Anyone Own An Instant Pot?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I've used my instant pot twice and I am still trying to figure it out.

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I've used my instant pot twice and I am still trying to figure it out.
Are you using it more now? I saw a segment on a cooking show this morning about Instant Pots and was intrigued.

Has anyone tried making yogurt in one?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Are you using it more now? I saw a segment on a cooking show this morning about Instant Pots and was intrigued.

Has anyone tried making yogurt in one?

Still getting used to it. I've made a few good soups, a beef roast that came out very tender, pulled pork, chicken for tacos and hard boiled eggs come out great in it. I made a recipe that is supposed to taste like the inside of an egg roll and we both really enjoyed that. I have a FB friend that is vegan and she loves hers. I joined a few IP facebook groups and lots of people make the yogurt often and really enjoy it. I made a spaghetti squash and that was also very easy.

My guess is there will be a few big sales on them for Black Friday.

ETA - if you buy one, make sure you get one with the yogurt option. Not all of them have it.

Last edited:

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I got one. First thing I want to try is yogurt. I will report back. :)

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Well, I got one. First thing I want to try is yogurt. I will report back. :)

Oh fun! Please do! Which one did you get?

Check out the website and FB page "This Old Gal", She seems to have nailed how to make yogurt.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Following!
I just posted another thread about this because I was too lazy to search out for one.
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds there. I just bought the 8 quart and I'm completely intimated by the thing

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Following!
I just posted another thread about this because I was too lazy to search out for one.
Thanks in advance to anyone who responds there. I just bought the 8 quart and I'm completely intimated by the thing
I know, I've been kind of afraid to try mine, too. :lol: :paperbag: I decided to try something easy first--I'm making a pot of black beans today. If I don't blow myself up, I'll report back. :D

Oh fun! Please do! Which one did you get?

Check out the website and FB page "This Old Gal", She seems to have nailed how to make yogurt.
Thanks for that--I'll check it out.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Still getting used to it. I've made a few good soups, a beef roast that came out very tender, pulled pork, chicken for tacos and hard boiled eggs come out great in it. I made a recipe that is supposed to taste like the inside of an egg roll and we both really enjoyed that. I have a FB friend that is vegan and she loves hers. I joined a few IP facebook groups and lots of people make the yogurt often and really enjoy it. I made a spaghetti squash and that was also very easy.

My guess is there will be a few big sales on them for Black Friday.

ETA - if you buy one, make sure you get one with the yogurt option. Not all of them have it.
Would you send me links to the FB groups? I should probably join a few!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Would you send me links to the FB groups? I should probably join a few!
Check your FB notifications. I added you to a few groups and sent you invites to others.

betsygee betsygee If you are going to be making both sweet and savory items, you may want to buy another sealing ring. They are reasonable on Amazon. The ring can retain the smells of savory items and could potentially "leech" the flavors into your sweet items. I have an extra ring, but haven't used it yet. I've only made savory items, but some of the cheesecakes look outrageous, so I am attempt that at some point.

Try the water test before you do anything. It helps you get used to the basic functions.

Hard boiled eggs are super easy and a good first thing to try. They are so easy to peel.

Quick release is scary at first. Use a towel the first few times you do it.

I'll type more later, but I've been out all morning and need to get some things done around the house.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
Check your FB notifications. I added you to a few groups and sent you invites to others.

betsygee betsygee If you are going to be making both sweet and savory items, you may want to buy another sealing ring. They are reasonable on Amazon. The ring can retain the smells of savory items and could potentially "leech" the flavors into your sweet items. I have an extra ring, but haven't used it yet. I've only made savory items, but some of the cheesecakes look outrageous, so I am attempt that at some point.

Try the water test before you do anything. It helps you get used to the basic functions.

Hard boiled eggs are super easy and a good first thing to try. They are so easy to peel.

Quick release is scary at first. Use a towel the first few times you do it.

I'll type more later, but I've been out all morning and need to get some things done around the house.
Great tips! :thanks:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I didn't have my pressure cooker and the air fryer, I'd buy one. I've heard a lot of excellent reviews on other boards about the Instant Pot and people seem to love the thing. I'm really glad you like it, too. Please continue to discuss what you've made and how things turn out; I'm very interested. From what I've read, this is a good small appliance.
I have a pressure cooker too. I love to cook with it. Don't know if I would use the instant pot or not.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
How did they come out?
Not bad but a little mushy. I think I should have vented it rather than let it depressurize slowly on its own. Sure was nice to have them done in 40 minutes vs. 3 hours on the stove!

It will take some practice.

ETA: I'm going to try a spaghetti squash today. :)

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I saw these in Wal Mart yesterday for the first time. I still don't think I would need it because I use the pressure cooker on the stove. There are so many new things to use to cook in, air pots digitalized pressure cookers, all kinds of stuff. I am from the old school and just too used to how I cook to change. "If it aint' broke, don't fix it." I know, I am set in my ways. I could be wrong and might really like some of the newbies, just got to get to that stage.

betsygee

Staff Member
Purraise
I used a pressure cooker years ago for canning, but it always made me a little nervous. I haven't done any canning in many years, and there's a learning curve (for me anyway) getting used to the Instant Pot.

I made the spaghetti squash and it turned out fine. The next day, though, I poured a cup of water in it, not noticing that the cooking liner wasn't in place. :gaah: I found instructions that said to take off the bottom and dry the wires out with a hair dryer. I've done that but haven't plugged it back in to find out if it still works or if I've fried my new gadget. :paperbag:

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I used a pressure cooker years ago for canning, but it always made me a little nervous. I haven't done any canning in many years, and there's a learning curve (for me anyway) getting used to the Instant Pot.

I made the spaghetti squash and it turned out fine. The next day, though, I poured a cup of water in it, not noticing that the cooking liner wasn't in place. :gaah: I found instructions that said to take off the bottom and dry the wires out with a hair dryer. I've done that but haven't plugged it back in to find out if it still works or if I've fried my new gadget. :paperbag:

OH NO!!!! I hope its OK!!!