Anyone use human conditioner on their long haired cat?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Strange question I'm sure, but really looking for a solution that will help my girl Simone with her fur matting.

Simone is approx 16 or more yrs old and has CKD, hyperthyroidism and arthritis (which she is not on any meds for/arthritis)

So she is not grooming as she once did, I never had issues with her fur until the past year or two, especially on her hind hip area, she is matting, she loves to be combed/brushed as long as I don't go 'there'!

So maybe 8 months back I took her and had to have her underside shaved and her hips, yes she looked funny but she was clean of mats.

Well here we are again, although her underside fur has no mats now, only her hip area again, but I can feel her fur on her back doesn't seem clean, so I want to bathe her as I think clean fur won't mat as easily, but thought about using my pantene conditioner on her, not on her skin as I'm afraid it will make her get dirty/oily faster, but more on the ends of her fur.

What do you guys think?

This is my Simone, maybe 2 years ago.

As you can see, LOTS of fur/undercoat.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be afraid of her licking chemicals from the conditioner.. I don't think it'd be safe.

Isn't there cat conditioner or the likes made for cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good point.

You would think so, yesterday I looked at Petco and only saw one that was shampoo and cond in one for show cats.

I should check out online, see if there are any.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
@catwoman707, conditioners work by leaving chemicals on the hair to make it more manageable.  Especially for a cat with chronic kidney disease I would be extremely leery of any kind of conditioner.  Those designed for human hair are absolutely out, and I'd want to see the safety test reports and a list of ingredients before I used one designed for cats.

Jasmine has just turned 5, and also has a problem with matting.  What works for her is to get a small pair of very sharp scissors to cut through the mat, not under it (to avoid cutting skin), and then to brush her.  With the mat shortened to crew cut length it's much easier to brush out the remainder of it.  And once you've gotten rid of the mats, daily brushing should prevent them; Jasmine's problem is caused by my negligence in not giving her daily grooming.  (In my defense, it's too hot for cat snuggles this summer, and when it gets cool enough for me to go to sleep that's all I want to do.)

Simone is gorgeous, by the way.

Margret

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

@catwoman707, conditioners work by leaving chemicals on the hair to make it more manageable.  Especially for a cat with chronic kidney disease I would be extremely leery of any kind of conditioner.  Those designed for human hair are absolutely out, and I'd want to see the safety test reports and a list of ingredients before I used one designed for cats.

Jasmine has just turned 5, and also has a problem with matting.  What works for her is to get a small pair of very sharp scissors to cut through the mat, not under it (to avoid cutting skin), and then to brush her.  With the mat shortened to crew cut length it's much easier to brush out the remainder of it.  And once you've gotten rid of the mats, daily brushing should prevent them; Jasmine's problem is caused by my negligence in not giving her daily grooming.  (In my defense, it's too hot for cat snuggles this summer, and when it gets cool enough for me to go to sleep that's all I want to do.)

Margret
Thank you, she really is a beauty, she has big blue eyes, pink lips and a sweet girly meow :)

Yes, this is what I do, and never go under the mat, tissue thin skin it's far too risky.

However, despite my raking and brushing her, almost daily, she will not let me near her hips which is where she has arthritis clearly since this has only started the past couple years, she's always loved to be groomed prior.

So when I go to that area she's done, flat out that's it! She whips that head around as if to smack or snap at me, which she has never actually done but it tells me loud and clear, do NOT even think about it! lol

Included in her lack of grooming now, her back feels unclean, and I'm convinced is fueling the mats to form so I want to bathe her, having only done this to her once in her life, she used to do an excellent job grooming as her pic shows.

Just imagined a conditioner might help this, and also thought that pantene would have to be approved for human use, so it must be safe, even for chewing on as some people do (not me of course but FDA would consider that it's safe for that)

I think conditioners are basically wax coating somehow but also thought it might be a dirt attractant too...........ugh.

imjustacatmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Aloha please stay away from any human hair products on cats...human hair products contain Nast nasty chemicals that even if they are dry still stay on and it can result in making them sick...even more so if they already have health issues....you can buy detangler for cats and shampoo and conditioner for them too...I think you shaving her is a brilliant idea especially if she would rather you not go there...it seems like that would be less stressful for her considering her age also....hope this helped btw your cat is beautiful...I too have a long haired cat

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
Thank you, she really is a beauty, she has big blue eyes, pink lips and a sweet girly meow :)

Yes, this is what I do, and never go under the mat, tissue thin skin it's far too risky.

However, despite my raking and brushing her, almost daily, she will not let me near her hips which is where she has arthritis clearly since this has only started the past couple years, she's always loved to be groomed prior.

