Apparently, I've been doing it all wrong...and I'm not alone.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a funny and silly thing unless you’re OCD about germs (not trying to insult people with ocd, my youngest son has it), but silverware should be washed with handles down. In other words, the part that touches the mouth should be up. The water and food particles then go down the utensils and rinses away from the part that touches your mouth. Who knew 🤷🏻‍♀️
We wash our utensils pointing up, save for any sort of knife. I always felt that they wouldn't get clean if pointed down! My stepmother always washes her facing down because "it's so much easier to grab the handles and put them directly away."

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
I used natural deodorant only for several years and then one with a baking soda based antiperspirant. I kept finding that after a while they didn't work. And then I started getting rashes. I switched back to the store stuff and that all stopped. Plus even with the best one I used I could smell myself after 10 hours or so. I don't like the way the antiperspirant builds up; but no stinking and no itching. :rolleyes2: I didn't notice a huge difference in the amount of sweat; but I have a couple friends who definitely sweat more that would find it an issue.
I am a very sweaty person. And I stink. Unlike my husband, who really only wears deodorant if he is doing something like yard work...I hope our future kids inherit his magical genes!

This is the only thing that works for me. I used drugstore antiperspirants for years but they would ruin my shirts with white stains (which is a problem when you only wear about seven shirts on a rotating basis... :paperbag: ). I started looking into alternates and found crystal stick deodorant (NOT an antiperspirant). It's a salt stick that you wet, rub onto your armpits, and it dries clear. No more stains, and it lasts FOREVER! I combine the salt stick with a natural deodorant that has arrowroot powder, which helps absorb sweat (baking soda makes me get a crazy rash). I still sweat some, but it isn't noticeable unless you get VERY close to me.

This is the ONLY combination I have found that works for me. I have to reapply it every day and I start to get a little smelly around bed, but by then, it doesn't matter because I'm going to shower and put new deodorant on the next morning, anyway.

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
we are against any interference with the skin’s natural life :) the skin should breathe and secrete toxins that cannot be eliminated in any other way :) frequent water procedures are the best antiperspirant :) even if we sweated as much :)
That's why I've switched to as many natural skin products as I can. The salt deodorant, the natural deodorant, goat milk soap, goat milk lotion...it is pricier but I have noticed a difference in my overall skin health!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That's why I've switched to as many natural skin products as I can. The salt deodorant, the natural deodorant, goat milk soap, goat milk lotion...it is pricier but I have noticed a difference in my overall skin health!
this is correct, but blocking the pores of the skin even with natural products is unhealthy :( or at least for a maximum of twelve hours a day :(

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
this is correct, but blocking the pores of the skin even with natural products is unhealthy :( or at least for a maximum of twelve hours a day :(
I agree, but my skin is very dry and flaky without lotion. I also can't wear nothing deodorant-wise because I will become unbearable to be around. I do what I can and just hope it will work. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway......back to the topic at hand......

One other thing that I didn't know until well into adulthood was that the "storage drawer" at the bottom of your oven is not supposed to be used as storage...
Apparently, it gets quite warm in there when the oven is in use and it "should" be used as a place to keep your already cooked dishes warm, or to warm up plates and such before serving. I use it for storage of various baking dishes and pans. So if you also use it for storage, be sure you don't store anything in there that can melt or catch fire!!!

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree, but my skin is very dry and flaky without lotion. I also can't wear nothing deodorant-wise because I will become unbearable to be around. I do what I can and just hope it will work. :)
you can also try hypoallergenic products for showering, washing your hands and doing laundry, in many cases it’s a hidden allergy that causes skin problems :( experienced on myself :( for example, Amway and Dove :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Anyway......back to the topic at hand......

One other thing that I didn't know until well into adulthood was that the "storage drawer" at the bottom of your oven is not supposed to be used as storage...
Apparently, it gets quite warm in there when the oven is in use and it "should" be used as a place to keep your already cooked dishes warm, or to warm up plates and such before serving. I use it for storage of various baking dishes and pans. So if you also use it for storage, be sure you don't store anything in there that can melt or catch fire!!!

