Anyone tried Nutri Thrive supplement?

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just watched a video on Nutri Thrive cat supplement. It’s a vitamin filled powder to sprinkle over your cats food with all essential vitamins and probiotics. Has anyone purchased for their cat? It’s pricey so I’d like to see if anyone has actually gotten and used it and has seen good results. My 4 month old kitten has been vomiting lately and I’m wondering if it’s the science diet kibble. This powder is supposed to help with all cat ailments, including vomiting, to live a healthy life. Thanks for the feedback!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd be wary about supplements that claim to help cure / resolve any sort of ailment. It's like a band aid fix for something that may be more serious. Vomiting can be any number of things. The best thing to do first is to take the cat to the vet to rule out any underlying medical reason that is causing the vomiting. If the vet doesn't find anything, then take a look at the food and dish. Some cats eat too fast and vomit afterwards. A slow feeder or elevating the bowl may be helpful. Science Diet isn't a very good brand despite vet recommendations and all the marketing the company does. It's full of junk fillers. Do look into a different brand of food regardless if you want your kitten to grow up healthy :agree: Include canned food in the diet, too. A dry food only diet can result in health issues such as obesity and diabetes.

When is the kitten vomiting? Right after eating? A few hours after eating? What does the vomit look like? Undigested food? Does it include clumps of hair?

Back to the original question, I have not used this particular supplement but maybe others have.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just watched a video on Nutri Thrive cat supplement. It’s a vitamin filled powder to sprinkle over your cats food with all essential vitamins and probiotics. Has anyone purchased for their cat? It’s pricey so I’d like to see if anyone has actually gotten and used it and has seen good results. My 4 month old kitten has been vomiting lately and I’m wondering if it’s the science diet kibble. This powder is supposed to help with all cat ailments, including vomiting, to live a healthy life. Thanks for the feedback!
I had never heard of this, either, and it does not sound or even claim to provide all essential vitamins and/or probiotics. That site makes a lot of claims but, really, the only thing that will help with all cat ailments is feeding a species-appropriate diet (which means lots of meat-based protein, wet food) and good vet care.

Yes, certain supplements, like probiotics, can be great and vets often recommend them but just putting a supplement like this on food is not enough. As an example, not all cats can eat all foods - sometimes the "odors" mentioned on that site come from fillers in food, like potato, which shouldn't be in cat food to begin with and which makes one of our cats horribly gassy - so it is important to keep track of what your cat eats and what symptoms it might have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'd be wary about supplements that claim to help cure / resolve any sort of ailment. It's like a band aid fix for something that may be more serious. Vomiting can be any number of things. The best thing to do first is to take the cat to the vet to rule out any underlying medical reason that is causing the vomiting. If the vet doesn't find anything, then take a look at the food and dish. Some cats eat too fast and vomit afterwards. A slow feeder or elevating the bowl may be helpful. Science Diet isn't a very good brand despite vet recommendations and all the marketing the company does. It's full of junk fillers. Do look into a different brand of food regardless if you want your kitten to grow up healthy :agree: Include canned food in the diet, too. A dry food only diet can result in health issues such as obesity and diabetes.

When is the kitten vomiting? Right after eating? A few hours after eating? What does the vomit look like? Undigested food? Does it include clumps of hair?

Back to the original question, I have not used this particular supplement but maybe others have.

So, I actually think the product is legit from what I watched. Both of my kittens get wet food morning and night; I leave about 1 cup dry food out morning and night to graze. I’ve had a 16 yr old cat pass away from kidney disease and in the end she never ate dry food, wet only. I do know the importance of wet food and making sure the cats both get adequate amounts of water/moisture daily due to taking care of a senior cat for years with kidney disease. With that said, probiotics are extremely important, as well. Thank you for your input on Science Diet. My one kitten doesn’t vomit daily, and it seems to be the kibble undigested when he does. He is a Maine coon mix and very furry, sometimes there is a small hairball, in which I give him Greenies Hairball treats. Both kittens groom each other so I think there are a couple reasons of why the vomiting— hair (yes, we brush both cats, I can’t prevent them from grooming each other or themselves), eating too much too fast, and possibly the food itself. I have noticed the nights I don’t leave out dry food, no vomiting. I am trying to wean them off of the dry food and only a small amount during the day. They are ravenous when I get home from work so I try to give them a little more dry food until I can get their wet food prepared. Both my kittens had URIs when I got them and I was trying to make sure they put on weight and had healthy immune systems before taking food out of their diet. I will begin researching a new dry food to try. They have had Whole Hearted dry food and didn’t mind it, but seemed to like the science diet better. I am going to purchase the Nutri Thrive bc it doesn’t say its putting a “band aid” over any cat ailments, just giving the cat essential vitamins it needs that normal cat food lacks and could help prevent certain issues. My last cat got probiotic treats daily and they worked wonders. I was excited to see a supplement like this on the market, actually. We take supplements for ourselves, why not help our pets, as well?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding a cat food that says it's a complete meal and meets the minimum AAFCO recommendations then it should have all of the essential vitamins that cats need already. As for probiotics - human ones are cheaper and better quality.

