Anyone not use a litterbox at all?

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone,

I was wanting to know if there are people out there that don't use litterboxes in their home? I have 3 cats who all go outside to do their business. Luckily for me, all 3 of them are meticulous when it comes to their bathroom habits and have never had an accident in the house. Even my youngest kitten Malibu who is 9 months old has been toileting outside since she was 12 weeks old. I had 3 litterboxes which I cleaned and put away in storage because the last time a litterbox was used was when Malibu was 8-12 weeks and there have been no accidents at all from either cat.

Having said all that, should I still keep a litterbox around even if it literally never gets used just in case?

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do think at the very least a disposable one in case any of your cats get sick or if you have to confine them to recover from a health procedure.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know plenty of cat-owners here in Germany and in England who have never had a litter box for their cats. When I was growing up in London, no-one had one, but that was a long time ago. I can remember that neighbours had a sand tray (literally a tray with sand or earth from the garden) for the kittens when their cat had babies.
If you have a cat-flap it is probably no big deal. Although the first cats I had were outdoor cats, I always had a litter box at the bottom of the stairs. I didn't need to clean it from one month till the next, but the cats knew it was there, and used it, particularly in winter. It was also a big help when they were old and sick. I found it impossible to get one of my cats to use the litter box, placed conveniently next to my bed, when she was seriously ill. She insisted on trying to get to the box at the bottom of the stairs! No doubt, you will have to let your cats out.

So, if the weather is moderate throughout the year, then it is entirely up to you!

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s always a good idea to have equipment available just in case. It’s great to have needed items in case of travel, illness resulting in isolating a kitty in a room or when cats change behavior. As they age, later on you may want a box. I have a good many supplies that we may not use but it’s nice to have them if something comes up unexpectedly.
We didn’t have litterboxes during my childhood because it was acceptable them to have cats go in and out at will. With leash laws and new restrictions on cats being free roaming, you may be glad you have them in storage. Cats can also learn to use a toilet. I’ve had some that did. Lol

vyger

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The cat we had many years ago was house broken. It was his own choice. He would stand by the door when he needed to go out and then be ready to come back in a little while later. It was only when he got pretty old that he had a problem. He had some accidents. But until then he was perfect.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Paris Pluto

Cat Daddy
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s always a good idea to have equipment available just in case. It’s great to have needed items in case of travel, illness resulting in isolating a kitty in a room or when cats change behavior. As they age, later on you may want a box. I have a good many supplies that we may not use but it’s nice to have them if something comes up unexpectedly.
We didn’t have litterboxes during my childhood because it was acceptable them to have cats go in and out at will. With leash laws and new restrictions on cats being free roaming, you may be glad you have them in storage. Cats can also learn to use a toilet. I’ve had some that did. Lol
How did you teach them to go on the toilet? That would be a sight to see haha!