April 2020 book of the month club

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELL...that was odd. I ordered the paperback version, not realizing that it was the adaptation for young readers. SO...I've read it, AND ordered the hardback version, as well. I'll read that one, too, and be prepared to compare the two when we start discussing!

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The time has come for the discussion of our April book. Here are some questions to start off the discussion. Answer all or as many as you like.

Generic questions we post every month

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

2. Who was your favourite charactor?

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?

4. Did you learn anything you didnt know before?

5. Did you find the charactors believable?

6. Is there any part of the book you would change?

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

A few questions specific to this book.

8. Why do you think Dewey was special, his personality, circumstances or another reason?

9. What was your favourite part?

10. Vicki Myron believes that she had a deep connection with Dewey such as Dewey knowing what she was thinking. Do you believe people and animals can have such a connection?

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous?.

12. Do you think that Vicki Myron should not have included so much detail of her life?

13. Did you find all of Dewey's actions believable or do you think some were exaggerated for the purpose of the book?.

15. Did you cry at any time in reading the book?.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****? 4

2. Who was your favourite charactor? Dewey!

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down? Quick read.

5. Did you find the charactors believable? Yes

6. Is there any part of the book you would change? I knew we would lose Dewey. I would rather not have heard about Max, who passed in a most heartbreaking way.

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with? Can't think of anything in particular.

8. Why do you think Dewey was special, his personality, circumstances or another reason? I suspect that Dewey's circumstances helped to form his great personality. The library staff loved him and treated him so well that it must have made him a confident cat.

9. What was your favourite part? I liked reading about Dewey making friends with so many who needed a friend.

10. Vicki Myron believes that she had a deep connection with Dewey such as Dewey knowing what she was thinking. Do you believe people and animals can have such a connection? Sure.

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous? His story is wonderful and Dewey did so many special and loving things. And he was always willing to pose for pictures, which greatly helps any magazine or news story! :p

12. Do you think that Vicki Myron should not have included so much detail of her life? I could have done with less.

13. Did you find all of Dewey's actions believable or do you think some were exaggerated for the purpose of the book? Believable. I've known a great cat, myself!

15. Did you cry at any time in reading the book? I didn't blubber. But my eyes got wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I haven't quite finished reading it yet - a few chapters to go. So should finish today, and be back tomorrow to post my comments.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****

3 out of 5

Dewey

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down?

I didnt have to force myself to read it but neither did I find it a page turner.

I knew very little about Iowa before reading the book and found reading about its industry and culture interesting.

Yes

I could have done without tge dog veingput to sleep and the black kitten dying. I didnt see the point of those.

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with?

No

8. Why do you think Dewey was special, his personality, circumstances or another reason?

His personality, bringing the town people together, giving so much pleasure to everyone and making each adult and child feel special.

All the bits where he was naughty such as climbing on the light.

10. Vicki Myron believes that she had a deep connection with Dewey such as Dewey knowing what she was thinking. Do you believe people and animals can have such a connection?

Yes I do. I had a special connection with one of my cats years ago, not to the extent of Dewey and Vicki but I feel she understood me.

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous?.

Volume of people seeing him and talking about him plus his story was quite unique in the way he was found and becoming a library cat. His story had the feel good factor.

12. Do you think that Vicki Myron should not have included so much detail of her life?

Definately, the story was of Dewey's life, a lot of her life was irrelevant to the book and didnt add anything.

13. Did you find all of Dewey's actions believable or do you think some were exaggerated for the purpose of the book?.

I felt some were exaggerated to enhance the story, I cant imagine a cat letting a baby grab its ear for example no matter how docile the cats nature. Maybe I'm just a cynic.

I shed a tear or two even thought the ending was inevitable.

I found two parts a bit strange:-
The first one was when Dewey was neutered and came back with a shaved belly. The second was feeding him human food with garlic. Did anyone else find those or other things a bit odd?

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****? 2

2. Who was your favourite character? Dewey

3. Did you have to force yourself to get through the book or were you unable to put it down? At times I had to force myself to continue.

4. Did you learn anything you didn’t know before? Some things about Iowa

5. Did you find the characters believable? Not really

6. Is there any part of the book you would change? No, apart from writing a totally different book about this cat, assuming he was so special.