It depends on the brand of stove. My GE stove has a drawer but it's only for storage and says so in the instruction manual. It's still a good idea to not keep items in the drawer that could potentially melt or catch fire when the oven is in use. I only keep extra metal baking pans and racks in the drawer. In other brands of stoves, the drawer is a warming drawer to keep hot food fairly warm for serving and there is a temperature button / dial on the stove control panel that will say "Warming drawer" or something like that. In really old stoves, the drawer may actually be the broiler with a heat element. You definitely don't want to keep anything there just in case someone accidentally turns the broiler on.

Elemteacherjoy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too am a bad sweater. I use Secret Clinical strength, and rarely have issues. Since I like to shower at night, I just apply it right after showering and I'm good to go. It's a antiperspirant and deodorant combined. :thumbsup:

EmersonandEvie

Top Cat
Purraise
Not necessarily a "doing," but a saying...B thought that the phrase was "candy camera" (candid camera) until we started dating in college.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like reading "I was today years old" posts. A common one is that a lot of people don't know that plastic wrap and foil boxes have little things on the ends to punch in so the roll doesn't fall out when you pull on it.

And in the same vein as applying antiperspirant at night, you aren't supposed to rinse after brushing, so that the fluoride stays on your teeth longer. But ew. I'd rather use a fluoride mouthwash than not rinse after brushing.
And then I started getting rashes.
Me too! I tried a natural deodorant (Schmidt's), and I liked it a lot. The scent was nice, it really worked, etc. But it gave me a terrible rash :/.
we are against any interference with the skin’s natural life :) the skin should breathe and secrete toxins that cannot be eliminated in any other way :) frequent water procedures are the best antiperspirant :) even if we sweated as much :)
Unfortunately, in the US there's very little tolerance for natural body odor. Even a little will make people think you're gross and dirty. I know there's more tolerance in other countries so it can be hard to understand how it is in the US. I'd be glad to go without if I thought I could get away with it.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Me too! I tried a natural deodorant (Schmidt's), and I liked it a lot. The scent was nice, it really worked, etc. But it gave me a terrible rash :/.
That was the last one I used too. Even my DD didn’t do well with the natural ones. You’d think a young one barely old enough to need it would do well with something natural.

Koveshnikov

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I like reading "I was today years old" posts. A common one is that a lot of people don't know that plastic wrap and foil boxes have little things on the ends to punch in so the roll doesn't fall out when you pull on it.

And in the same vein as applying antiperspirant at night, you aren't supposed to rinse after brushing, so that the fluoride stays on your teeth longer. But ew. I'd rather use a fluoride mouthwash than not rinse after brushing.

Unfortunately, in the US there's very little tolerance for natural body odor. Even a little will make people think you're gross and dirty. I know there's more tolerance in other countries so it can be hard to understand how it is in the US. I'd be glad to go without if I thought I could get away with it.
we are also in the USA :) but we use deodorants in case of extreme heat, although cats are not happy with this :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
plastic wrap and foil boxes have little things on the ends to punch in so the roll doesn't fall out when you pull on it.

And in the same vein as applying antiperspirant at night, you aren't supposed to rinse after brushing,
I didn't know either of these.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, in the US there's very little tolerance for natural body odor. Even a little will make people think you're gross and dirty.
As someone who works in close contact with people (physical and massage therapy), I have become able to distinguish the difference between BO and poor hygiene smell. Thankfully, most of the clients I come across have decent hygiene overall. A mild BO smell, from someone who worked hard that day, or maybe forgot to put deodorant on, no longer bugs me, unless it's REALLY strong. But in the same sense, because I work in such close contact with people, I make sure I don't stink, I don't want them to think that I'm unclean while touching them.
I could start a whole new thread on things that stink on people, and what they smell like! You'd be surprised how many able bodied, "healthy" people aren't cleaning themselves properly and practicing good hygiene.:barfgreen:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
are also in the USA
Oh, sorry, I assumed with the username and the way you talk about taking your cats everywhere that you were in another country. Where do you live in the US that's so cat-friendly? I'm pretty sure that if I took a cat out in public, I'd end up being arrested or committed, lol.

What I really can't stand is stale cigarette smoke odor on people. You can definitely tell who smokes inside and who doesn't.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'd be surprised how many able bodied, "healthy" people aren't cleaning themselves properly and practicing good hygiene.:barfgreen:
Yeah, that one shower a week thing would not work for me. 👎