Apple Butter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
My post from Friday is missing, so I'm reposting.

This is the apple butter I made on Wednesday into Thursday. Six pounds of apples, chopped, with a scant 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar. Cooked on High for a couple hours, then on Low overnight. I switched it back to High Thursday morning for several hours. Ran it through the blender. Added brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and continued cooking. I think the total cooking time was around 20 hours and for three or so of those hours, it cooked uncovered to thicken up a bit.

We had some on toast yesterday and it really is quite good. Might be a bit spicy for some, but we like it. Looking forward to trying it on pork and maybe chicken. I'm going to turn one small container into apple butter bbq sauce when I get it back out of the freezer.

AppleButter.jpg

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my Grandmother's was obsessed with apple butter. She would always have some sitting on her table at mealtimes.

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That looks tasty! Actually just tried Apple Butter for the first time the other day (Bought it at a local apple orchard) it is quite lovely.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
What kind of apples did you use? I just got through making my own applesauce because the stuff I can buy at the grocery store has absolutely no flavor.