Anyone make food for a LOT of kitties?

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have over 20 rescues in varying states from feral-but-lets-me-pet-them to adoring-housecat. When I just had a few, in the beginning (before people started dumping cats by my house) I used to make their food. At first cooked, then raw. They were super healthy and happy!!! And then the numbers started increasing. I'd find a home for one, and another 5 would show up! Long story short, I ended up buying big bags of cheap food meant for multiple cat households... and their health declined.. and the boys started getting blockages and the girls were getting UTIs and I said - good gosh I'm spending more on vet bills than I'd spend if I fed them the expensive foods! So I started buying them better food... (no meat meal or byproducts etc) and then switched to grain free bc one of the girls threw up anything with corn in it... and then while at the vet with my only sick kitty in 2 years, I found out about the grain-free-legume/potato/etc stuff, and started looking at cat food ingredients even more closely, and realized there are only a few brands all VERY expensive with basically just meat and vitamins, and if I'm going to feed them just meat and vitamins, I can do it myself for much cheaper without gums and preservatives and meat coming from who-knows-where. So I got a chest freezer, and I'm making plans.:rolleyes2: I have a bag of allnutrin (sp?) all ready to go, and scale for measuring servings, but I'm wondering - am I insane to try to make food for such a large group of cats? I think I can do it, I've sourced and priced different meats, etc and I'm ready to start... But maybe there's something I haven't considered when it comes to feeding such a large group. And I thought I'd ask, in case there's anyone else here making food for a colony.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s totally doable, if a huge task. Good on you for even considering attempting it! Altrunin is the best alternative to introduce completers to cats with, generally, as it has the least taste (and imo, the ability to add and rotate liver and potentially bone sources is beneficial) but it may be worth looking into completer alternatives like EZcomplete, as you’d only have to supplement muscle meat.
It’s generally a great idea to rotate supplements, but may not be super viable for you, given the number of cats you’re caring for.
As a final thought, if you’re willing to put the time and research in, buying bulk supplements and making your own premix may be a good, more budget friendly alternative to using premade completers.
Your kitties are lucky to have you!

ETA: the only things that might be issues that come to mind

—kittens and young cats really need raw with bone /bone meal in as they need it for growth and development. Seniors, on the other hand, as well as any cats with CKD would strongly benefit from eggshell as a calcium source, due to lower phos.

— if your completer doesn’t contain an omega3 source, supplementing it may be a pain, as fish oil needs to be added before feeding. Perhaps freeze dried GLM could be an alternative

— Allergies and intolerances may be harder to make allowances for if you’re going homemade over premade

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mine are all 5yrs and up - I've moved and none of the kitty dumpers know where I live yet, haha, so my rescues are all older kitties now. Eldest is about 12 I guesstimate. I have chickens too so I can supplement with eggshell easily. Of course some of the kitties take care of that themselves, lol. (I have a few who have learned what the chickens' egg song means, and race my kid to the coop when they hear it, to try and snag a warm fresh egg!!)
I don't know if the alnutrin has omega3 in there - if it doesn't I can add fish oil to the food when I mix it all in - how much do they need? Is there anything else I need to add to the alnutrin premex? Ingredients are: "Egg yolk powder, taurine, iodized salt, vitamin E, iron amino acid chelate, copper citrate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc oxide, vitamin D3, vitamin B12, vitamin B1."
I thought having the premix meant it had everything but meat and bones and liver!
I have thought of doing my own premix and will think seriously of it once I get the basic routine handled and I have a freezer full of prepared meals, loL!!! The only one who has an intolerance I know for sure is the one kitty who throws up on corn. The other kitty I'm dealing with right now with maybe IBD will likely be fed separately anyway unless she just magically gets better. (lol) Some of the kitties I feed separately because they're vacuum cleaners (hoggies who suck up all their food and everyone else's too) or else they're VERY SLOW eaters and then the pushier kitties come and take away half their food. Mealtime is a real production around here, lol!!!
My kitties are awesome, and I feel lucky to have them! Even the egg-stealers, lol! I'm a veteran with PTSD and their purrs and cuddles really just make the world a better place. I hate when any of them are ill, and since I already control their environment, the only thing left to make them healthier and happier and live longer, is their diet. :) Thanks so much for taking the time to respond!! I appreciate your comments!

