Appetite stimulant stopped working?

Laura4584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 14 year old cat has kidney disease. She was doing well until a week ago, when she started vomiting. I got a prescription for Mirtazapine (3.25 mg a day) on Thursday and she was very hungry on Friday and Saturday morning, but on Sunday and today, she'll only eat Churu from the tube and ignores other food. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: I'm sorry to hear that your 14 y.o. cat is having health problems regarding kidney disease. You mentioned giving her an appetite stimulant, i.e. Mirtazapine, but did not say if you gave it to her every day. Did you give it more than one time or only once on Thursday? Assuming you gave it to her more than once if she is not eating anything you need to contact your vet and let them know.

ETA - TCS has an Article that might be helpful for you: How To Get Your Cat To Start Eating Again – Cat Articles

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura4584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry. I gave it to her every day.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry. I gave it to her every day.
No problem, take a look at the TCS Article I added after you posted and also give your vet a call tomorrow. Best of luck, please keep us posted on her progress. :alright:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Laura4584

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. I'll try some of those out and call the vet tomorrow if things don't improve. Also, her stomach has been gurgling and she burps sometimes. She's still acting pretty normal. I give her pepcid every day for acid reflux.

sk0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I tried to give my kidney disease cat the exact same pill. My cat won't take it. After I tried every cat food with low phosphourous on market, I started cooking chicken for him. He ate the chicken (with phosporous binder sprinkled) plus a can of prescription k/d each day for a long time, without any appetite meds. Last month, he changed drastically and refused everything he used to eat/do. A vet prescribed Mirataz which is a gel that you apply inside cat's ear. It's pricey, about $50 for a tiny tube. I am mentioning just in case a gel works for you. I used it once only because I was able to find something that my cat was willing to eat without appetite enchencer.

My cat had lost half his weight after one year of eating k/d prescription food only (all canned foods.) He did better with high protein (but good qualify protein) canned foods from the stores (they are not cheap.) But did even better with home made foods. He was given a few months to live 3+ years ago at age 14. He left me last week... I think my might have lived longer if I had not relied on the k/d diet for a whole year. Losing half his weight in a year did't help. Best of luck with your cat.

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I tried to give my kidney disease cat the exact same pill. My cat won't take it. After I tried every cat food with low phosphourous on market, I started cooking chicken for him. He ate the chicken (with phosporous binder sprinkled) plus a can of prescription k/d each day for a long time, without any appetite meds. Last month, he changed drastically and refused everything he used to eat/do. A vet prescribed Mirataz which is a gel that you apply inside cat's ear. It's pricey, about $50 for a tiny tube. I am mentioning just in case a gel works for you. I used it once only because I was able to find something that my cat was willing to eat without appetite enchencer.

My cat had lost half his weight after one year of eating k/d prescription food only (all canned foods.) He did better with high protein (but good qualify protein) canned foods from the stores (they are not cheap.) But did even better with home made foods. He was given a few months to live 3+ years ago at age 14. He left me last week... I think my might have lived longer if I had not relied on the k/d diet for a whole year. Losing half his weight in a year did't help. Best of luck with your cat.
S sk0420 I’m sorry about your kitty!
I’m dealing with a similar issue with my cat where she is losing weight from eating prescription only k/d food.
Do you mind sharing what high-quality protein canned food you gave your cat?

sk0420

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
S sk0420 I’m sorry about your kitty!
I’m dealing with a similar issue with my cat where she is losing weight from eating prescription only k/d food.
Do you mind sharing what high-quality protein canned food you gave your cat?
Thank you. I stopped coming here because it breaks my heart to realize that I discovered this website way too late. My kitty would have had much better care if I had known about this website sooner. Anyway I just remember; Wysong epigen duck and Weruva truluxe steak frites. There is an excellent website called "Tanya's" something and it has nutrition info for almost all store-sold cat foods. Best of luck to you and your kitty.

bananamillie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I stopped coming here because it breaks my heart to realize that I discovered this website way too late. My kitty would have had much better care if I had known about this website sooner. Anyway I just remember; Wysong epigen duck and Weruva truluxe steak frites. There is an excellent website called "Tanya's" something and it has nutrition info for almost all store-sold cat foods. Best of luck to you and your kitty.
S sk0420 Thank you for sharing the food details.
I'm sorry about your kitty. I'm sure he was extremely lucky to have you as his person :redheartpump: