Appropriate Donation Amount

DreamsNM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I've been searching the internet but have come up empty. Can anyone please suggest an appropriate donation amount to a nonprofit cat organization that sterilizes a female feral cat? I'm currently out of work and on hard times, but still would like to make a donation that isn't insulting to such an organization.

Thank you for your input.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It is very proactive of you to continue trying to help ferals and for getting this cat fixed. I assume that the organization is willing to do this free, so please don't feel obligated to make a donation if you really cannot afford it or would have to go without something you need.

Remember that wherever you decide to donate your money, the group will appreciate your generosity no matter the size of your gift. If you want to do more, but cannot give more money, remember that there are many other ways to give back, such as volunteering or even by adopting a shelter/rescue dog. thesprucepets.com

I do believe this is true; however, I am not suggesting that you foster animals when you are out of work and need money for yourself. There might be something else you can do to help an organization if you have other skills like technology which can be donated in time and not money.

If you really do want a suggestion of a dollar amount, I would say $10 or $20. I know that some organizations around here give vouchers for $25 for low cost spaying or neutering, so don't feel as if you have to go beyond your means or even donate at all. Even a really heartfelt thanks will mean a lot to the people who work in these places.

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How sweet of you to want to help this kitty (and getting a female feral/stray cat fixed is one of the kindest things you can do for her!). Not sure I can say it any better than fionasmom fionasmom just did.

You're far from alone - particularly now - in not having much money to go around. No donation is too small or insulting, but having worked at a shelter, I can tell you that a thank you DOES go a very long way, as the clinic/shelter workers generally don't hear that very often and just hearing that means so much. If you feel that's not enough and you really want to do/give something - offer to help in another way. Clinics often need people to help at a fundraiser, put together a simple outdoor cat shelter for sale, etc. If you call and ask, I'm sure they'll likely have several suggestions of a way to help that doesn't involve money.

And as a past shelter worker - you made me day just hearing how much you want to show your appreciation!

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know my vet charges $99, and the TNR place says it costs them $60-70 per cat although they run on donations. We had one fixed and could only do $20 at the time. It all works out because there are people who go in and hand over checks for $$$ just because.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any amount is welcomed! One person may not cover a full procedure but together the dollars add up. The program here raises money many different ways. Besides donations they have a thrift shop. So, maybe there is something like that there and you can do a double duty sort of thing. Buy something you can use at home , knowing the purchase will go towards a spay or neuter. Supplies are often needed too. Call and ask what would be helpful. Old towels and linens are something the shelter always needs. Every cat that gets spayed or neutered gets a fresh towel or blanket to lay on. I take freshly laundered stuff and it always goes quickly. Most places have a list of supplies they use regularly. Any way you can offer help or thanks will go a very long way. Thank you for thinking of ways to help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DreamsNM

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I want to say thank you to all who responded. It was greatly appreciated and helpful.

I had thought about offering my webpage design skills, since their website has a few issues. However, I was fearful of offending their webpage creator or the one who maintains it. Although now I think, once everything is done and I have the sterile cat back in my possession, I will offer those services. That way, at that time, if I do offend anyone, we will be parting ways. Their website is nice, but could definitely use a few improvements.

I was thinking anything less than $100 donation would be offensive. Does $100 seem an appropriate donation amount? It matches closely to the amount Bri5 mentions above.

In any case, what I've settled on is gifting $25 at this time and in the future when I'm back on my feet, gift an additional $75 to meet my $100 wish. The work they do is invaluable (and yes, I should have mentioned it in my original post, but they are offering this service free of charge to me).

Once again, thank you all for your input.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have some excellent ideas and I think that all of them are appropriate. Around here, many rescues and TNR services do request people with any skills which might enhance webpages or help get information out about services or facilitate contacts. Even if they do not accept your offer of webpage assistance, they will be greatly appreciative that you offered.

My vet charges $142 for spaying and about $100 to neuter, but that is standard vet charge. If you can eventually do the $100, they will also be completely happy as you are basically reimbursing them. Starting with a lower amount is absolutely fine.

They are going to remember that you wanted to show your appreciation of the help that they gave you and even that is going to mean a lot to them.

Whenallhellbreakslose

Living in Kitty Paradise.
Top Cat
Purraise
It is up to you and what you can afford to give. Times are tough, hopefully we truly are moving forward and getting back to normal. No organization should frown upon a donation being to low. Every little bit helps.

If you absolutely want to give more, but it is going to be tough. Maybe you can get your family and friends involved and each chip in a certain amount until you get together the amount you wish to donate. Another thing you can do is donate items that they may need at the tnr clinic or maybe you can volunteer there. Your time can be just as good as a donation as your money.🙂