Anyone using Xarelto (rivaroxaban)?

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is anyone using Xarelto to treat HCM, and can you share your experience with this drug? Your cat’s circumstances, dosage, side effects, etc. Feedback would be very much appreciated.

There are virtually no clinical studies of Xarelto in cats—just found one small published study to date. The results of the Supercat study at University of Georgia (comparing clopidogrel to rivaroxaban) have not been published yet. I have searched this forum and there aren’t many posts about this drug).

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I couldn't find anyone who has used it on their cats, but did find this thread which references a couple good articles about the use of it in cats:

Xarelto (rivaroxaban)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to start Xarelto in my cat Mojo, who has now survived two saddle thrombus with rear leg paralysis, caused by HCM. Wish us luck!

Tabbycat26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is on dual therapy (clopidogrel and Xarelto) since June '21. He had ATE (partial) in December 2020, survived after 48 hours treatment in ICU and was prescribed clopidogrel but had similar episode (although less severe) in early June. So far no side effect worth noting since on dual therapy.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update: Mojo had a slow recovery from her second saddle thrombus with rear leg paralysis in April, but she did recover and regained full use of her legs. After the second saddle thrombus, I concluded that clopidogrel was not going to stop the clots, so I requested the Xarelto. The cardiac vet initially dismissed my request, but then researched it, and agreed to prescribe Xarelto, but wanted to keep Mojo on clopidogrel as well.

Now it is about 7 months after the second saddle thrombus: Mojo is still on dual therapy clopidogrel and Xarelto (rivaroxaban), and has not had another blood clot. Xarelto is crazy expensive, but if it gives her additional time with quality of life, I will gladly pay.

I also note that a clinical study was published in January concluding that about 20% of cats do not respond to clopidogrel because of a genetic mutation.

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update: Mojo had a slow recovery from her second saddle thrombus with rear leg paralysis in April, but she did recover and regained full use of her legs. After the second saddle thrombus, I concluded that clopidogrel was not going to stop the clots, so I requested the Xarelto. The cardiac vet initially dismissed my request, but then researched it, and agreed to prescribe Xarelto, but wanted to keep Mojo on clopidogrel as well.

Now it is about 7 months after the second saddle thrombus: Mojo is still on dual therapy clopidogrel and Xarelto (rivaroxaban), and has not had another blood clot. Xarelto is crazy expensive, but if it gives her additional time with quality of life, I will gladly pay.

I also note that a clinical study was published in January concluding that about 20% of cats do not respond to clopidogrel because of a genetic mutation.
Sybil was on clopidigrel and aspirin neither stopped her from having a saddle thrombus. They do not stop clots. Anti platelets won’t and I believe they state that, just like with people you need a real “blood thinner” such as warfarin, xarelto, eliquis and so on. At that time there was only the study you mentioned for cats that I could find and no one would rx it for her. Saddly she had end stage hcm as well as crf snd she was not going to survive the thrombus so we let her go. I am glad your kitty mojo survived, recovered from 2 st, that is amazing and that she can get xarelto. I wish my Sybil girlie could have been on it too 😿

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sybil was on clopidigrel and aspirin neither stopped her from having a saddle thrombus. They do not stop clots. Anti platelets won’t and I believe they state that, just like with people you need a real “blood thinner” such as warfarin, xarelto, eliquis and so on. At that time there was only the study you mentioned for cats that I could find and no one would rx it for her. Saddly she had end stage hcm as well as crf snd she was not going to survive the thrombus so we let her go. I am glad your kitty mojo survived, recovered from 2 st, that is amazing and that she can get xarelto. I wish my Sybil girlie could have been on it too 😿
I am replying again because something is wrong with this site, it is not adding my full edit in, so frustrating. I was saying that anti platelets also do not prevent embolism from the heart and strokes in people either contrary to popular opinion.

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry for your loss. 💔 My cardiac vet recommended adding aspirin after the second saddle thrombus; but I didn’t think aspirin would work, so I asked for Xarelto.

Last edited: