April 2021 book of the month club

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Any other thoughts / comments?

Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Did you ever finish the book?

pearl99

Pearl, my labrador who loved cats. RIP.
Top Cat
Purraise
So in your version, David would have lived?

My version still has him dying, but to save his wife and son. That way, at least, the hurt and neglect Lucy felt for 4 years would be offset somewhat knowing he saved her and Jo's life.
Maybe. But also felt that he seemed so damaged maybe he wouldn’t have made his way back. So your scenario has good things too.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Boris Diamond Boris Diamond Boris Diamond Boris Diamond : Did you ever finish the book?
I did not. I have read spy novels before. When the Bond movies were coming out, I read an Ian Fleming novel. They were not much like the movies. I could not finish it either because of the sexual torture. This book does not have that, but the killing is so casual. I quit when he was jabbing his stiletto into the eye of the military intelligence agent posing as a train conductor. There is too much pain, misery and unhappiness in real life to want to read fiction about it. I realize others may not be affected the same way I am.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting the book confused with the film, I hink. I didn't read the book as the print was tiny
and my EBook hold had 8 people ahead of me!! The Odessa File is another good one by FF.

In the book, did Lucy stick her hand in the light socket?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I did not. I have read spy novels before. When the Bond movies were coming out, I read an Ian Fleming novel. They were not much like the movies. I could not finish it either because of the sexual torture. This book does not have that, but the killing is so casual. I quit when he was jabbing his stiletto into the eye of the military intelligence agent posing as a train conductor. There is too much pain, misery and unhappiness in real life to want to read fiction about it. I realize others may not be affected the same way I am.
The casual killing bothered me too, but I was able to get past it and continue reading. It's unfortunate that we ended up having war violence in back-to-back books, but I don't think any of us expected last month's book about Lava to be as war themed, as it was. You're right, though, that there is too much sadness and pain in real life, that sometimes that's the last thing you want to read about in fiction. :sigh:

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I almost stopped exactly at that place in the book. There is enough pain and misery in life anyway without adding to it. I can't understand anyone who enjoys reading about such brutality. We have to accept the sad aspects of life together with all the good things but excessive violent and depraved brutality is for me far worse than slushy romanticism we read about in women's fiction.
I may be the last person to appreciate reading a story about a safe, perfect world with only happy endings, but violence and sordid murders are not my cup of tea either.

For some strange reason, a good detective story, even with a dead body but without the gory details, is fine. :dunno:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
We're reached the end of another month, so we'll be moving away from spies and onto secret gardens, as in May we're reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton.

Here's the link to the thread: May 2021 book of the month club

Thanks, as always, to everyone who read along with us, and joined in the discussion. Hope you'll join us again in May.

Last edited: