Apples (and other things)

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
So....we are back from Biglerville, PA (down around Gettysburg). Came back with 80 pounds of apples. They had 23 varieties in their bins and we took (at least) 4 from each bin, plus I filled a bag with Mutsus and Grannies. I also found an interesting cookbook on nothing but pies. When I make my pies, I will use one apple of each of 7-8 varieties to get a good mix of apples. It works out well.

We stopped at Perennial Gardens in New Bloomfield on the way home. He specializes in plants that are native to PA. I finally bought a red twig dogwood for over by the she shed. Rick has been wanting a hemlock tree, so that found its way into the car. We're going back down in the spring....and taking the truck. Some very interesting plants, flowers, bushes, and trees!

And I will spend tomorrow making pies and apple dumplings! I want to make an apple-blueberry pie, probably some regular two-crust apple pies, and a couple pies with streusel topping. And I'm thinking about 20 apple dumplings, some of which will go to my sister and BIL.