Applaws Food

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone have opinions on this food? Minimal ingredients, but no added taurine, omegas, anything. I’m wondering how it can be nutritionally complete.

cheesycats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Applaws isn’t nutritionally complete. Only the kibble is which has added vitamins. The cans and pouches specifically say for supplemental use only.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
We use Applaws pouches only as a treat. The cats seem to love it. As cheesycats cheesycats says it’s a supplemental food and is not complete or balanced.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whilst the Applaws pouches and tins are supplementary foods only, their trays of paté are complete. My guys aren't totally sold on the paté (though they love the pouches or tins as a treat), but they're pretty decent foods :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I’ll try to get the trays. I have 5 cats now and Instinct is so expensive. I’m looking for an alternative without all the crap. I’ll check it out.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Whilst the Applaws pouches and tins are supplementary foods only, their trays of paté are complete. My guys aren't totally sold on the paté (though they love the pouches or tins as a treat), but they're pretty decent foods
Thanks guys! I’ll try to get the trays.

The trays (Cat Pate line) aren't sold in the US. None of the canned / pouch / wet cat foods sold in the US are complete diets. They are only treat-type foods. Cat Categories - Applaws US

For something similar but is a complete diet, try Weruva or Soulistic or Tiki Cat.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
I tried Lotus Just Juicy Chicken Stew for Cats. It looked like human grade chicken soup and Olive hoovered it up. It reminded me of the Shredded Applaws Chicken. It’s kind of expensive though.

Also their 5.5 oz cans are mislabeled and list the calories per can for a 3 oz can. It should be 151 kcal/can. I thought it was 76 and I wondered why Olive was burping so much and didn’t finish it all .

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat loves the little complementary tubs as a treat and they seem really good for her.
The paté is complete but I haven't yet tried that, so if you do, let me know how it goes! The only reason I haven't is because the ones I can get for the paté include fish, so it's a multipack variety and I'm trying to avoid feeding Kali fish foods..

If you try the tubs and your cat likes them, Thrive tins are similar textures and my girl adored them too, plus they're complete and about £1 each so not breaking the bank!x

Summercats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have bought the multi packs of Applaws pâtés. I use them as part of my rotation.
Like many new foods, at first my cat didn’t take to them but now he is fine with them.
He especially likes the lamb.
The pâté is not a very smooth pâté if you have access to Almo Nature their pâtés are also a complete food and very smooth textured.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not seen any of the Almo Nature pates in the US? Everything i have seen is shredded. My guys really like the chicken with green beans, chicken with carrots, and chicken with apple in the pouch. these are all complete meals as well.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have not seen any of the Almo Nature pates in the US? Everything i have seen is shredded.
Yes, the pate Almo Nature is not sold in the US. These are the Almo Nature products sold in the US: Products - Almo Nature Only the HQS Complete line is a complete balanced diet. Everything else is a treat-only food.

patti511 patti511 I (and others) am assuming you are in the US. If you are not, what country are you in?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m in the U. S.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good to know :agree: Do you need suggestions on complete canned foods to feed your cat?

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m real picky about my canned food. I feed Instinct rabbit, lamb and chicken. No carrageenan or guar gum (or menadione). I am always looking for something healthy and more affordable. It’s so difficult. :-/

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I’m real picky about my canned food. I feed Instinct rabbit, lamb and chicken. No carrageenan or guar gum (or menadione). I am always looking for something healthy and more affordable. It’s so difficult. :-/
I am also feeding instinct pate with supplemental treats like Applaws or gravy foods like BFF or tiki cat. I mix the liquidy food in occasionally to give them flavor rotation, because instinct doesn't have a multi pack and I buy it in bulk if I find it on sale. Their favorite instinct is, of course, the rabbit - which is most expensive! But I find that using a bit of applaws on the chicken instinct pate keeps them interested. I'm also interested if anyone has suggestions that are more affordable than instinct, but so far, I've found that instinct seems to be the more affordable option for the other high quality brands like alamo, wellness and weruva.

Claire07x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if this is available in the US but it's on UK amazon and my cat goes wild for it, but the Meowing Heads tins are really reasonable (less than £1 each) and a high meat content. I also find the thrive tins really good too, again less than £1 each.
Country Hunters is good but smells so strong and my cat, who isn't very fussy, does need to be "encouraged" to eat it - I've had to stop putting it out for her breakfast in the morning as I'll often come home from work and she wont have eaten it.. she seems to like to have that one fed with a couple treats mixed in (once she's eaten the treats in it though, she's has some of the wet food and remembers she likes it, then finishes the bowl.. weird cat!).
Lilly's kitchen seems to be the least favourite and I do need to really coax her into eating it though it's a hit or miss in my house. One day she loves it and wolfs it down, the next isn't interested (and so the treat-in-food method is applied!!).

They're all fairly priced for the UK people ehre and I get them all from Amazon (since I have prime). Every tin/sachet has been dated mid-late 2019 too so it's ideal for bulk buying and rotating (i try to feed a different brand each meal. One for breakfast and another for dinner).

Hope this helps UK people but if anyone has any more suggestions (ideally on things I can get from amazon) that'd be much appreciated too :)

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am also feeding instinct pate with supplemental treats like Applaws or gravy foods like BFF or tiki cat. I mix the liquidy food in occasionally to give them flavor rotation, because instinct doesn't have a multi pack and I buy it in bulk if I find it on sale. Their favorite instinct is, of course, the rabbit - which is most expensive! But I find that using a bit of applaws on the chicken instinct pate keeps them interested. I'm also interested if anyone has suggestions that are more affordable than instinct, but so far, I've found that instinct seems to be the more affordable option for the other high quality brands like alamo, wellness and weruva.
I am going to try adding the Applaws chicken to their rotation. It’s not much cheaper than Instinct, but it’s a good idea adding it to the Instinct chicken. They do walk away from the chicken one without finishing it. I have 5 cats, so my food bill is astronomical. They love the rabbit best, as well. It’s been in short supply lately on both Chewy and Amazon. And I’ve noticed the new cans are less concentrated, and more watery. One 5.5 oz can used to go a long way...not anymore :-(. A local shop has been ordering it for me, but they are only able to get the 3 oz cans.
Thanks for the tip on Applaws.

KarenKat

Top Cat
Purraise
My cats all like Life’s Abundance. Based on what you are feeding, it seems cost effective enough. It does contain guar gum, but no carrageenan.

You can only get 3 oz cans from their website Life's Abundance

patti511

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have this stubborn streak about guar gum . So, I picked up a couple of cans of Applaws chicken in broth. Two of my cats ate it, but picked out the rice :-). They really miss their Tiki. I stopped feeding it when they started adding menadione. Why is everything so difficult?????