Edit: Why is this thing so freakin' expensive? Jeez, what a scam.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you are feeding a cat food that says it's a complete meal and meets the minimum AAFCO recommendations then it should have all of the essential vitamins that cats need already. As for probiotics - human ones are cheaper and better quality.

Edit: Why is this thing so freakin' expensive? Jeez, what a scam.
I think bc it’s including all the vitamins/probiotics/enzymes the cat should have. If you took all those vitamins and enzymes and added them up monthly, it would be way more expensive. They condensed it into a powder. The reviews on the FB site seem to be positive. I mean, I can see how it’s a little pricey. I take supplements and they are not cheap. This is basically the same thing for your cat.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, let's break this down:

1579364878327.png

So this "super feline blend" is primarily omega 3 oils and collagen. These could certainly have benefits and are not included in all pet foods. But, you can buy fish oil capsules and collagen powder or gelatin powder to use - all of which would be human grade and better quality than anything pet grade.

There are only 4 strains of probiotics in this thing. Most human probioitics have much more than that.

The "superfood blend" looks like a marketing ploy to please humans but really has minimal benefit for cats. Being that cats are obligate carnivores, they cannot properly digest vegetables such as mushrooms or carrots.

The "vitamin and mineral blend" contains essential nutrients that should be in a complete cat food already. A cat food could not be marketed as meeting minimum AAFCO recommendations if it did not have all of these nutrients in it. Same with the taurine, arginine, and methionine.

I don't know much about calcium fructobonate.

So, based on my analysis, the useful components of this for anyone feeding commercial cat foods that are nutritionally complete are the fish oil, collagen, and probiotics. I don't think it's worth the price to buy this thing when you could purchase better quality human grade products instead.

By the way, I make my own homemade cat food and I use entirely human-grade supplements for all of the vitamins and minerals that I add to it, and I spend about $80 a year for those supplements (and this is for a complete cat food), not just random supplements added to commercial feed. So the fact that this thing is barely that useful and is not even human-grade but priced this high is a huge red flag for me. You have no idea where the ingredients are being sourced from. "Manufactured in the USA" is not the same as ingredients being sourced in the USA.

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, let's break this down:

View attachment 318196
So this "super feline blend" is primarily omega 3 oils and collagen. These could certainly have benefits and are not included in all pet foods. But, you can buy fish oil capsules and collagen powder or gelatin powder to use - all of which would be human grade and better quality than anything pet grade.

There are only 4 strains of probiotics in this thing. Most human probioitics have much more than that.

The "superfood blend" looks like a marketing ploy to please humans but really has minimal benefit for cats. Being that cats are obligate carnivores, they cannot properly digest vegetables such as mushrooms or carrots.

The "vitamin and mineral blend" contains essential nutrients that should be in a complete cat food already. A cat food could not be marketed as meeting minimum AAFCO recommendations if it did not have all of these nutrients in it. Same with the taurine, arginine, and methionine.

I don't know much about calcium fructobonate.

So, based on my analysis, the useful components of this for anyone feeding commercial cat foods that are nutritionally complete are the fish oil, collagen, and probiotics. I don't think it's worth the price to buy this thing when you could purchase better quality human grade products instead.

By the way, I make my own homemade cat food and I use entirely human-grade supplements for all of the vitamins and minerals that I add to it, and I spend about $80 a year for those supplements (and this is for a complete cat food), not just random supplements added to commercial feed. So the fact that this thing is barely that useful and is not even human-grade but priced this high is a huge red flag for me. You have no idea where the ingredients are being sourced from. "Manufactured in the USA" is not the same as ingredients being sourced in the USA.
Thanks for that breakdown. I didn’t think about the vegetables not really needing to be in the supplement bc cats don’t need them. What are the vitamins you include in your homemade food?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more with A Azazel 's comments. Nutri Thrive looks very, very expensive but with very little to offer that can't be found in other sources, sometimes including commercial foods! Some, for example, already contain fish oil, many have liver, a few have probiotics in limited quantities, and all AAFCO compliant foods must contain taurine and calcium. Our cats get all those things as ingredients in the various commercial foods we feed them. Their homemade foods contain even more.

It sounds like vomiting is one of your big concerns, Lotusflwr79 Lotusflwr79 , is that right? I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the vomiting stops after you've taken them off the Science Diet food. (You didn't say which one you're feeding but at least some of them have grains that, like the vegetables Azazel mentioned, aren't very digestible for cats.) Other ingredients, even things like potato, can cause vomiting so you may need to sort through ingredients.

