Anyone Here Free Feed Wet Food?

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I understand the argument against free feeding cat dry food, but what is the harm with wet food? That the food goes bad? Thinking of free feeding my cat wet food when I got to sleep.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Canned / wet food is a cooked product so it's fine to leave out all day. It may get a little dry sitting in a bowl but most cats are ok with that. You can use a programmable timed feeder to give your cat portion sizes a few times a day or night. Add extra water to each portion or freeze the food first and put the frozen chunk into the feeder to slowly defrost.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
S SeanS
I free feed wet. I offer as meals and leave out a period if they do not finish. Sometimes they want a fresh meal/different flavor, so there is sometimes some waste. (I am a soft touch ).
I do leave a new meal down before I go to sleep. That helps, as they can eat overnight if hungry and in the early morning.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not keen on leaving wet food out too long. About 3 hours is my limit.
Aside from it starting to get crusty (which none of my cats ever would touch) I don't like the idea of dust and other debris in the air falling on the food. And there's always the possibility it could go bad if your home temperature is too warm.
The cooling feeders are a great option. I wish my cats would eat cold food but that too, is not palatable for them.

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I leave wet out after “meal time” so I guess I free feed it. I usually travel often and one of my cats would be nervous eating while the sitter is there so I just got into the habit all the time. It’s never been a problem.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SeanS

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm feeding wellness chicken pate right now, and although she got a clean bill of health on Monday from the vet, she is losing weight since she only wants to eat if I hand feed her.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I leave it out all the time. She's a nervous cat and never eats at the same time so I try to make things easy for her

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I leave out wet food, all morning... sometimes for 6 hours. If it gets hot in here, I will throw it out, and give in to him.....

I free feed, all foods.
I am not allowing Geoffrey to be fussy about this food. I give him wet food in the morning. If he does not eat it, for whatever reason: I tell him that He has to eat it, BEFORE he gets his dry food.

I add some extra water to it, if it dries out.
After he eats the wet food, then I free feed the dry, rest of day and all night.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay, I'm feeding wellness chicken pate right now, and although she got a clean bill of health on Monday from the vet, she is losing weight since she only wants to eat if I hand feed her.
I have one cat like that who will sometimes only eat new foods or foods he is not too keen on if I hand feed him. Usually just a couple bites by hand and then he eats from the dish.
If you are just feeding one flavor, I would try to mix it up a bit and offer other foods for more variety.