Anyone’s Kitty Snub Different Batches Of The Same Food?

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Can this be possible? Molly will eat just fine then BAM! Sniff and walk. We had two different exp dates on her canned food and she ate the one batch just fine but snubbed the other... the one she snubbed was even several months “ newer” than the one she gobbled. We took the cans back and got a different batch which she is walking away from as well.... she gets dry food as well so eats that instead and is happy and normal acting... just being picky.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can this be possible? Molly will eat just fine then BAM! Sniff and walk. We had two different exp dates on her canned food and she ate the one batch just fine but snubbed the other... the one she snubbed was even several months “ newer” than the one she gobbled. We took the cans back and got a different batch which she is walking away from as well.... she gets dry food as well so eats that instead and is happy and normal acting... just being picky.
What brand/formula? Is it possible they changed it, even slightly? Sometimes if they switch the 16th ingredient with something else, they'll say "Nah, bruh" and walk away. Sometimes cats are TOO smart.. =)
If not, there is no guarantee that something isn't "off" about it and she picks up on this.
I had cats refuse a batch of raw chicken I bought in haste at a supermarket. Even the hog cats with black hole stomachs (with a strong gravitational pull) walked away.
I offered it to the dogs and they gobbled it...but dogs can handle a bigger load of bacteria and happily eat stuff cats wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely. It has happened to me recently actually with a case of merrick beef. To be honest though the consistency seemed off to me and cats pick up on the smallest of changes. I ended up returning the case. Sometimes companies can have issues with a Batch or a few....

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes definitely. It has happened to me recently actually with a case of merrick beef. To be honest though the consistency seemed off to me and cats pick up on the smallest of changes. I ended up returning the case. Sometimes companies can have issues with a Batch or a few....
:anticipation:
....it-was-probably-the-by-products
( mnm mnm this is a cross over of a very funny thread, so no worries!!!)

But yes, sometimes batches have issues. Cats pick up on these things more than we do.
We dog sat a friends little Cocker Spaniel and the normally hungry-always dog did not eat. We examined the food, looked normal, shook the bag around and the kibble on the bottom of the bag had a thin film of mold all over it. Smart pup!

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:anticipation:
....it-was-probably-the-by-products
( mnm mnm this is a cross over of a very funny thread, so no worries!!!)

But yes, sometimes batches have issues. Cats pick up on these things more than we do.
We dog sat a friends little Cocker Spaniel and the normally hungry-always dog did not eat. We examined the food, looked normal, shook the bag around and the kibble on the bottom of the bag had a thin film of mold all over it. Smart pup!
:flail:It's still funny from the last thread. Now everytime someone mentions a kidney or liver transplant etc I'm going to think "by product transplant " :lol:. I'm pretty sure laughing during such conversation would be frowned upon being as I work in the medical field. I'm still going to think it though :D

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:flail:It's still funny from the last thread. Now everytime someone mentions a kidney or liver transplant etc I'm going to think "by product transplant " :lol:. I'm pretty sure laughing during such conversation would be frowned upon being as I work in the medical field. I'm still going to think it though :D
LOL, it happens!!!!!! And now Homer Simpsons saying he can earn money by selling "one of his livers" is just....so hilarious!!

I think it's totally weird when a cat eats a food then snubs a batch and there's usually a reason, a good one, or one that we say "REALLY? Why?!!? They just moved ingredient #18 to #19 and #19 to #18!! Why is that a "Thing"?"
I'm hoping mnm mnm still has the ingredients labels from the last and current batch, but if not I get that as I rarely save empty cans of cat food except for recycling.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After reading your replies stand to reason even if the ingredients would be listed the same those particular ingredients aren’t necessarily the exact in taste as the other batch ... guess I can chalk it up to a very intelligent kitty with keen senses
She’s eating Purina ProPlan turkey and rice.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After reading your replies stand to reason even if the ingredients would be listed the same those particular ingredients aren’t necessarily the exact in taste as the other batch ... guess I can chalk it up to a very intelligent kitty with keen senses
There's something she doesn't like there.
Does she have aversion to other foods? Does ProPlan offer another comparable line, hopefully?

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There's something she doesn't like there.
Does she have aversion to other foods? Does ProPlan offer another comparable line, hopefully?
She used to eat more flavors but then zoomed in on only the turkey and rice. We’ve tried great food as well as FF and this is the one she has demanded . She is simply eating more dry instead so at least she’s eating... we’ll give it several days trying before changing it up on her . We don’t know her history.. she’s 9 and we got her a year ago so we don’t know if she even ate wet food before but once we found the turkey and rice appeased her we are perplexed why she will eat some cans and not others.

2BSH

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read on this board that people’s cats have been recently refusing their fancy feast ( food they have eaten without a problem for a long time). I think perhaps purina ( purina makes fancy feast)has recently reformulated their products.. I think even without a label change. That might be the reason for your kitty’s refusal :dunno:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She used to eat more flavors but then zoomed in on only the turkey and rice. We’ve tried great food as well as FF and this is the one she has demanded . She is simply eating more dry instead so at least she’s eating... we’ll give it several days trying before changing it up on her . We don’t know her history.. she’s 9 and we got her a year ago so we don’t know if she even ate wet food before but once we found the turkey and rice appeased her we are perplexed why she will eat some cans and not others.
At least she's eating something else!
I do think cats sometimes get bored with their food. Or they decide they've had enough of it and would like something else but aren't saying what they want =/
Do you have a pet shop that has single cans available that you could try?
It's so weird that she snubbed this batch.
Do you notice any (even very slight) inconsistencies between cans (color, texture, smell, etc?)

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No difference that we can tell but... interesting since the batch that has the 2019 expiration is the one she snubbed compared to the exp of this September so could be a change in ingredients ... will check the exp in the new batch we bought last night that she snubbed as well.. if it’s a further out expiration date maybe the ingredients have indeed been changed

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I read on this board that people’s cats have been recently refusing their fancy feast ( food they have eaten without a problem for a long time). I think perhaps purina ( purina makes fancy feast)has recently reformulated their products.. I think even without a label change. That might be the reason for your kitty’s refusal :dunno:
Sure makes sense

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats get fussy with new lots all the time. I guess even if the recipe and everything is the same, no formula changes, each lot might be slightly different in smell, taste, or texture, i think thats unavoidable. Cats are so good at pick up on this stuff. Normally if i sprinkle their treats on top of the new lot they are good to go after a can or two. or i put it in the back of the pantry and rotate it back in in a few weeks, that will often work too. :rolleyes:

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lol thank you... I’m thinking she wants to keep us guessing

Daisy6

A cat's best friend
Super Cat
Purraise
It has certainly happened here. I need to save money by subscribing to one formula and thought autoshipping would be a good idea for my picky eater. Months later the cans looked more watery and Daisy was not happy about it. She decided she needs to eat something else and did not change her mind when better batches arrived.

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is STILL on dry only!!! Cannot find any she will try so we’re taking a break! So strange to go from eating so scheduled with her wet to totally only wanting dry but she is happy and healthy... tears thru the house running and sounding like a herd of elephants still st 9 years old so not gonna stress over it!

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
We just had this issue with Merrick's, too! All four of our cats suddenly didn't like the Merrick's turkey and one other one...maybe the duck, I can't remember.