Anyone Know How Much Prednisone Costs (estimate)?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Prednisone is very, very cheap.

Retail pharmacies don't charge more for "pet" medications. A medication is a medication. Just make sure they do accept and fill pet prescriptions. Also ask nicely if they have a discount card that works for pet patients (Just Rx for Pets is what we use in the chain I work for, just as an example)

Also prednisone and prednisolone aren't the same thing, so make sure you get it strait before calling a pharmacy to ask for a cash price on it.

:)
I know that Walmart here fills out pet prescriptions so I'm hoping it's cheaper there. I'll know for sure next week but I'm pretty sure he said prednisone

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up. Costco has the cheapest dispensary fees and you don't need a Costco Card to use their Pharmacy. That's where I went to get all my prescriptions filled for my cats, and I don't have a card. I have also never had an issue going to any pharmacy to get my cats' prescriptions filled, most medications are human meds anyway, just invest in a pill cutter so when you divide the pill for proper dosages they are evenly cut.

• Purraise
Reactions: Bel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a heads up. Costco has the cheapest dispensary fees and you don't need a Costco Card to use their Pharmacy. That's where I went to get all my prescriptions filled for my cats, and I don't have a card. I have also never had an issue going to any pharmacy to get my cats' prescriptions filled, most medications are human meds anyway, just invest in a pill cutter so when you divide the pill for proper dosages they are evenly cut.
You know what I didn't even think of that and I do get my non covered meds from them I'll give them a call today and see if they offer that here!

Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s prednisolone that is typically prescribed for cat IBD, and I buy it for 17 cents per tablet (5 mg) on chewy.com. It’s incredibly cheap.

• Purraise

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
wow, 17 cents?

i pay about $55 plus tax to have the pred either compounded in chicken juice (HK still didn't like it) or compounded into a transdermal so we can rub it into the inside of his ear flap. since he hates it above all things, i guess we'll keep doing the transdermal. for us, that translates into $1 a dose at twice a day.

• Purraise

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You want to get Prednisolone instead of Prednisone. The liver actually converts Prednisone into the body equivalent of Prenisolone. My IBD kitty was on it for a number of years. I just got it from the vet so I was paying a premium price and it was still cheap. I was giving 5 mg a day and it was at most 20 a month.

• Purraise

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You want to get Prednisolone instead of Prednisone.
Yes, prednisOLONE for IBD treatment, not prednisone. This web site explains the difference between the two: Introduction to Steroids – IBDKitties

When your vet prescribes the steroid, make sure to ask if it is for prednisolone. Sometimes vets can make mistakes or get confused between the two.

• Purraise

GaryT

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If you do end up using this steroid, keep a close watch on the cat. My Oliver became diabetic from Prednisone. Insulin is NO fun at all and I almost killed him with insulin shock twice! I had stopped the prednisone and he started to revert back to normal. Some cats do my vet said. I steer clear of this stuff now. Also, my neighbor's wife is diabetic from that stuff too.

It is cheep and it does work in many cases. But, be careful. They will drink excess water if they become diabetic (one of the signs).

Just my experience. YMMV

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Long term steroid use can cause diabetes in some cats. Insulin may be needed for the duration of the steroid use and close monitoring of blood glucose levels is ideal. Stopping the steroids reverses the diabetes and insulin will no longer be needed. Short term steroid use can cause diabetic-like symptoms (increased thirst and urination and hunger).

My IBD cat showed diabetic-like symptoms for awhile on a high dose of pred. I just kept a close eye on his blood glucose levels and kept the vet up to date. I previously had a diabetic cat so I knew the symptoms and how to test blood glucose levels. Once the vet decreased the pred dose, the diabetic-like symptoms went away. I still kept tabs on blood glucose levels for a bit longer and levels were in the normal range.

Every cat is different so it's best to call the vet and ask if you notice unusual symptoms or behavior with your cat while on pred treatment :agree:

Count

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It cost me 1$ for pills that will be enough for six months. I am surprised at how expensive it is in the US. I ended up not using them for too long because I changed vets, and the new vet talked about all the side effects of prednisolone, I'm glad I didn't use it that much. Something too keep in mind.