Anyone with domain registration / site hosting expertise?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, all!

I'd like to create my own personal website, but know next to nothing about initial set-up procedures. Does anyone have any suggestions as to whom I should purchase the domain from and with whom I should host the site? It's not going to be crazy elaborate and I'm not selling anything; I expect it'll look sorta like this site: ConsciousCat.net.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I'd like to get this right (or as close as possible) right from the start.

Thanks!

AC

capt_jordi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use 1and1 but I know very very little about it. Gary handles it all! If he is feeling up to it, I will get him to write up some info on it!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a website for more than a decade and have tried a few different hosts. For the past several years I've been using 1and1 Internet. I find them very reliable and the amount of web traffic is unlimited! And they are very reasonable.

Thankfully all of the above is good because I find that while you have customer service via live telephone 24/7 365 days of the year, it isn't always helpful. The whole language barrier thing!

But overall I'm very satisfied with the service I'm paying for. I believe they have 6 months free right now.

They also bill you in 6 month increments. However, you sign up for a years woth or service.

http://order.1and1.com/xml/order/Hom...811.TCpfix142b

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Capt_jordi, Natalie_ca! I've used 1and1 in the past and found their website interface to be headache-inducingly frustrating, so I was trying to stay away from them this time. I guess may need to rethink that!

I bought the domain name from name.com last night, so at least I've the name I wanted.

AC

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've put together two websites through Weebly & have been very impressed with how easy it is. It may be a bit more "simple" than some people want, but it's easy to update!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Thanks, Capt_jordi, Natalie_ca! I've used 1and1 in the past and found their website interface to be headache-inducingly frustrating, so I was trying to stay away from them this time. I guess may need to rethink that!

I bought the domain name from name.com last night, so at least I've the name I wanted.

AC
I've never used the online web creation feature. I use Front Page 2000 to build my websites and use an FTP program to upload it to the host site. I find this much easier for me and it gives me more freedom for design.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thats interesting Natalie_ca I have used 1&1 for years and never thought of doing that
what a good idea as thier templates ect can be boring and its really dificult to change them. I am off to UK today and I will ask my BIL who is a wiz on computers to give me a hand.
Good luck with your site Auntie crazy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What do you guys think of Host Gator? Have any you of you used their services?

I've spent hours browsing the Web Hosting Talk forum and, among a ton of totally useless facts, I discovered that the owner of Host Gator, Brent, answers requests for help personally. It's actually embedded in the Host Gator Terms of Service that anyone at anytime can reach out to him. I find that a pretty doggone high level of commitment. And his responses on the (few) threads complaining about various issues were respectful and - far more importantly - resolved every issue.

Decisions, decisions...

AC

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
The rugcats.com domain is registered through GoDaddy. My site is with Dancing Star. I started out with a free GeoCities site, but switched over to Dancing Star several years ago and I'm very happy there. Whenever I have a question or something is bugging me, I can call her or email and she's right there to help.

She might be rather expensive for some, but I like being there....I think last year I paid $150 dollars and that was for 350mg of space. Which is more than I'll use. Even with the rugcats site, the blog, recipes, pictures, etc. I'm good to go. And like I said, her response time is incredible.

I'm a FrontPage2000 fan, too. Although I can also write raw html when I have to. One of my best friends has her site with them, too, and she and I will work together to get a page done. I haven't worked on my site for several years. It needs a massive upgrade!