Anyone Juicing?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If so what type /brand juicer do you use? Do you like it? Easy to use? Easy to clean? How much was it ? How often do you use it and how long have you had it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Recipes also welcome... my fave is lemon, beet, carrot ,garlic, red pepper , celery, with lettuce or spinich

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I prefer whole fruit to juices.
I so wish I did ... but alas I hate the texture of most fruits

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DH juices. He doesn't use it often, but he likes to juice apples, oranges, grapefruit.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From a nutritional point of view, juicing is one of the worse things you can do.

Consider the amount of fruits/veggies that go into the making of one glass of juice. Now consider the calories of all of that fruit/juice in that one little glass.

For example, would you sit down and eat 8 oranges and 8 apples? No, because you would probably feel so full you would throw up. However, you would sit down and drink a glass of juice that was comprised of that amount of fruit.... and still eat food besides.

Juicing gets rid of the most important aspect of the fruit/veggie....the fibre. Your body needs fibre to help prevent constipation and colon cancer.

You can easily get your 5 to 7 servings of fruit/veggies in a single glass of juice, but you aren't satiating your hunger or getting the needed fibre from those 5 to 7 servings.

In juice you are getting close to 100% sugar. Not very healthy, especially if you are trying to lose weight, or are a diabetic.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Garlic and celery, sharky? It's a good thing you live alone.
That combination would send my DH running.

I do agree, though, you're losing some nutrients if you're juicing a lot. Though, you would gain some vitamins and minerals (like potassium) if drinking a glass along with your meals. A little a day wouldn't be terrible. (I know you know better than to over due it, though
)

I can't help you on recipes, I'm not a big fan of veggie juices. And tomato is a fruit so that doesn't count.
You could try mixing fruit and veggie juice to your particular tastes, though. How do you feel about pineapple or other tropical fruits? Any favorites that if it wasn't for the texture you'd love their flavor?
I wonder what adding a bit of ginger to some combinations would do...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

From a nutritional point of view, juicing is one of the worse things you can do.

Consider the amount of fruits/veggies that go into the making of one glass of juice. Now consider the calories of all of that fruit/juice in that one little glass.

For example, would you sit down and eat 8 oranges and 8 apples? No, because you would probably feel so full you would throw up. However, you would sit down and drink a glass of juice that was comprised of that amount of fruit.... and still eat food besides.

Juicing gets rid of the most important aspect of the fruit/veggie....the fibre. Your body needs fibre to help prevent constipation and colon cancer.

You can easily get your 5 to 7 servings of fruit/veggies in a single glass of juice, but you aren't satiating your hunger or getting the needed fibre from those 5 to 7 servings.

In juice you are getting close to 100% sugar. Not very healthy, especially if you are trying to lose weight, or are a diabetic.
Natalie No worries I was a nutrition major in college
... Nope not a diabetic( lean toward low actually) and this is just to add to instead of empty calorie drinks( for me reg fruit juice is mostly empty calories).. I get 35-50 grams of fiber a day( IBS)... I am looking at juicers that will to the whole fruit or veggie..

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Garlic and celery, sharky? It's a good thing you live alone.
That combination would send my DH running.

I do agree, though, you're losing some nutrients if you're juicing a lot. Though, you would gain some vitamins and minerals (like potassium) if drinking a glass along with your meals. A little a day wouldn't be terrible. (I know you know better than to over due it, though
)

I can't help you on recipes, I'm not a big fan of veggie juices. And tomato is a fruit so that doesn't count.
You could try mixing fruit and veggie juice to your particular tastes, though. How do you feel about pineapple or other tropical fruits? Any favorites that if it wasn't for the texture you'd love their flavor?
I wonder what adding a bit of ginger to some combinations would do...
LOL.. Maybe that is why I am alone
..he he ... I love pineapple, mango , papaya and apple flavors
.. I am looking into a new machine as the old one broke and I bought a very complicated contraption that i got for a steal thus gifted it to a friend who Physically is better off than me

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Juicing vegetables is very healthy and you will find people who juice in the US on the whole tend to live healthier lifestyles and be in better shape body wise.
Plant blood is very good for you! Most 100% real fruit juices (keep some pulp from citrus fruits) are still good in small amounts, but not near as good as the whole fruit. However, some smoothies made from fresh whole fruit that is frozen can be just as good. You can get a lot of fruits in one glass that one might never eat individually in that amount.
I wash all fruits and veggies with vinegar before juicing.
I dunno what model I have, it was a gift many years ago.