still plenty of time to join us in our March read too, btw. 🐶
March 2021 book of the month club
I'll be joining you, though I haven't ordered the book yet. It must be good, as the secondhand copies are not much cheaper than new ones. I don't want to pay a lot for one smelling of nicotine so I'll probably buy new and put it on my reader.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
I'll be joining you, though I haven't ordered the book yet. It must be good, as the secondhand copies are not much cheaper than new ones. I don't want to pay a lot for one smelling of nicotine so I'll probably buy new and put it on my reader.
It is soo good. I own it and I want to start reading it again, ha!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spy novels are not generally my thing, however, I shall be at least considering this one!
We know every book won't appeal to everyone, but at the same time, we don't want to stick to the same genres every month. And this one comes with glowing reviews from Mia6 Mia6 , so that's points in its favour. :)

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We know every book won't appeal to everyone, but at the same time, we don't want to stick to the same genres every month. And this one comes with glowing reviews from Mia6 Mia6 , so that's points in its favour. :)
I'm seriously considering it, I really am. It will come down to finances, probably, but it looks as though those may be a bit better than anticipated! And if it isn't a "keep and re-read," I'm sure our local convalescent center will be glad to add it to their library! A lot of my "non-keepers" go there, or to a local group that donates to hospitals and prisons.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've got the e-book on hold at my library, but I'm # 2 on 1 copy, with a 4 week wait. So I may have to speed read it, once I finally get it. Though maybe I'll be lucky and the person waiting ahead of me, will pass on it, or reads really quickly, and I'll get it sooner. :crossfingers:

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
I've requested it to come to the library near me so should have it in a few days, and should be able to get it readily at another library system if needed so I am sure I'm good to go. I haven't read a spy novel in a while so looking forward to this one.

Mia6

Top Cat
Purraise
Bit of a spoiler

So we're across the pond again, this time on a remote island in Scotland, amongst other places.
(Mush, V verna davies is bringing the McFidish and making her famous shortbread)

We'll be in a cottage, I get the top bunk!!