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry for any confusion on completers! A completer will have all you need, Altrunin included, but most won’t have an omega 3 source. You do get omega 3 in many types of meat, but generally, the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio isn’t ideal. While omega 3 isn’t considered an essential nutrient, it’s very beneficial for things like coat condition and joint support, which is especially relevant for older kitties. If you’re not feeding something that has omega 3 in (other than muscle meat), the recommended dosage for a cat is around 30mg/kg/day of EPA+DHA. You can give this once or twice a week in a larger amount, instead of daily. Not all kitties will eat food wish fish oil added, though, so it may be something to trial in some way before fully committing to avoid wasting food. My pickier cat will tolerate half a krill oil capsule if I make his meal enticing enough, for example, but never sardine oil or the oil in the capsules I take.
Other than fish oil, which is somewhat optional, you don’t really need anything other than the relevant cuts of meat, bone, and liver and Alnutrin.
As you have seniors, you may want to buy eggshell Alnutrin in the future,. Alnutrin with EggShell Calcium (Regular) you can add your own bones/substitute for eggshell calcium on your own, though, if that’s your preference! Would allow you to give whole meaty bone to your younger cats, if that’s the way you want to go, as well 🙂 it may be a bit complicated to calculate how much eggshell you need, though, and it needs to be ground extra fine for optimal absorption.

Last edited:

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That's great info, thank you! I wonder if I could just mix a can of grocery store mackerel or sardines or something in? I only have one picky kitty currently, all of these kids have been emaciated/starving at some point in their lives, so they'll pretty much eat anything. :flail: I give my one stiff-moving kitty who is about 10 a joint supplement - but I think his biggest issue is getting into the chicken feed. I was telling him yesterday - I work so hard to make sure he has a healthy diet, and then he goes off and eats chicken feed! Silly cat. He's one who can't forget being starving and will eat anything. (I am putting up a yard to keep the chickens in during the winter, not sure what I'll do when spring comes around and the chickens want to range again! Maybe a hanging feeder. But I digress, lol!!)
Thanks very much for this!!!! I think I'll be able to make great progress this week on filling up my freezer with pre-made meals. My cats are going to freak out when I put this out for them, haha.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Canned sardines in water without salt are a great option 🙂 my girl adores them, the boy not so much lol. Mackerel could be a good option as well, but I’ve not done much research into it, myself.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awesome. :) Thank you! The mackerel comes in big cans and is cheap, lol, which is why I ask. I buy it for myself to make tuna salad or salmon cakes - it tastes the same to me, but so much cheaper.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Done a bit of reading, and mackerel may not be the best option (dep new in the type, as a lot of fish fall under the mackerel umbrella), but are perfectly okay in rotation. Mackerel is a predator fish, meaning mercury is a larger concern than it is with sardines — depends on the species; some mackerels eat krill. This may be a helpful reference

1641140472071.png

I’d add fish once, maybe twice, a week.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That is a super graphic! Thank you!

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Canned sardines in water without salt are a great option
My ginger boy goes nuts over tinned sardines in tomato sauce, he licks all the sauce off first before getting stuck into the fish. And both of my cats lick the plate clean when they get tinned tuna in spring water. :yummy:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
My ginger boy goes nuts over tinned sardines in tomato sauce, he licks all the sauce off first before getting stuck into the fish. And both of my cats lick the plate clean when they get tinned tuna in spring water. :yummy:
Personally, would suggest washing the sauce off prior to serving. Tomatoes are toxic to cats, and tomato sauce is often high in sodium. Would recommend reserving tuna for when they’re inappetant, so it’s special. It’s nutritionally poor, and high in mercury, sadly

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh no worries, these are both extremely rare treats for them. Like once a year for the sardines and about 1 tin between them every 3 or 4 months or so.

Mailmans_Mom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First, *hugs* for trying to manage such a large family. They are lucky to have you. Also, you have to be kind to yourself. You cannot micromanage every aspect of your cats' health. If you can only feed homecooked for some meals, that's ok. If you don't have the time or energy, that's ok too. You have to take care of yourself first.

I make 7 pound batches. I've tried making larger batches, but the issue I run into is mixing the supplements. I did not feel confident I was getting a good mixture when I tried to make larger batches. I've thought about measuring out the mix and adding it separately, but that just makes feeding more work for me. You've also got to consider how large your bowls are. How much will fit when you need to stir it?