Applying Tail Medication for Stud Tail

haynes171044

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My neutered senior cat has stud tail because he can't reach that area to clean. His tail looks completely normal, so I didn't notice it until I parted his fur one day. The vet gave me medication to use to see if we can resolve it without resorting to washing the area or having hair loss.... but how does one effectively apply oitment to 85% of a cat's tail with medium length fur?!?

Any tips or tricks? At least I don't have to worry about him licking the area because he can't reach it hahaha

Thanks in advance!

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have Maine Coons & one of my boys gets stud tail. Not sure if this will help you but I’ll try & explain how I do it.
First I apply the ointment to a piece of cotton wool.
Then I part a patch of the fur on his tail nearest the base & give it a good scrub. I work my way down his tail in patches. Parting the fur & scrubbing that patch & moving onto the next patch.
I would add that I do have someone else hold him while I do this :blush:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haynes171044

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hahahahahhaha I love this video. The purrito is very essential. Thank you for sharing! I might need to do this for the next 13 days even with someone else because he was not happy about it today.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

haynes171044

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That makes sense! I'll try it. I just don't want to apply half of the oitment to his fur instead of his skin, but your method sounds like a good way to get it to the skin. Is there anything specific you do to try and prevent your cat from getting it in the first place? Just brushing and light washing every once in awhile to prevent a buildup of oil? :)