Anyone Know How Much Prednisone Costs (estimate)?

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is going to be tested for a blood test later this week to determine if he has IBD but given his symptoms I'm pretty sure that, that's what he has. He's allergic to literally everything I've tried at this point and we are running out of options. If he does test positively for IBD (which I am pretty sure he will) it means that he will need to maybe receive steroid shots, or pills. I am just wondering how much this will cost. I will still pay for it and everything I'm just trying to figure out a rough guesstimate of what range we'll be looking at here. This site always so helpful so I thought to ask here and see if anyone has any ideas on this. Thanks a million!
-Bel

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Although this thread doesn't address cost (I don't think) I thought if you weren't familiar with it there might be some other good info.
Hopefully someone with actual experience will weigh in for you regarding cost :)

Ibd / Digestive Issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Pred is cheap. The exact price depends on your pharmacy but generic pred is one of the cheapest drugs available so it shouldn't cost much. Liquid might cost more than pills.
I know that the walmart here does vet prescriptions so that is super helpful thank you so much!

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hubby is routinely on Prednisone for asthma. It's super cheap.
Thanks so much for the info this while saga has been going on for 3 years and my cats food costs at least $300 per month then with the diagnosis it's been a lot too. I just wanted to know what we were getting into

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know that the walmart here does vet prescriptions so that is super helpful thank you so much!
Many drugs, like prednisone, are the same for humans and animals (in different dosages of course). Don't let them overcharge you for "pet" medication! Ask about all their options.

• Purraise
Reactions: Bel

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When hubby takes the long dose, it was for 21 days and cost $10. That was out of pocket, not with insurance.

• Purraise

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cheap! In Canada, I think I pay less than $30 for a prescription that lasts my cat about 3 months.

• Purraise

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I paid about ten dollars a month for my Burt's prescription. After a while I went from twice a day to once and he did fine, after asking my vet. I always hid it in a piece of bacon which I pasted the pill to with a piece of Pill Pocket. He ate it for 5 years that way!

• Purraise

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cheap! In Canada, I think I pay less than $30 for a prescription that lasts my cat about 3 months.
This is such good news because I live in Canada and sometimes the USD to CAD includes shipping and other nonsense so I'm so glad

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I paid about ten dollars a month for my Burt's prescription. After a while I went from twice a day to once and he did fine, after asking my vet. I always hid it in a piece of bacon which I pasted the pill to with a piece of Pill Pocket. He ate it for 5 years that way!
That's promising one of my guys is so fussy so I'm glad that I'll be able to maybe hide it in food or treats

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always used Prednisolone for cats and it was super cheap!

• Purraise

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just paid $70 for 100 pills (1 pill/day) for my golden retriever. Obviously larger than a cat!
That's more within the realm that I was thinking but it's still better than what I thought!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
$125.25 for 75 pills of prednisolone 4 mg.

If you compound the pills, it may cost more. You can call around to local compounding pharmacies and also Wedgewood Pharmacy to get an idea of costs for what you might want the pred or other medicine compounded into.

Bel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:)
$125.25 for 75 pills of prednisolone 4 mg.

If you compound the pills, it may cost more. You can call around to local compounding pharmacies and also Wedgewood Pharmacy to get an idea of costs for what you might want the pred or other medicine compounded into.
Fair enough I was thinking it could be around this much this is also good to know so thank you very much for posting this ,

m3rma1d

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie
Super Cat
Purraise
Prednisone is very, very cheap.

Retail pharmacies don't charge more for "pet" medications. A medication is a medication. Just make sure they do accept and fill pet prescriptions. Also ask nicely if they have a discount card that works for pet patients (Just Rx for Pets is what we use in the chain I work for, just as an example)

Also prednisone and prednisolone aren't the same thing, so make sure you get it strait before calling a pharmacy to ask for a cash price on it.

:)

• Purraise