Anyone watching the new season of Downton Abbey?

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I missed it tonight and am impatiently waiting for the replay at 2 am. Got about 10 minutes to go. My husband watched it earlier and said something crazy happens at the end.....

So far, I am loving the new episodes. It is so nice to see Edith in gorgeous gowns and getting proper attention from a proper man! Her outfits last week were outstanding. The costuming and set are a big part of why I love the show. And Maggie Smith, of course! The Dowager is my favorite character. I especially love the interaction between her and Cora's obnoxious, American mother.

Any other fans on TCS?

Last edited:

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We never watched the series until last year.  I think season 1 was cheap, and we got it on dvd for Christmas.  Hooked after season 1.  I got the other 2 series for my birthday and was caught up by the middle of April of last year.  So all of us as a family watched the premeire last Sunday (I have a sophomore in college and a junior in high school).

I had heard something was going to happen this season.  I saw the disclaimer last night- told the girls about it so they could make the decision to watch or not (things like that can be awkward with parents around I guess).  They chose not to but dh and I saw it.  As I was facebooking to another local who loves the series- it does give the show a new storyline.  Not sure how I feel about it.  It is kind of like a soap opera- but I like how this one is done compared to- General Hospital.

Cheryl

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh, my gosh. Now I know why my husband looked shocked. I wonder how this will play out....will they have him arrested or hush everything up to protect the 'dignity' of the house and the two families? Because you know everyone will find out eventually :( And would the servant of a high society man even be arrested for a the rape and assault of another servant?

I have been thinking about the stigma attached to rape, even now. The stories coming out of Egypt, India and the US military are disturbing, to say the least. In the 20's, I imagine it was probably pretty common for a woman to be mercilessly shunned and blamed for being raped. The whole 'ruined woman' nonsense. Heck, it still happens today. We have come a long way in supporting rape victims, and understanding why it really happens, but not nearly far enough.

I kept thinking thank goodness for Mrs. Hughes. She is such a liberal and modern woman for her time and very motherly towards her workers. She will take care of everything, I hope. I cannot imagine what Mr. Carson's reaction will be when he finds out. Or Mr. Bates, for that matter.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody else think that the cause of Anna's queasy tummy is that she is already pregnant with Bates' child?

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh I am feeling ashamed!!! I'm in Australia and the new series starts next week here. I Suppose I've only cheated a little bit! You guys didn't give too much away. Ooo ahhh it's sounds fabulous!! I can't wait until it starts now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happybird

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tammat, don't feel bad ;) Last week, my husband and I watched season 2 of Game of Thrones on dvd. Immediately after, I looked up season 3 on wikipedia and read the whole episode guide :anon:
He won't let me tell him what happens and I am about to burst from holding it in!

And I did the same thing with True Blood and Bleach. :anon:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tammat, don't feel bad ;) Last week, my husband and I watched season 2 of Game of Thrones on dvd. Immediately after, I looked up season 3 on wikipedia and read the whole episode guide :anon:
He won't let me tell him what happens and I am about to burst from holding it in!

And I did the same thing with True Blood and Bleach. :anon:
Oh good. I'll stay subscribed to this thread then. ;)

Last edited:

tammat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't really watch Revenge just bits and pieces but I see the ads for it all the time. Does anyone know who shoots Emily?

emery

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't really watch Revenge just bits and pieces but I see the ads for it all the time. Does anyone know who shoots Emily?
It was Daniel, her new husband.
I saw the new season a while ago as well. Exciting.