So when I go to that area she's done, flat out that's it! She whips that head around as if to smack or snap at me, which she has never actually done but it tells me loud and clear, do NOT even think about it! lol

Included in her lack of grooming now, her back feels unclean, and I'm convinced is fueling the mats to form so I want to bathe her, having only done this to her once in her life, she used to do an excellent job grooming as her pic shows.

Just imagined a conditioner might help this, and also thought that pantene would have to be approved for human use, so it must be safe, even for chewing on as some people do (not me of course but FDA would consider that it's safe for that)

I think conditioners are basically wax coating somehow but also thought it might be a dirt attractant too...........ugh.
No, not wax.  The conditioner I use I spray on just before towel drying my hair.  I have baby fine hair and this leaves it very soft and manageable.  Anything waxy would make it harder and thicker and would tend to flake off.  Also, it would melt and run while blow drying.  It's chemicals.

Some humans may suck on their hair a little bit, but we don't use our tongues as wash cloths, and you probably don't want to hear my opinions on what the FDA does and does not approve for human consumption -- I believe my brain tumor was caused by something the FDA still considers to be perfectly safe.  And I seriously doubt that hair conditioner has been approved for human consumption as that is not its intended use.

Have you considered asking your vet about something for her arthritis?  I know you need to be careful about drugs with the kidney problems, but I hate to think of any cat in so much pain that she can't bear to groom herself.  I know they make glucosamine and chondroitin in pet sized doses, and it certainly helped my arthritis, though it took a while.

Check out the conditioners intended for cats, and check on how they've been tested.  If you have any doubts, take a notebook along to the store and make a list of ingredients and ask your vet.  In the meantime, take her to the groomer and get a hygienic shave, then bathe her as necessary, without conditioner, until you know what is safe for her.  I'm sorry, but I really don't think there are any easy answers to this problem.

Margret

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

No, not wax.  The conditioner I use I spray on just before towel drying my hair.  I have baby fine hair and this leaves it very soft and manageable.  Anything waxy would make it harder and thicker and would tend to flake off.  Also, it would melt and run while blow drying.  It's chemicals.

Some humans may suck on their hair a little bit, but we don't use our tongues as wash cloths, and you probably don't want to hear my opinions on what the FDA does and does not approve for human consumption -- I believe my brain tumor was caused by something the FDA still considers to be perfectly safe.  And I seriously doubt that hair conditioner has been approved for human consumption as that is not its intended use.

Have you considered asking your vet about something for her arthritis?  I know you need to be careful about drugs with the kidney problems, but I hate to think of any cat in so much pain that she can't bear to groom herself.  I know they make glucosamine and chondroitin in pet sized doses, and it certainly helped my arthritis, though it took a while.

Check out the conditioners intended for cats, and check on how they've been tested.  If you have any doubts, take a notebook along to the store and make a list of ingredients and ask your vet.  In the meantime, take her to the groomer and get a hygienic shave, then bathe her as necessary, without conditioner, until you know what is safe for her.  I'm sorry, but I really don't think there are any easy answers to this problem.

Margret
I have begun researching arthritis pain meds for her, it's a bit tricky with her condition as you said, and find there are pros and cons with all of them.

I am not one who will trust a vet's choice either, having the experience that I do, I'm pretty skeptical........Simone's next visit which is very soon, I will def be discussing this with her vet.

I think it's more the curling her body position to groom her hip area, she cleans her privates fine still, but those she can get to easier than her outer hips.

I would never allow my cats to live in pain, and keep a watchful eye on everything they do for new or advancing developments, and recently did notice she took a step :(

It's super hot here today and tmrw so I think it's bath time. No conditioner, it's too questionable, just babydog shampoo which I LOVE. (for baby cats too!)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Margret
I have begun researching arthritis pain meds for her, it's a bit tricky with her condition as you said, and find there are pros and cons with all of them.

I am not one who will trust a vet's choice either, having the experience that I do, I'm pretty skeptical........Simone's next visit which is very soon, I will def be discussing this with her vet.

I think it's more the curling her body position to groom her hip area, she cleans her privates fine still, but those she can get to easier than her outer hips.

