Anyone Know A Simple Prey-model Dish I Could Try Out For My Cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
In 2008, I was in a raw meat buying co-op. Lots of people said if you are cutting chunks of meat, not grinding it, then you don't need to supplement. That never made sense to me that there would be that much nutrient loss just from the method of preparation.

I add the supplements. Most of them are water soluble, so what the cat doesn't need gets excreted. Maybe I don't need them, because I cube all their meats, but I look at it as insurance. I calculated the costs of supplements at 7 cents per cat per day. To me that's cheap insurance against any nutrients which might be lost in processing and freeze/thaw cycles.
Yeah I don't know, they made an argument that some supplements give your cats too much calcium I believe.

I don't know I was just partially banned from there for asking. Oh well I guess I'm pretty annoying, don't know how you guys tolerate me with all these questions.

Thanks for the response orange&white.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah I don't know, they made an argument that some supplements give your cats too much calcium I believe.

I don't know I was just partially banned from there for asking. Oh well I guess I'm pretty annoying, don't know how you guys tolerate me with all these questions.

Thanks for the response orange&white.
I remember a Yahoo raw feeding forum years ago where the people who ran the board were really extreme in "how to feed raw". I think they were whole prey purists with no supplements and would block anyone who suggested any other method. :rolleyes3:

There's more than one way to feed a cat a healthy raw diet. At some point with enough research and asking questions, we each get comfortable with what works for us and our cats.

We all had lots of questions starting out. A raw diet is intimidating until you hit your own comfort level of knowledge and get yourself a good routine working.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I remember a Yahoo raw feeding forum years ago where the people who ran the board were really extreme in "how to feed raw". I think they were whole prey purists with no supplements and would block anyone who suggested any other method. :rolleyes3:

There's more than one way to feed a cat a healthy raw diet. At some point with enough research and asking questions, we each get comfortable with what works for us and our cats.

We all had lots of questions starting out. A raw diet is intimidating until you hit your own comfort level of knowledge and get yourself a good routine working.
Yeah to be fair I probably was being a bit too annoying with all the questions. And yeah raw feeding is a controversial enough subject. Although I do just want what's best for my two cats given how hard of a start they already have had.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
On the other end of the extreme... I was once banned from a veterinary subreddit for mentioning a raw diet as a feasible option.
The other end of the extreme would be a vegan cat group...

Amazing the confrontations that would happen for a cat.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Going to make my first batch of raw chunks without any non-natural supplements. It seems to follow the excel calculator fine. Just want to be sure before I make it. Didn't use bones for this batch since the kittens are young(will have time to learn bones later) and I want them to be fully comfortable with chunks before they go to bones.

Not sure why I couldn't change in excel, but all the beef is pork, and the chicken gizzards are actually duck gizzards.

Any thoughts?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mcyN659txucXvnyU8

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not used to using eggshell instead of bone, but it looks like there may be a little too much liver in your mix if you're shooting for 5% liver.

You have 13.25 lbs of mix planned. 5% liver would be about 10.5 ounces.

Not sure about adjusting for the 10% weight in bone instead of eggshell, but if you were adding bone then you'd have 14.75 lbs of mix (13.25/.9). The liver in that weight of mix would be 11.75 ounces.

I think 1 pound of liver is a little too much. Splitting the difference between the "with bone" versus "with eggshell", I'd be inclined to use 11 ounces each of liver and kidney.

Also you've got the eggshell by weight, and I'm unsure how that translates to volume. I'm guessing you got that equation from a reliable source. The common suggestion is 1/2 tsp of eggshell powder per pound of mix.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not used to using eggshell instead of bone, but it looks like there may be a little too much liver in your mix if you're shooting for 5% liver.

You have 13.25 lbs of mix planned. 5% liver would be about 10.5 ounces.

Not sure about adjusting for the 10% weight in bone instead of eggshell, but if you were adding bone then you'd have 14.75 lbs of mix (13.25/.9). The liver in that weight of mix would be 11.75 ounces.

I think 1 pound of liver is a little too much. Splitting the difference between the "with bone" versus "with eggshell", I'd be inclined to use 11 ounces each of liver and kidney.

Also you've got the eggshell by weight, and I'm unsure how that translates to volume. I'm guessing you got that equation from a reliable source. The common suggestion is 1/2 tsp of eggshell powder per pound of mix.
Should I be shooting for 5% liver? I thought the rule was at least 5% liver of the 10% organs of the total?

Will take a look at the bone.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always used the 80/10/5/5 formula (80% boneless, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ).

There may be (and probably are) sources of information on the internet which suggest different ratios.

You have to use your best judgment and go with information you feel is most reliable. I know you're researching, so you're miles ahead of lots of folks.

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've always used the 80/10/5/5 formula (80% boneless, 10% bone, 5% liver, 5% other secreting organ).

There may be (and probably are) sources of information on the internet which suggest different ratios.

You have to use your best judgment and go with information you feel is most reliable. I know you're researching, so you're miles ahead of lots of folks.
This batch will be my kitten's side meal. They'll still be eating 66% of their meals with the minced one I sent you the past, so I think it'll be fine if this is a bit more liver rich? Plus I think the last few meals were 10% liver?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Two kittens took to it well with the chunks. Even ate the chewy duck gizzard.

Attachments

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yummy...looks like stew for kitties! I think your cat is wondering if he can go swimming in it. :p

You should post that photo under the "I Has and Expresshun" thread in the photo forums: Your cat's asking, "How am I ever supposed to eat all this????"

I Has An Expresshun!

Great photo...thanks for sharing!

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yummy...looks like stew for kitties! I think your cat is wondering if he can go swimming in it. :p

You should post that photo under the "I Has and Expresshun" thread in the photo forums: Your cat's asking, "How am I ever supposed to eat all this????"

I Has An Expresshun!

Great photo...thanks for sharing!
Yeah I posted two funny ones.

I always find it kind of funny how Sawyer always looks like he is frowning. I think he get's it from his mother.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=MFV2alp5YTZrdGRLSHVidFhlRUpKVzRBaFZONlVB

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Dangerous misinformation regarding nutrition"..."especially in advocating raw".

:flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail::flail:

It's not funny that you were banned...but WOW...what warped reasoning!

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I was so amused I couldn’t even be upset. :lol:

I just told someone who’s cat had chronic diarrhea that maybe trying a raw diet would help.