Approx 9 week old kitten with rectal prolapse, saw the vet today.

frodgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Long long story short: Here goes.....

I manage to capture 4 out of 5 littermates from a stray, about 3 weeks ago. During that time I've been socializing them, they've been doing well with the hopes to find them a home. This past saturday I noticed one of the kittens rectums protuding, after spending a lot of time examining them, I discovered they had round worms. I quickly purchased wormer and got started. Today I brought the kitten with the rectal prolapse to vet (keep in mind, I can't really afford the vet, at the moment) --- he told me that their are numerous ways to treat this, but some of them have risks. So he tod me how to manually handle a rectal prolapse, modifications to the kittens diet and adjustments to the worming treatment. He took the kitten in the back and manually placed the prolapse back, he told me, it was better but not all the way. He said to use preparation H and manually push the prolapse inside the kitten, but inflammation should subside wth diet change and treating the cause.

When I got home today, it looked as though it prolapsed out again, but now it's bloodier and the flesh looks traumatized. I'm also traumatized.

According the vet I've been doing the right thing, I started feeding the kitten pumpkin, plain yogurt and moist food, some KMR.

The stools are no longer diarhea, they are more tubular and no real pushing.

Has anyone had much luck with inflamed prolapse healing without surgery? I have read many cases on the internet where with good care they can heal without much effort, on the other hand I've read they all need surgery or at least a stitch and that doesn't always work and there are complications!

To say I'm freaking out is an understatement. I'm afraid to kill the tissue around the kittens bum and may make it worse which is how it looks to me after the vet visit. Plus, it's beyond difficult to look at and the poor kitten is so scared!

I've been going t this vet for many years, and I trust him, I'm just as scared as my poor kitty.

Anyone have experience with this?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Prolapse happens when there is persistent diarrhea/cramping, the pushing and inflammed tissue has noplace else to go but out.

Treating the diarrhea is number one in getting this to fix itself, and it usually does.

If dewormed and no parasites it is very likely a dietary caused diarrhea.

If you are able to feed grain free canned food, and add some pure pumpkin daily, it will greatly improve.

Don't switch kinds/brands, and to start off did the vet explain how to settle his intestines down right away with bland foods such as nothing but chicken or turkey baby food for a few days?

It is so easily digested that it allows his internals to calm down rather than continue irritating them.

Then you will slooowly reintroduce grain free canned like wellness, etc.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

frodgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Catwoman707 that helped calm me down a bit.

The stool is very creamy now, she's still being treated for roundworms, as the vet told me to do. I purchased no grain cat food, he told me to soak the kibble or any wet cat food without rice. In other words, lots of water! I was told I can keep feeding her plain yogurt and pumpkin. Her butt looks so swollen and sore since he tried to manually push it back in (not sure if there's a proper word to describe that without being gross). Her bottom was a little bloody, I gently cleaned it of an put some preparation H there, but  simply can not try and force the tissue back in.

He never mentioned baby food, but he said very bland food, so I will go out and buy baby food.

I know this sounds crazy, but I'm actually fearful he made it worse.

If it can fix itself, I might be able to calm down and take better care of her.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain yogurt and pumpkin, so he is on the same lines as me, but good luck feeding only yogurt for 3 days!

The baby food is the same idea, and will be so much more appreciated :)

I have helped many kitties with doing this.

I imagine it is not protruding more than an inch correct? You can also post a pick, I can at least say if the kitties I have seen fix themselves were similar.

The worst cat I have ever had, Buzzy, as horrible as his was, fixed itself without surgery too.

Not sure you want to see a pic of his butt in his before pic............

Last edited:

frodgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't even begin to express my gratitude Catwoman707 for the advice!

It's about a half inch to 5/8"  ---- This is a picture, I don't know if it's any good, I didn't want to upset her further by constantly picking up her tail, but length of the protrusion is about right.

In a few mins I a going out to buy the baby some baby food.

I would actually like to see Buzzy's bum, if you could share the picture, it might give me a better perspective...

sarah ann

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If he were mine I would take him to the Er vet immediately. That rectal tissue needs to be pushed back into place. I would want him monitored overnight.

If the tissue becomes damaged he may need surgery to remove the tissue if it becomes necrotic.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's about what I pictured.

Buzzy was in horrific condition when I found him.

The before pic is horrible, but you asked for it...

The after picture will make you smile :) Vet told me to put him down, there was no way I could do that, that vet now has a large picture of Buzzy's after photo on his waiting room wall :)

And after

Last edited:

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Buzzy had burns on his tail and his hind legs at the joints from the diarrhea just dripping out of him for a long time too. I bathed him daily, and would coat the burns with cream and wrap his tail and legs in strips of flannel just to give them a break to start healing.

