Anyone using battery powered heating pads for feral shelter?

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm trying to find an economical way to heat a shelter for a cat I care for. He's neutered, blood tested and vaccinated and very friendly, but I can't bring him indoors because he fights with my resident cats.

I have 20 former feral cats so one more wouldn't make any difference. In spite of trying to get them used to each other through the enclosure fence over the past two years he still attacks the cats that are able to get out of the enclosure, and the boys that can't get out throw themselves at the fence yowling whenever they see him.

He has a covered feeding station and a modified dog kennel which he has just started napping in. The kennel is against the side of the house, up on bricks and lined with cardboard and straw. I've got a tarp ready to cover it when it starts to snow, but I've only had it in place for a few weeks so I want to give him time to get used to it before I cover it.

It's adequate for now, but I'm worried about him being cold when the really harsh weather comes. I live up in the mountains and it gets down to -10C or lower in January and February.

I thought about an electric heating pad, but Mr Husband said it will cost too much to have something plugged in over night for two months. I've seen heating pads that you can warm-up in a microwave oven, but I don't have a microwave. So I thought a battery powered heating pad might work.

Has anyone used one? Or any other ideas about how to keep a shelter warm?

He obviously has other places he can shelter, there are lots of abandoned houses in this area and there are a few even I could walk into if I wanted, so I'm sure he isn't out in the woods all night. I just worry about him though. He's such a lovely boy, he deserves a good life.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The outdoor approved electric heatpads do not use much electricity at all. I think I read that it's equivalent to a light bulb. I used them for years on my deck. The heat pads ( 6 of them) were plugged in for 5 months. We did not notice much difference in our bills at all. There are also some types of heat pads that need the cat to be on them (applying pressure) to produce the heat.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I also use outdoor and indoor cat/dog approved heating pads. The mistake I made once was to use human heating pads which are not meant to be used say, for overnight use as an animal heating pad would. Those did run up the bill but the animals pads did not. K and H is a company that makes a lot of these products.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also use outdoor and indoor cat/dog approved heating pads. The mistake I made once was to use human heating pads which are not meant to be used say, for overnight use as an animal heating pad would. Those did run up the bill but the animals pads did not. K and H is a company that makes a lot of these products.
I use the K&H too. I have used both the soft sided pads and the harder one. Here is a description from the K&H Extreme weather heat pad:
K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad
Description
The K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad is an essential source of warmth for your kitties or feral cats that spend time outdoors during the chilly fall or spring months, and frigid cold winter months. The K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad is made of durable ABS plastic, perfect for years of outdoor wear and tear. The internal pre-set thermostat keeps the surface nice and warm when in use; even in the coldest of temperatures. Place it in a shed, garage, barn, kitty house or anywhere dry and protected that your outdoor kitties like to spend time. This pad features a 5½ feet steel wrapped cord to deter chewing. Using only 40 watts, the K&H Extreme Weather Heated Kitty Pad is very economical. All K&H heated outdoor pads are MET listed for safety, meaning you can feel secure in leaving them plugged in 24/7.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you all for your replies. I was hoping to get a picture of Fergus using his shelter before I updated, but this was as good as I could get.

Fergus25.jpg

Gotta love that little bob tail though. :heartshape:
Fergus23.jpg

This is his set-up. Kennel raised on bricks and a covered feeding shelter next to it
Fergus21.jpg

I've had my trail camera out all week. He doesn't seem to be around at night, but he hangs out here most of the afternoon and will nap inside the shelter then. I guess he has somewhere else to sleep at night. There are a lot of abandoned houses near here, he can probably get inside a full furnished cabin somewhere close by.

A few of my boys can get out of their enclosure and they take turns napping in the shelter when Fergus isn't around.
Albert60.jpg

The outdoor approved electric heatpads do not use much electricity at all. I think I read that it's equivalent to a light bulb
That's good to know, thank you.

The mistake I made once was to use human heating pads which are not meant to be used say, for overnight use as an animal heating pad would.
Right! If I get one I'll make sure I get the pads for animal use.

I use the K&H too. I have used both the soft sided pads and the harder one.
Those look good. Which one worked better for you, the soft sided or the harder one?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
shadowsrescue said:
I use the K&H too. I have used both the soft sided pads and the harder one.
Those look good. Which one worked better for you, the soft sided or the harder one?
For warmth my boys loved the hard sided heat pad. It was warm all the time. The soft sided one worked best when it wasn't very cold outside. Yet both do provide heat so you can't go wrong with either.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have your husband check into those k&h heated pads, they use electricity equal to q 40-60 watt bulb, so not much at all. I've got 6 of them going with extension cords all through the winter and have never had a spike in my bill. since I've changed to all LED fixtures in my house, I've had a big drop, he might look into those if he wants to save money.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you!

I'm still in two minds as to whether he needs a heat pad or not, as he only seem to use the shelter in the afternoons when it's in full sun light. I'll definitely add a heat pad to my wish list though, as it's bound no come in handy eventually.

:thanks: