Anyone try out really tall cat trees? Worry about height and wobble.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Has anyone ever tried a really tall cat tree for there cats?

https://www.chewy.com/armarkat-77-in-faux.../dp/55124...

Even in the video shown here it looks like the cat tree is super wobbly. And I'm wondering if the cats will even like a cat tree that tall. Moving into a small studio soon, so trying to think vertically.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a tree about that high for my guys. They love it (especially as access to a high level platform), but it does need anchoring. Ideally, you'd anchor it to the wall with a bracket, but I've anchored it to a sturdy, stable bookshelf with a strap. This isn't ideal, but its currently my only option.
(Please excuse the slightly chaotic room lol.)
16180817649982516881725302760610.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've got a tree about that high for my guys. They love it (especially as access to a high level platform), but it does need anchoring. Ideally, you'd anchor it to the wall with a bracket, but I've anchored it to a sturdy, stable bookshelf with a strap. This isn't ideal, but its currently my only option.
(Please excuse the slightly chaotic room lol.)
View attachment 376102
Sorry when you mean anchor, how do you mean? It'll be right in front of a wall, but how do I anchor it to the wall?

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a tall one, too. It isn't anchored to anything and my 18 lb cat can jump up into the top bed without any problems. The base is firmly up against the wall to stabilize it.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can buy wall brackets for cat trees. You screw one end into the cat tree, and the other into the wall to stabilise it.

I should add that the tree I have is a very small footprint, so is more unstable than a square or oblong based tree. This is the specs for mine
Catherine Cat Tree

I have 66" trees in a similar design to the one you're looking at, and they're perfectly solid and stable without a wall bracket.

Last edited:

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can buy wall brackets for cat trees. You screw one end into the cat tree, and the other into the wall to stabilise it.

I should add that the tree I have is a very small footprint, so is more unstable than a square or oblong based tree. This is the specs for mine
Catherine Cat Tree

I have 66" trees in a similar design to the one you're looking at, and they're perfectly solid and stable without a wall bracket.
Can you link to a wall bracket? When I look it up I just keep getting shelves.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we bought a 6foot plus? for graycie she is able to sniff the ceiling while on the top perch she loves it far as the wobble you can weight the bottom more or buy a wider square piece of particle board mount it with few screws for a wider more stable baseonly complaint i have is its not real carpet its that fuzzy stuff which imo doesnt give good grip for climbing etc

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always bought heavier cat trees if they are high and that in itself will sometimes solve the problem.
Bracing it against something works if you have the option to do that.
You might try earthquake bracing supplies to see if anything works.

How To Make A Cat Tree More Stable in 7 Easy Steps

I don't know if either of the articles will help. I am not mechanical at all and can barely work a light switch.

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 66' cat tree, Tom's Tower by Molly and Friends. Probably because it weighs 99 lbs., I do not have problems with instability. I have had 12 lb. cats run around the outside of the 16" bed at the top and the tree did not wobble. It came in one piece and nothing has ever come loose. I have had it for over eight years and it is still in good shape. It was not cheap, but it has lasted a long time, so to me it is worth the money.

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 6 foot super sturdy tree made by a local company. It's solid wood covered in carpet. It doesn't move when the cats jump on or off it. A lot of mass produced trees are basically made of thin plywood and are super lightweight and wobbly.

I'm sure hardware stores have straps or brackets or hangers meant to keep pipes in place or hold them to the wall or something along those lines. Furniture safety straps might be an option.

An option to look at is a wall mounted tree. If you move out, there will be small holes in the wall left that can be easily patched up.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
@Carter1992, here's an example of furniture anchors, but I'm sure you can find something at any hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LB6VG77/?tag=thecatsite

I have a few cat trees. None are achored. The tallest and oldest is 69" with a 24x24" round base and weighs 40 lbs from Trixie Mansions. I've had it almost 9 years and it has never tipped over. It's against a wall on one side. I do flinch a little when one leaps from the top to the floor and it wobbles, but still it's never tipped over. I got it to try to unite 2 OGs and a rescue cat, but usually only one would use it at a time. The rescue was the heaviest cat to use it at 14.25 lbs at his heaviest. I think maybe having the cubby at the bottom helps stabilize it. Other tips to stabilize it would be to widen or increase the base or put it in a corner.
20191228_170710[1].jpg

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
@Carter1992, here's an example of furniture anchors, but I'm sure you can find something at any hardware store.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LB6VG77/?tag=thecatsite

I have a few cat trees. None are achored. The tallest and oldest is 69" with a 24x24" round base and weighs 40 lbs from Trixie Mansions. I've had it almost 9 years and it has never tipped over. It's against a wall on one side. I do flinch a little when one leaps from the top to the floor and it wobbles, but still it's never tipped over. I got it to try to unite 2 OGs and a rescue cat, but usually only one would use it at a time. The rescue was the heaviest cat to use it at 14.25 lbs at his heaviest. I think maybe having the cubby at the bottom helps stabilize it. Other tips to stabilize it would be to widen or increase the base or put it in a corner.
View attachment 376337
Hello,

Okay thanks!

BucDan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you have the cash to burn, look at CatTreeKing. Extremely sturdy, well built, but very expensive. They usually do sales during the many holidays.

Maggiez

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one that's about the same height: FRISCO 72-in Faux Fur Cat Tree & Condo, Cream - Chewy.com
It comes with a wall anchor but I didn't use it. I have two kittens (8 lbs and 13 lbs) and they are wild! They chase around and jump up and down all the time. The tree shakes a bit when they have the zoomies but so far it holds together just fine.
They both LOVE it and one of them like to sleep on the highest spot (he can touch the ceiling and he uses the highest post to catch bugs lol). Currently I'm in a tiny studio rental and the cat tree is a life saver. It's an essential if you have a small space.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have 3 of the same type as Maggiez Maggiez mentioned, 5 cats at home with the biggest around 18lbs and he chases/gets chased on them with no issues.
This particular type comes with wall anchors, or you can place the cat tree in a corner for extra support.

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have one that was probably handmade. Purchased at a cat show nearly 30 years ago. It’s taller than me and I’m 5’7” and it isn’t going anywhere. I’d look for one of those. I saw something similar advertised on fb marketplace or Craigslist in the state of Arizona.

Attachments

T.O.

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have also peeked at nice ones on Etsy.

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is a Pussicat tree.
You can buy parts and repair or modiify.
I have repaired it twice and ready to go again.
SIgn of a well used cat tree is ripped sisal.
The smallest kitten/cat is a shredder, so tree has saved the furniture the 9 years she has been here.
Someone gave me this one used about 20 years ago.
You can see that they have an optional piece to tighten it to the ceiling.
Pussicat Cat Furniture, The Best Cat Condos and Scratchers, Made in USA | With over 50 years experience in building Modular Cat Furniture

Valentine_PussiKat_1200.jpg

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought one that is 6.5 feet tall from Petco and it came with a strap to anchor it to a wall. I initially didn't think I would need it but I anchored it anyway. Then Remy scaled the tree by jumping and clawing his way to the top from the rope covered poles and I was very glad I did anchor it.