Anyone here allergic to cats?

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to an allergist and was basically told to rehome them. I've bought a good air purifier. I have a robot vacuum run twice a day.

I can't afford my own place so i have them in my bedroom. I struggle to breathe with them in my room and its gotten worse.

Is there anything i can do? I take zrtec and combine it with Benadryl but it's not enough. I'm at the er now because I'm short of breath and been dizzy this past week.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear you had to go to the ER due to dizziness and shortness of breath. 🤗 I also see an allergist and take a med for my symptoms. Did your doctor have any other advice besides rehome the cats, did he prescribe anything for you? You may want to talk to the doctors in the ER since it doesn't sound like your allergist was very sympathetic. I understand having to keep the cats in your bedroom because you can't afford your own place but unfortunately it doesn't help your allergies. I wish there was an easier solution. Please keep us posted after your ER visit. Sending special thoughts.:vibes::vibes:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have three cats and cat allergies.

Since you keep them in the bedroom it's hard. Get rid of any cloth in the room you don't need (curtains, bed skirts, area rugs, etc). The cloth holds in the allergens and can make it harder. I'd cover your bed with a sheet when you aren't sleeping to reduce hair on the bedding (if you reuse the same sheet make sure you know which side is bed side). Wash bedding at least twice a week and don't let the cats on pillows or sheets. If they go on pillows already, get a separate pillow you sleep with. If you can, sleep with windows open or have windows open whenever possible to keep fresh air coming in.

Medication wise, I use zyrtec (or Claritin, I switch whenever a bottle runs out) and Flonase daily (sensamist version is soft on nose) plus Benedryl just before bed. I also have Advair for my asthma symptoms and a rescue inhaler if I need it. But I'd ask to see a different allergist because the one saying just rehome and not willing to work with you to manage your symptoms sounds just rude.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I went to an allergist and was basically told to rehome them. I've bought a good air purifier. I have a robot vacuum run twice a day.

I can't afford my own place so i have them in my bedroom. I struggle to breathe with them in my room and its gotten worse.

Is there anything i can do? I take zrtec and combine it with Benadryl but it's not enough. I'm at the er now because I'm short of breath and been dizzy this past week.
This article may be useful to you. Hope you feel better soon.

evr_ct_facts-about-cat-dander-and-allergies