Anyone Know What Causes This?

14emilycraft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted my Sophie a few months ago. She had suffered a trauma before arriving at the shelter but seemed to be in good health since besides her having this. The vet at the shelter suggested she had nerve damage to her tail however my vet doesn’t seem to think that’s the problem Sophie will often attack her own tail and back limbs and recently started scratching at her face with her back claws before attacking them. Tried to upload a video but it says the file is too large.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1 14emilycraft - I'm sorry your kitty is going through this. Do you have specifics on the trauma she suffered before arriving at the shelter?? What are the reasons your current vet has for not thinking it could be nerve and/or tail (spine?) damage, as the shelter vet surmised?

One thing you could definitely have done is to get a thorough set of xrays taken of your kitty's tail/ spine/ neck/ and legs. A professional radiologist is best to read these xrays, in consult with your current vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

14emilycraft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When the shelter found her she had chemical burns to 60% of her body and almost no hair. He skin has healed wonderfully and all her hair has grown back except for in one little spot . My current vet did a full work up and doesn’t suspect nerve damage cause she gets around easily and moves her tail around without pain. Is not irritated by her tail being touched. It’s almost like it just flares up nothing I can tell that initiates it and it used to just be her tail she’d attack now she has started with the back limbs too.

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
hmmm..interesting. from a behavioral stand point I don't know what to say.
Is she hurting herself?
Does she act like she is in pain?
Give her space and opportunity to spaz out, and try to provide comfort for her during this time.
I wish I could see a video..

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When the shelter found her she had chemical burns to 60% of her body and almost no hair. He skin has healed wonderfully and all her hair has grown back except for in one little spot . My current vet did a full work up and doesn’t suspect nerve damage cause she gets around easily and moves her tail around without pain. Is not irritated by her tail being touched. It’s almost like it just flares up nothing I can tell that initiates it and it used to just be her tail she’d attack now she has started with the back limbs too.
Oh my, poor Sophie! :alright: :grouphug:
Do you think there is any possibility of mites or fleas?

14emilycraft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I check her regularly for fleas and keep her on flea prevention

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I wonder if this could be psychological . Sounds like anxiety disorder . Perhaps kitty calm chews and/or Zoloft may help ?
Very sad story . Glad you now have this special kitty :catrub:

14emilycraft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have also thought it could be psychological. Almost like limb dissociation but for cats. I will have to ask the vet about this at her next check up

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered Feline Hyperesthesia? The poor thing had a rough start in life and they do link Hyperesthesia with stress and anxiety...

14emilycraft

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’ve never heard of this before but just did some reading on it and sounds a lot like what is happening to her.