Also. If hairballs are an issue, you might try adding some egg yolk into your cats' diet. This page can give you a sense of how much to use as well as lots of information about hairballs. (The Norsworthy study is really important, something our vet has mentioned!) Our cats get a little egg yolk in certain commercial foods, some from supplements I use to make their foods, and some from additional egg yolk (a little less than one yolk a week per cat) that I add to their food. I also add fish oil to some of their homemade food. I think the most effective way to handle ingredients like these is to study labels and ingredients of commercial foods and then add in certain other things -- like the eggs and fish oil -- to address or avoid problems like hairballs.

Good luck!

Lotusflwr79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I couldn't agree more with A Azazel 's comments. Nutri Thrive looks very, very expensive but with very little to offer that can't be found in other sources, sometimes including commercial foods! Some, for example, already contain fish oil, many have liver, a few have probiotics in limited quantities, and all AAFCO compliant foods must contain taurine and calcium. Our cats get all those things as ingredients in the various commercial foods we feed them. Their homemade foods contain even more.

It sounds like vomiting is one of your big concerns, Lotusflwr79 Lotusflwr79 , is that right? I wouldn't be surprised if you find that the vomiting stops after you've taken them off the Science Diet food. (You didn't say which one you're feeding but at least some of them have grains that, like the vegetables Azazel mentioned, aren't very digestible for cats.) Other ingredients, even things like potato, can cause vomiting so you may need to sort through ingredients.

Also. If hairballs are an issue, you might try adding some egg yolk into your cats' diet. This page can give you a sense of how much to use as well as lots of information about hairballs. (The Norsworthy study is really important, something our vet has mentioned!) Our cats get a little egg yolk in certain commercial foods, some from supplements I use to make their foods, and some from additional egg yolk (a little less than one yolk a week per cat) that I add to their food. I also add fish oil to some of their homemade food. I think the most effective way to handle ingredients like these is to study labels and ingredients of commercial foods and then add in certain other things -- like the eggs and fish oil -- to address or avoid problems like hairballs.

Good luck!
Thanks! I will be taking them off the science diet. I just read the homemade food thread and I’m really intrigued by it! It’s the kitten science diet that they’re getting, btw.

marz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, I actually think the product is legit from what I watched. Both of my kittens get wet food morning and night; I leave about 1 cup dry food out morning and night to graze. I’ve had a 16 yr old cat pass away from kidney disease and in the end she never ate dry food, wet only. I do know the importance of wet food and making sure the cats both get adequate amounts of water/moisture daily due to taking care of a senior cat for years with kidney disease. With that said, probiotics are extremely important, as well. Thank you for your input on Science Diet. My one kitten doesn’t vomit daily, and it seems to be the kibble undigested when he does. He is a Maine coon mix and very furry, sometimes there is a small hairball, in which I give him Greenies Hairball treats. Both kittens groom each other so I think there are a couple reasons of why the vomiting— hair (yes, we brush both cats, I can’t prevent them from grooming each other or themselves), eating too much too fast, and possibly the food itself. I have noticed the nights I don’t leave out dry food, no vomiting. I am trying to wean them off of the dry food and only a small amount during the day. They are ravenous when I get home from work so I try to give them a little more dry food until I can get their wet food prepared. Both my kittens had URIs when I got them and I was trying to make sure they put on weight and had healthy immune systems before taking food out of their diet. I will begin researching a new dry food to try. They have had Whole Hearted dry food and didn’t mind it, but seemed to like the science diet better. I am going to purchase the Nutri Thrive bc it doesn’t say its putting a “band aid” over any cat ailments, just giving the cat essential vitamins it needs that normal cat food lacks and could help prevent certain issues. My last cat got probiotic treats daily and they worked wonders. I was excited to see a supplement like this on the market, actually. We take supplements for ourselves, why not help our pets, as well?
Hello! Did you try the Nutra Thrive? If so what do you think of it?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Human suppliments are already not tested well. I'm sure cat ones less so.

Plus, you can overdose on some healthy vitamins as well. as such, suppliments should always be discussed with your vet.

Science Diet may just be a poor fit for her. Has she had any other foods?

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just had an emergency with Nutra Thrive by Ultimate Pet Nutrition. We are on the way to the emergency vet. My cat ate it and was unresponsive on the floor afterward, Still breathing but not sure if he will make it.
OMG!! Is kitty OK????

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just had an emergency with Nutra Thrive by Ultimate Pet Nutrition. We are on the way to the emergency vet. My cat ate it and was unresponsive on the floor afterward, Still breathing but not sure if he will make it.
Omgoodnesss this is horrible!!!!! Is your baby ok???