7. Were there any points of view you felt the author had that you disagreed with? I read this book a few years ago. It didn't strike me as particularly authentic.

The first one was when Dewey was neutered and came back with a shaved belly. The second was feeding him human food with garlic. Did anyone else find those or other things a bit odd?
Thank you verna davies for reminding me: this could not have been written by someone with a close relationship with, and knowledge of cats. If it was true, then an explanation was called for. Sorry, there were other things where I doubted the authenticity of the story and they spoilt my enjoyment of the book. All the statistical evidence, showing what a wonderful cat he was, couldn't make me feel he was special.

8. Why do you think Dewey was special, his personality, circumstances or another reason? Not sure he was "special"

9. What was your favourite part? The early chapters in the book and his reactions to some of the visitors to the library.

10. Vicki Myron believes that she had a deep connection with Dewey such as Dewey knowing what she was thinking. Do you believe people and animals can have such a connection? Maybe. But, in this case it was wishful thinking or her own imagination - if I remember correctly, Dewey even preferred to sleep with her daughter, yet she still believed that she was his Number One! There are times when a cat senses that something is going on but they cannot know what one is thinking.

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous? At the time, I think there were quite a few "Cat Books" being written, but these were non-fiction such as "Cathedral Cats" and "Church Cats". I may have one of these somewhere on my bookshelves. I really cannot understand how this story became such a hit - maybe the title and charming photo?

12. Do you think that Vicki Myron should not have included so much detail of her life? Her life was secondary to Dewey's story but unfortunately it took up much too much of the book.

13. Did you find all of Dewey's actions believable or do you think some were exaggerated for the purpose of the book? I'm sure a lot of them were exaggerated to make a better story.

15. Did you cry at any time in reading the book? No. The story was not convincing. Apart from the first chapters it was about a woman with problems, whose life happened to cross with that of Dewey.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
1. How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?
3, maybe 3 1/2

2. Who was your favourite character?
Dewey

A few times, yes. Though I did find some parts of it interesting, the history of Ohio, and Spencer got a bit lengthy at one point, and I wondered, really, what it all had to do with Dewey. Plus a little bit when the author shared her own personal info.

4. Did you learn anything you didn't know before?
The stuff about Ohio. Especially the corn stalks being so tall in May. After such a bitter winter, the area must have an early spring.

5. Did you find the characters believable?
Yes.

I felt some were exaggerated to enhance the story, I cant imagine a cat letting a baby grab its ear for example no matter how docile the cats nature. Maybe I'm just a cynic.
I can actually believe that, as I knew people who had a bitey cat. When they had a baby, the cat never once bit or scratched the child. We always joked that the child was given immunity from biting and wondered how long it would last. LOL.

Lessen the parts about Ohio, and maybe a bit less about the author's own life.

Don't think so.

I think all above reasons. His beginning as a survivor, his personality, and likely timing and circumstances.

All Dewey's cute antics. Him climbing up on the lights. Him trying to tell them about the bat. Him being so patient with the kids. Pretty much everything about Dewey was purrfect.

Absolutely.

But, in this case it was wishful thinking or her own imagination - if I remember correctly, Dewey even preferred to sleep with her daughter, yet she still believed that she was his Number One!
Good point. Maybe Dewey considered Vicki his mom. The one to go to when he wasn't well. But her daughter was his "sibling", or best friend.

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous?
Not sure. Timing maybe?

I think, yes. Though in order to write about the cat, she had to write about the people in his life, and she was the person who was responsible for him, so probably needed to mention some aspects of her life. But probably not in as much detail as she did. Particularly about her brother who took his own life, especially when her father even asked her not to write about it. She should have listened to him, in my opinion.

There was likely some exaggeration, but some of the stories we read here at TCS shows us cats are amazing animals and can do amazing things that non cat lovers wouldn't believe possible. So who knows.

15. Did you cry at any time in reading the book?
Oh yeah. At the end, with saying good-bye to Dewey, of course. But also when her Mom died, as it brought back memories of losing my own Mom. And a couple other spots too, I think.

