Anyone with experience with Clavamox to treat a liver issue, or with Clavamox in general?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did it help your cat's liver condition?  did it cause loss of appetite, lethargy, other digestive issues, etc, what was your experience with Clavamox?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've used Clavamox previously for upper respiratory infections primarily.  Clavamox is a general antibiotic that is known to cause upset tummies and vomiting in kitties.  An upset tummy can cause loss of appetite.  It's not my favorite choice of antibiotic, but it's helpful.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog was just on it last week for a UTI and had to go off for GI problems that would not let up. She just start a new antibiotic today.

faeleen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
However it has been extremely successful in the past for her- just odd ball this time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies.  I am not giving it to him this morning until I speak with the vet.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know when my kitty had fatty liver he was given every kitties favorite antibiotic metro, brand name Flagyl.  He was always given metro when he was flaring with then undiagnosed IBD.  I had always though Metro was the antibiotic of choice for GI issues because it also has anti inflammatory properties.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
yes, I am not sure, Denise, Obi has been on metronidazole in the past.  I just know his mood is generally good but he starts eating with  good appetite and then stops.  This has been going on for a couple of weeks, but more pronounced since his ultrasound last monday.

jdollprincess

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Clavamox is a top choice in antibiotics especially for cats. It treats a broad range of infections and in cats particularly it works much better then amoxicillin alone. Unfortunately I've personally not had very good luck with it. Most recently my herpes cat Pheobe was on it for vaginitis and after her first dose she vomited about 8 times even though I gave it with food. The vet ended up switching her to Simplicef.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My vet wants me to stay the course.  Obi is not vomiting, although his stools are somewhat loose and he in not eating real well. 

cheddarwaffles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cats have always tolerated clavamox better than amoxicillin or "Amoxidrops" alone. The added drug in clavamox help limit stomach or intestinal side effects according to my various vets in the past.

For infections, including respiratory, skin wounds, inner ear, and urinary it's been prescribed to me. I've not had it prescribed solely for high liver labwork, or liver mass, or fatty liver due to prolonged poor appetite. Other meds were prescribed, but not clavamox.

Hope Obi feels better with effective therapy and meds soon!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hannah can usually tolerate Clavamox for about 7 days, then she starts throwing up.