Anyone Here Ever Feed "rad Cat Raw Food" Brand?

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to their site and do not see pricing listed. It is expensive?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I cannot find it anywhere local. I was going to buy some from The big bad woof, but that was the same week i read about their recall that was going on, and i just have not. I dont think their price is too bad, the biggest price for me would be the shipping, if you can find it local, that would be so much better.

Search results for "wet cat food"

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to their site and do not see pricing listed. It is expensive?
The price varies tremendously depending on where you buy it. Best thing to do is use their "Where to Buy" search tool to find either a web site to go to or a phone number for a locak source to call.
Rad Cat Raw Diet - Raw Food For Cats

I regularly use Rad Cat as part of my cats diet and considered it to be one of, if not the, best commercial raw food available.

MargoLane

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used Rad Cat, and my cat really loved it and did quite well on it. I think it's great food, and they are really transparent about testing - as someone above mentioned there is a big recall going on right now. They use eggshell powder instead of bone, which is great for IBD cats. But it's much too expensive here in Canada, so I switched to a local company. It was something like $21 before tax for the largest container at Global Pet Foods - to feed exclusively would have been somewhere around $150-200 per month. I still buy it occasionally as a treat.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Rad Cat just announced that they are shutting down. Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats

I'm hoping they'll find an investor!

Rad Cat has been our cats' favorite food for nearly all the five years they've been living with us and I have a sentimental attachment to it because I first fed it to our previous cat -- it was nearly all she'd eat in her last weeks of life.

LadyLondonderry

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am very sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Rad Cat just announced that they are shutting down. Rad Cat Raw Diet Premium Raw Food For Cats

I'm hoping they'll find an investor!

Rad Cat has been our cats' favorite food for nearly all the five years they've been living with us and I have a sentimental attachment to it because I first fed it to our previous cat -- it was nearly all she'd eat in her last weeks of life.
Terrible news. I'm sad for your cats and all the other cats who have been loving this food and doing so well on it! I join you in hoping a new investor will come forth and enable the company to resume operations.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset! The federal agencies were negligent and their mistakes ruined the company. It really was the best-I've been too afraid of messing up to make my own cat food, but now I'm seriously considering it, unless someone else knows of a good raw food company that uses eggshell instead of bone?

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so upset! The federal agencies were negligent and their mistakes ruined the company. It really was the best-I've been too afraid of messing up to make my own cat food, but now I'm seriously considering it, unless someone else knows of a good raw food company that uses eggshell instead of bone?
I don't have a recipe, I'm sorry.
...but I agree that it's the whole recall crap that created a bad image for the company (it's interesting how this "recall" has ruined the company, but larger corporations with big bucks manage to buy their way out pull through.)
I'm bummed about this one. I have never spoke to anyone who has had a bad experience with Rad Cat. People bitch all the time about large companies mass producing food that isn't safe, then stupid stuff like this happens and puts good people doing the right thing out of business.
I feel bad for cats who only like this food, the owners who will have to scramble to find a suitable replacement, but mostly for the owners of the company who did the right thing, did nothing wrong to begin with, and got screwed by big business and internet hysteria in the end. All in an effort to kill the little man.

sophie1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This saddens me beyond words. I rarely bought Rad Cat, but my cats loved it and was always high on my list for backup options. They were one of the first and best raw food companies, and it's sad they've been singled out for destruction this way.

It seems we are back to square one: relying on commercial manufacturers is so uncertain that it's best to make your own raw food. Alnutrin sells a supplement with eggshell calcium, which can be sprinkled over a boneless raw meat and liver mix to make a complete food. I usually get the meat + liver mix at a local poultry farm, buying deboned chicken or turkey thighs with skin plus fresh (never frozen) giblet packages - the liver is about 1/3 of the package. The farm is usually happy to get rid of them, my cats love them beyond measure, and it's much easier than buying a carton of chicken livers and dividing it up.

For those who feed ground bone: I switched recently from Hare Today to WeFeedRaw, and just placed my second order. The quality of the food is stellar, and it's very convenient that the chicken and turkey are pre-mixed to an 80/10/10 ratio. Hare Today just started offering balanced food, but only in freeze dried form. Keeping an eye on their site, because if they start selling those foods in premade frozen patties, I'll definitely order!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just came back from a pet shop that sold Rad Cat Food and they just told me the news. The plant will be closing sometime in the middle of 2019. The reason for, they were having too may recalls as of late, so they had to do a business decision to close.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That’s the reason vets are not proponents of raw diets for cats. They emphasize on bacteria and contaminants in raw meat. Cats in the wild kill and eat their prey immediately, before a lot of bacteria sets in. They’re not scavengers like dogs.

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was using Primal Freeze medallions, but it was too expensive and most bags had freezer burn to the meat. I wish I could do my own raw food but I’m extremely squeamish in handling and cutting raw meat. :(

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I figure I might as well ask this. What exactly was radcat in terms of texture? Was it all chunks or minced meat from a grinder?

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figure I might as well ask this. What exactly was radcat in terms of texture? Was it all chunks or minced meat from a grinder?
Like minced meat from a grinder.

Terrible news. I'm sad for your cats and all the other cats who have been loving this food and doing so well on it! I join you in hoping a new investor will come forth and enable the company to resume operations.
Our cats just love it -- it's been the most dependable food for them. They only get a small Rad Cat meal each day but it's always been important because I've known they'd eat it.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just came back from a pet shop that sold Rad Cat Food and they just told me the news. The plant will be closing sometime in the middle of 2019. The reason for, they were having too may recalls as of late, so they had to do a business decision to close.
So it’ll be several more months before I can’t get it anymore? That’s a relief! I drove around to several different pet stores today and bought about a month’s supply. Assuming she still likes this food now that I stocked up.

But there really isn’t an alternative. Yet.

Totsy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats don't like Rad Cat for some reason, but I'm mad and sad that they have to shut down. I'm hoping they can start anew (maybe a new name even). They seem to be highly ethical and caring and they really got a deal (no pun intended).

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I dint believe they’re making it at all anymore. My pet store said they haven’t gotten a shipment in weeks. Are there any other good alternatives? They have told me that the vital brand has raw chubs which is a similar consistency.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That’s very disappointing. My Krista’s IBD and pancreatitis seemed to resolve overnight on Rad Cat. She also likes the consistency which is important for a dentally challenged senior kitty.