Granted, Buzzy was in much worse condition, so it took me about 10 months total to get him to his after pic. He was so unhappy, feisty and crabby, yet helpless, and when he was all better he was a fat boy, chubby playful, rolling on his back and being silly kind of boy. It was well worth all that time, and the endless poop duty with him.

His cage was lined wall to wall and sides with puppy pads since he would get that runny poop everywhere. It was just the worst.

Does this give you more hope?? :)

He doesn't even look like that's the same cat does it?! Even his fur once it came in new and healthy looked different. But look at his eyes, that's my Buzzy boy!

He was adopted out to the nicest most loving cat person possible and is spoiled rotten and loving life.

I consider him my tie for first place rescues in all my years, my most dramatic rescues. The first pic was the day I took him off the streets.

The main things to get him on the road to recovery is to first get his bowels/intestines to settle down, then we will work on the food introductions again slowly, meanwhile be sure he stays hydrated of course, and his butt clean and dry.

You never want to wipe it, but rinsing is fine, as well as a soaking wet washcloth and simply gently pat while squeezing the warm water so it soothes his raw looking skin.

Prep H and/or Tucks will help too to soothe. Tucks might be tricky! lol

Here's another face shot of him when I got him, you can see what this long term diarrhea was doing to him, killing him slowly, torturously, see his inner lids out? He was sick with a uri as well..:/

You can clearly see how starved of nutrients he was by his fur too.

He must have had this going on for a looong time to be this bad. He was obviously dumped.......

Last edited:

frodgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What an amazing transformation! I have to give you all the credit in the world, both for your love and for your bravery. What's amazing is how it looks like a completely different cat, the fur alone is an indicator of kittys poor health. I feel often feel sad when I see a cat outside whose fur looks poor. Since ferals around my neck of the woods sometimes seem transient, I don't know what to do.

I just wanted to give an update on my little girl: The day after posting here, I surrendered her and her 3 litter mates to reputable rescue. The rescue told me that she had dealt with this kind of thing and had a homeopathic remedy for it, if not, since all the kittens were seeing her vet anyway, if the vet suggested a stitch or two, then they would handle it that way. Needless to say, my mind has not left the kittens this whole week The rescue contacted me last night to tell me all the kittens were doing fine and that the little "pumpkin" had healed nicely and was already in a new home! I received a picture and all is well!

I wanted to let you know because you were such a huge help to me and shared your amazing story about a case that seemed so much worse with such an outstanding outcome. You'd be amazed how much you can help someone by just being optimistic and providing a positive outcome without all the fear mongering. I'm VERY grateful!

Much blessing for you and all your kitties, Catwoman707!

Oh, and btw: I hope your vet no longer jump to the euthanasia options and remembers Buzzy!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It warms my heart to hear you say how much I was able to help you, thank you so much for that. 

Most people don't reeeally understand what the heart of a rescuer goes through. Blood sweat, tears and heartache. Lose lots of sleep with worry, my family so often takes a back seat, the patience and relentless fighting for that one life, to feel my heart bursting with successfully saving the kitty, no matter how bad, despite the odds and vet advice, and the mix of joy and a bit of sadness I feel when a cat I went through hell for, is well again and gets adopted into a wonderful home, they have no idea the bond their new cat companion and I share or what we went through, but we do, or the aching heart and mind, the dark cloud and endless tears of defeat that just lingers on until I reach a point where I must put it away in a corner of my heart in order for me to carry on and save others who need me.

Despite helping those like you over the net, you may as well be my next door neighbor, as I feel just as much drive to help give the best advice as I can.

So it gives me a great feeling when I know I was helpful. Thanks again.  

GREAT news that the kitties are doing so well, and the little booty girl's butt is healing well. Perfect!!

As for that particular vet, I can at least say he NEVER suggests I put a cat down anymore, haha! 

However other vets I deal with still do, and that's okay. I know occasionally it must be done for the sake of the cat, but only when the outcome is literally impossible to be a good one. I will continue to ALWAYS do whatever I can and try my best to save anyone who might be saved, and have, many, many times.

My computer is loaded with pics of cats and kittens I was able to save. Sometimes I have to help heal my heart by spending some time going through all of them and reminding myself how many lives I have changed and saved. Times when I am broken down from defeat and can't seem to shake it off, it always helps.

So glad you had a good outcome!

Last edited:

hzlrane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was trying to find the lady that was able to help buzzy. I'm having a situation somewhat similar.

frodgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dear catwoman707,

Someone at the bottom of this thread is seeking your help with a similar situation. I can think of no one better than you to give great advice!

