Apple Cider Vinegar (with mother, organic) supplement

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I occasionally give Apple cider vinegar diluted with water to my cat. It helps with digestion IMO.
How do you feel about this supplement?

msserena

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doesn't acv lower stomach acid ph? That's why people with acid reflux shouldn't take it because they need the acid to stop the reflux. Cats are naturally acidic, I wouldn't give to them because it will change their little stomach.

I will see what the Dr says, I would like to know myself!

Last edited:

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I see no benefit to vinegar of any kind in cats.  I am surprised she would take it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I came across this site http://www.earthclinic.com/apple-cider-vinegar-for-mange-cats.html
And thought I would see if my cat would taste it out of curiosity. She loved it! I mixed 1/4 tsp. With 1/4 cup distilled water and put in spray bottle. I spray in my hand and she would lick it off happily. I did this once a day and noticed that it increased urination and bowel movements. I have stopped just to see if things would return to normal and they have so far.
I so appreciate your answer.

dr rachel

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
I followed the link and read it.  Raw apple cider vinegar  has been used as a topical treatment for mage ( a type of skin mites) in dogs.  It is supposed to be topically applied, some have advocated to put it in water as well.  But again, as an aid for digestion...I do not have any experience with that.