When I was sobbing through Dewey's final paragraphs, my Ruby was on my lap, and she kept looking up at me, as if to ask "are you ok mama?". I told her I was fine, then continued sobbing away.

Yes! Both parts.

The shaved belly, was very odd. I mean, why?

And the part where they fed him chicken with garlic was disturbing, and I think I practically screamed out loud "cats can't eat garlic!!!"

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WELL...that was odd. I ordered the paperback version, not realizing that it was the adaptation for young readers. SO...I've read it, AND ordered the hardback version, as well. I'll read that one, too, and be prepared to compare the two when we start discussing!
Curious to hear what you thought of both books, Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 , and what the differences were.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

How would you rate the book on a scale of 1 to 5 *****?

4.5, but I'm partial to true stories about cats.

Dewey, of course!

Neither. It was a nice, easy, steady read. I read it in one sitting (BOTH versions), but that isn't unusual for me.

A lot about Ohio that I never knew.

Yep.

A bit less about her life in general, I think. But this was her story, as well as Dewey's story. Had she been a different person, Dewey could easily have ended up at a shelter. So knowing why she was who she was made sense.

Not a point of view, but I, also, cringed about the garlic thing. THAT SAID, remember when this was. We had NO CLUE back then about the effects of garlic on cats. In fact, people routinely fed their animals garlic to combat fleas!

Everything about him was special. But his ability to connect with people was superb! He never met a stranger, and that, with cats, is rare!

There were so many, but...maybe when he was staggering around on his poor, frostbitten paws, soliciting love and affection from a roomful of strangers. That touched me so deeply.

Of course I do. I know that the Divine Miss H. reads my mind half the time, at least. For instance, all I have to do is think "flea drops and she's gone...and there she goes!

11. Why do you think the story of Dewey became so famous?

Dewey was everyman's cat. He belonged to a town, then a state, then a country, then the world. And he was the ultimate "rags to riches (in cat terms)" story, and who doesn't love one of those?

I could have done with about 70% of what she put in, for the reason I stated in #6!

13. Did you find all of Dewey's actions believable or do you think some were exaggerated for the purpose of the book?

She may or may not have exaggerated. Having lived with cats all of my life, there is nothing that Dewey did that made me think, "Oh, THAT could never happen!".

Frequently! But then, I'm a crier. I cried when they found him. I cried when he got lost. I cried about the little girl in the wheelchair loving him so. And I SURE cried when it was his time to leave.

I read both versions of this book, the original and the "for younger readers." The second kept very much to the spirit of the first, although some of the adult stuff was glossed over. There was very little about Vicki Myron's early life in the Young Readers version. And a good bit of Dewey's health issues and final day was glossed over. I found the Young Readers version to be delightful, and very faithful to the original. I would buy it for a pre-teen or tween without hesitation.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I've known some very calm, even wise, cats. I have one now, Leo, that was headed out the door. He had never been outside and I did not want to lose him if he panicked and bolted when he got outside. I gently grabbed him by the tail and pulled him back inside. I expected to get badly bit or clawed. He calmly looked at me like, "What's up?" Admittedly we are best buddies, but I have to believe that if he did not respond in anger to being pulled inside by his tail, that he would not respond in anger if a child would grab him by the ear. :dunno:

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've known some very calm, even wise, cats. I have one now, Leo, that was headed out the door. He had never been outside and I did not want to lose him if he panicked and bolted when he got outside. I gently grabbed him by the tail and pulled him back inside. I expected to get badly bit or clawed. He calmly looked at me like, "What's up?" Admittedly we are best buddies, but I have to believe that if he did not respond in anger to being pulled inside by his tail, that he would not respond in anger if a child would grab him by the ear. :dunno:
Maybe I'm just an old cynic but I imagined a strange child pulling Dewey's ear would bother him. I can however imagine a cat tolerating it if the baby and cat lived under the same roof and were familiar with each other.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Now, see, I've seen an old rough, tough un-neutered (back in the day when cats never were) tom cat sit quite calmly while a baby he didn't know chewed on his tail. It's a short jump from there to an ear (about 2 feet, generally). MOST cats won't allow it, but that one of the things that made Dewey remarkable. I can believe this.

OH, and you haven't lived until you've picked cat fur out of a baby's teeth with a pair of tweezers.