I would never allow my cats to live in pain, and keep a watchful eye on everything they do for new or advancing developments, and recently did notice she took a step :(

It's super hot here today and tmrw so I think it's bath time. No conditioner, it's too questionable, just babydog shampoo which I LOVE. (for baby cats too!)
  1. I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you of ignoring her pain -- that was not my intention.  I was just trying to suggest options.
  2. You may or may not recall that I lost a decade to a brain tumor.  One result of this is that I don't always understand texting shortcuts and such.  What does "tmrw" mean?
  3. I agree; if you need to bathe a cat, hot weather is the time to do it.  I hope you don't get clawed too badly.
  4. I'm also skeptical, mostly about M.D.s.  When I find one I can trust I try to stick with her, but a major part of trusting a doctor is having a doctor who recognizes my intelligence and doesn't ask me to over-rule my own good judgment.  I believe the same thing applies to vets, except that with them it's not the intelligence of the patient that we want them to recognize, it's the intelligence of the patient's humans.  I wish you luck with finding such a vet.
Margret

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

1. I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you of ignoring her pain -- that was not my intention.  I was just trying to suggest options. Nonsense, you did not sound accusative at all. I knew what you meant :)
  2. You may or may not recall that I lost a decade to a brain tumor.  One result of this is that I don't always understand texting shortcuts and such.  What does "tmrw" mean? Tmrw is short for tomorrow.
  3. I agree; if you need to bathe a cat, hot weather is the time to do it.  I hope you don't get clawed too badly. 
  4. I'm also skeptical, mostly about M.D.s.  When I find one I can trust I try to stick with her, but a major part of trusting a doctor is having a doctor who recognizes my intelligence and doesn't ask me to over-rule my own good judgment.  I believe the same thing applies to vets, except that with them it's not the intelligence of the patient that we want them to recognize, it's the intelligence of the patient's humans. Exactly! Thankfully any/all vets I have seen are well aware of my experience and knowledge, they know I will question, consider, debate, and even disagree. It's been many years since I have dealt with a vet treating me as the typical pet owner, like handing me a list of treatments that are unnecessary and costly. Not all vets do this, but sadly, many do. People don't question it, they simply pay it because they love their pet. Not only the financial part, but convincing them of what might be best for kitty is not always what's best. 
  5.   I wish you luck with finding such a vet. 
Margret

kitaros mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Following in hope also. My 10 yr old Maine Coon has started getting small matts under his chin. thankfully they have brushed out easily however 3 days ago i found a rather large dense one on his hip. 3 days of on/of brushing and a small trim had failed to move it much. tonight i popped about 5 ml of Olive Oil on the base of the clump as i had read and also been told it would help loosen it. i just patted it in as he had had enough of the brush for tonight. Shall rebrush him tomorrow morn and reapply 5 ml of Olive oil tomoz eve before i attempt to brush him again. Shall keep you posted over the next few days.

kitaros mum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE Well the large clump of matted hair is gone.!!

After my initial squirt of olive oil 2 days ago, i repeated it last night along with brushing twice throughout the  day. This morning the clump was  much smaller and easier to get at. Some of the edge of the clump just brushed out due to the oil on the hair. I trimmed away a little bit more but not close to his skin.  No closer than the width of my fingers. Tonight after 2 more brushings thro the day. He happily sat on the towel on the bench and allowed me to have a decent go at it. BINGO! it is now GONE!!!. Must admit i was surprised at how easily it came out. Kitaro is now sporting a dusting of pure cornflour to soak up the extra oil. Happy Mumma and Happy Puss Cat :) :) 

foxxycat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honeybee on my lap, music playing in background
I used to use coconut oil on Floey when she got matts. I also took her to the groomers and we shaved her. She loved her hair cut short. she pranced around loving not having to lick. Yes it was uncomfortable at the groomers and we needed 2 of us to restrain her but my groomer is fast and got her entire cut clipped off in 10 minutes. so ten minutes of hissing and howling then a minute later in the truck she was purring away.

you can do the clipping like was mentioned above.

you can get dasquin for the arthritis. some sprinkle on food-I pill my girl-its actually faster this way. I use a pill popper and coat the capsule with butter and its done in 5 seconds-she is submissive so doesn't fight me. My angel Floey was not the same. she refused to open her mouth no matter what. Only the vets could get her mouth open. I did adequan injections with her-we used a lower dose for the kidney issues. It seemed to help. in the beginning its an injection every 4 days for the next 16 days then its once a week for a month and every other week for a few months then monthly.

I wouldn't use human products for the reason she will lick. olive oil or coconut oil are perfectly safe. plus if she has constipation due to not moving around enough-the oil will coat the colon and help things slide along so to speak. 

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of the olive oil idea.  I had a huge mat in my own hair a few months after my brain surgery, from spending so much time in bed.  I called my beautician and she suggested exactly this for it.  Unfortunately, at the time I was limited to a single shower per week (long story) and needed help just for that -- I couldn't bear to give up any of my precious shower time to putting oil in my hair, so I waited until the hair grew out enough that I could simply cut it off.  Not effective for a cat.

@Kitaros Mum, um, corn flour, not corn starch?

Maybe you should consider writing this up as an article for those of us who have cats with this problem.

Margret

Last edited: