Apparently I am very hardhearted

KittenKrazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was reading a story in our local newspaper about a car accident. The gentleman driving the truck involved and the lady in the car involved were both killed, as stated early on. I read on without a lot of obvious concern until I got to a statement about 3/4 of the way down that read "a cat in the car with the (female driver) was also killed"......THAT upset me....but not the loss of two human lives...how sad is that?

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually I understand completely, as I am the same way. I feel that way if anything happens to a cat in a movie or book as well, and the only thing I can can think of as to WHY I feel this way is that animals are innocents, pure and simple.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nothing to feel bad about

I have more compassion for animals than I do for humans. I'm a nurse and I can look after adult humans no problem. But when Chynna was sick, I was absolutely beside myself. There is no way I could be in a career that involved looking after sick/injured animals because it would just break my heart.

ruthyb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just the same, I don't think you are heardhearted at all, humans in my opinion bring alot of it on themselves.x

dusty's mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Count me in the hard-hearted group too, though I have compassion for children - the smaller the more compassion I have. I think it has to do with those too young or too weak to take care of themselves.

I have 3 baby granddaughters (triplets) and they are the only humans that I may have more compassion for than my cats! Just don't tell my adult kids or older grandkids that!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ruthyb

I am just the same, I don't think you are heardhearted at all, humans in my opinion bring alot of it on themselves.x
Originally Posted by Dusty's Mom

Count me in the hard-hearted group too, though I have compassion for children - the smaller the more compassion I have. I think it has to do with those too young or too weak to take care of themselves.
Gary's always reading to me "Oh, another 78 people were killed in Iraq today..." and it doesn't register emotionally with us. But I can't even tell Gary one of our kitties got a scratch on the nose or something or he'll just about break down!

For us it's definitely something specifically about cats - but it's also to do with those too young or too weak to take care of themselves.

trimph1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You are not hardhearted at all--it's just the nature of things. Now, if Spring or Sweetpea---or any other cat gets hurt, dies or what have you THAT is when go bawl my eyes out!

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Im the same way. Anything distressing to animals and I just geek out. I hate feeding the outside cats because I cant bring them all inside and give them a home. Its just not feasible and now that BF is attached to one of the outside cats Ive got to make the decision...inside or out....Because Ill cave........she will probably end up inside pretty shortly after a vet check of course.

I am extremely hard hearted though because I read about car accidents and stuff and honestly all I can think about is "Gee wonder what they were paying attention to instead of driving properly" like diddling on their cell phones, or ipods or whatever do dads they were playing with. I dont feel sorry or anything for them except little kids will upset me.

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I was reading a story in our local newspaper about a car accident. The gentleman driving the truck involved and the lady in the car involved were both killed, as stated early on. I read on without a lot of obvious concern until I got to a statement about 3/4 of the way down that read "a cat in the car with the (female driver) was also killed"......THAT upset me....but not the loss of two human lives...how sad is that?
Not strange at all to me. I think that for me, it's because the cat was the only one who didn't make a choice to be in the car. Like others have said, it was well and truly an innocent.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittenKrazy

I would feel the same way. I can't stand it when an animal is killed in real life or in a movie or book. It just brings me to tears.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're hardhearted, count me in too. I can read stories in the paper about humans dying, but say that an animal died too and I'll start getting upset at THAT point, and only about the animal.
Poor kitty.

adriana

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's okay, I'm the same way. I guess it's because animals don't put themselves into the situation and they can't do anything about it, plus a lot of times humans PUT the animal into the bad situation. If I see a homeless man on the street, I don't even flinch. Just another daily thing. However, if I see a homeless cat or dog, my heart breaks. Don't get me wrong, I feel for humans, too, I really do, but animals pull at my heart strings a lot easier.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Im the exact same way with either pets or children.

I honestly think it's because they are so innocent

snickerdoodle

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't think it's sad at all. I am the exact same way. Sometimes I do feel a little sad for those who are hurt or killed, but whenever there is an animal involved I get really upset and it takes the entire focus of the story. They are helpless, really, and speechless and can't do anything. Innocent! We are here to take care of them IMHO, and they have no voice. We are their voice.

Reminds me of the new PETA advertisement I saw that made me bawl and it depresses me right now thinking of it, the family being pulled into a helicopter from a flood and screaming that they had to go back and get "him", the helicopter crew refused saying it was too dangerous, the family started screaming, then the camera pans down and the view changes to the dog who is drowning in the water watching the helicopter fly away. GOD how depressing is THAT!?

In any case, all of us here understand the importance of animals and how special they all are individually.

rianna

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's actually a fairly common reaction. When you're reading a story about a car accident, you know that people must be involved. Having a cat be killed in the accident is unusual and a surprise. I would have had the same reaction too.

Plus, my cats mean more to me than most people. lol

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Human suffering really doesn't pull at my heart strings like animal suffering or death does. Human beings often participate in their own undoing. Animals are innocent. except for children, there are no innocent humans. If i saw a person in danger and an animal in danger, I would save the animal first. Unless I knew the person was a cat lover

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your not hard hearted Cindy, and if people think you are then theres a queue of us here behind you.

When they show the bombings on the news in Iraq etc... i'll say to myself "Those poor cats and dogs"