~Frodgie

dawn r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I rescued a 4 week old kitten from the middle of no where camping that had been dumped. I noticed him straining, the next day his rectum had completely prolapsed and was sticking out 1". Went to several vets, finally found a local vet that works with farm animals and reptiles, he repaired it, pushed it back in and did whats called a purse stitch. Swelling has gone down, but been 3 days, but now he's having fecal leakage, light brown. He has been passing worms, as we dewormed him. Most likely the culprit. He was put on a prescription diet, and doing better, to keep his stools soft. His rectum appears to be in tact, but like I said, the fecal leakage is the issue now. I'll let you know what the vet says. But a prolapse left outside of the body can become necrotic, if it is still pink, research and find a vet that is familiar with this, as the tissue some times requires an anal stitch to remain inside the body. 

dawn r

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only paid $55 to have the stitch done, they sew the anus to have a smaller opening temporarily while the body gets readjusted to having the swollen tissue placed back inside. But time is of the essence.

joan dickerson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My large black kitten has always had soft stools and then I noticed the protruding rectum (he came up and showed it to me) .  Not knowing what to do I did the most obvious I smoothed petroleum jelly on it with a tissue, pop it went back in.  I think it may be a kitten thing but I still see it sometimes and wipe over it again.  The cat seems to be relieved.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My large black kitten has always had soft stools and then I noticed the protruding rectum (he came up and showed it to me) .  Not knowing what to do I did the most obvious I smoothed petroleum jelly on it with a tissue, pop it went back in.  I think it may be a kitten thing but I still see it sometimes and wipe over it again.  The cat seems to be relieved.
How old is your kitten? He may need to be dewormed and tested for parasites. Soft stool and a protruding rectum are not normal. You should consult a vet.

jmarkitell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
  I am so happy and proud of the job you did for Buzzy!! Many people consider "Good Cat Health Care" as having a cat who has a good appetite and little more. Until you take care of a kitty that needs your help so bad that he would probably expire quickly without your intervention, then you can't comprehend the stress and feelings of helplessness that comes along with taking care of your best furry friend. Taking care of a kitten is often more difficult than caring for a child because cats can't communicate their problems like a human can. I have nothing but praise for cat's humans who go above and beyond normal cat maintenance and put their cat's welfare in front of their own! Great job with Buzzy! I wish all people were as willing to help kittys, and all animals, to the degree that you have.

My tiny Salome has a perpetually irritated bum, but nowhere near a prolapse like Buzzy had. We call her "Puckerbutt" because she can often be found scooting around, trying to itch her bum. The vet said it is just something that she will have to live with and it isn't bothering her too much. Her tail, when excited, arches so far forward that it touches her on the top of the head!

Keep up the good, no...keep up the GREAT work!!

Jim 

Last edited:

pussnboots01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is a question for Catwoman707.  I have an 8 month old Persian who prolapsed about a month ago.  I've already spent over $800 to have two failed purse string sutures done.  I am able to put the prolapse back in when it happens and have been keeping her clean, have wormed her and have been keeping her on soft food but there is no rhyme or reason to her prolapse.  She went a max of 5 days without it coming out, but she has days when it prolapses twice in one day.  With the boy that you rescued, how long did it take before her was able to keep it in with any consistency?  I am retired and am short of funds to keep taking her to a vet that can't fix the problem.  He's now talking about amputating it (the tissue is healthy and pink) at a cost of $3K, which is impossible for me to do and he says the only alternative is to euthanize her.  She is healthy and happy and has no other issues.  Is there any hope for her to resolve this?  Thanks for any help you can give.

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

This is a question for Catwoman707.  I have an 8 month old Persian who prolapsed about a month ago.  I've already spent over $800 to have two failed purse string sutures done.  I am able to put the prolapse back in when it happens and have been keeping her clean, have wormed her and have been keeping her on soft food but there is no rhyme or reason to her prolapse.  She went a max of 5 days without it coming out, but she has days when it prolapses twice in one day.  With the boy that you rescued, how long did it take before her was able to keep it in with any consistency?  I am retired and am short of funds to keep taking her to a vet that can't fix the problem.  He's now talking about amputating it (the tissue is healthy and pink) at a cost of $3K, which is impossible for me to do and he says the only alternative is to euthanize her.  She is healthy and happy and has no other issues.  Is there any hope for her to resolve this?  Thanks for any help you can give.
Welcome to the cat site!

While reading your post I thought first thing is, find a new vet!

You don't need a vet to tell you what he has, not to mention how overpriced he is.

If this just started a month ago, there is a reason.

Most commonly would be diarrhea causing the tissue to become inflammed, she would feel like pushing often, even most of the time, because that inflammed tissue feels like she needs to poop.

Or constipation, not as common since yes, they can strain just so much that they actually push it out, but constipation won't cause the tissue to swell, which is why ongoing diarrhea is most common.

So how was/is her poop?

Did she have a fecal float done?

Was she given any meds if nothing showed up anyway as a precaution since many times the float will appear clear but is only due to inconsistent cyst shedding?

Why did the stitch put in fail?

How far out is it when it pops out?

Buzzy's went in and out as he healed, but once all inflammed tissue shrunk to normal it stayed in.

Last edited: